16 September 1971 (age 50)
Prasoon Joshi (born 16 September 1971) is an Indian lyricist, screenwriter and advertising copywriter. A prolific Writer-Poet who's first book of 3 books "Main aur Woh" was published when he was 17 years of age, an internationally acclaimed Indian advertising professional, Bollywood film songwriter, as well as a dialogue and screenwriter who won Filmfare Best Lyricist Award, consecutively in 2007 and 2008, columnist , a respected speaker.
Early life and education
Prasoon Joshi was born on 16 September 1971 in Almora, Uttarakhand, India, where he spent a part of his childhood, and since his father, D. K. Joshi, served as a PCS officer (civil service), with the state government and later became Additional Director-Education, he spent his growing years in various towns including Narendra Nagar, Tehri, Chamoli Gopeshwar, and later Rampur, Meerut and Dehradun . Both his parents are qualified classical vocalists, in fact his mother, sushma Joshi, who was a lecturer in Political Science, also performed for All India Radio for over three decades .
He started writing early in life and published his first book at age 17, Main aur Woh — a ‘conversation with himself’, inspired by Frederich Nietzsche’s Thus Spake Zarathustra , subsequently he has published two more books.
After his schooling, he did his B.Sc. and Post Graduation in Physics, thereafter he did his MBA from Institute of Management Technology, a business school located in Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, India. During his MBA education he decided to make his career in advertising.
He started his career with Ogilvy & Mather (O&M) Delhi, and after working there for over 10 years, he joined McCann-Erickson, in early 2002. By 2006, he was Regional creative director, South and South East Asia, when in December 2006 he was elevated to Executive Chairman for McCann Worldgroup India and Regional Creative Director Asia Pacific..
He made his debut as film lyricist with Rajkumar Santoshi's Lajja, which soon led to Yash Chopra's Hum Tum and a string of popular Bollywood films, Fanaa, Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Black, Hum Tum and Delhi 6. With Rang De Basanti (2006), he also became a dialogue writer
Prasoon has also created many advertisements like NDTV India ("Sach dikhate hain hum"), Saffola ("Abhi to main jawan hoon") LG, Marico, Perfetti (Alpenliebe, Chloromint), and the thanda matlab campaign for Coca Cola with Aamir Khan, Happydent -which is considered by experts as India's best ad till date, he has rightfully earned the title of "the ad Guru of India" .
In 2006, he was chosen a 'Young Global Leader 2006' by the Forum of Young Global Leaders, an affiliate of the World Economic Forum, and in 2007, he appeared as judge of reality singing competition Dhoom Macha De on NDTV Imagine . In 2008 he was invited as the Cannes Jury Chairman and in 2009, he was named amongst the exclusive 10-member Cannes Titanium & Integrated Jury 2009 at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival 2009
Prasoon met his wife Aparna, also an advertising professional, while working at O&M Delhi, later they married and the couple now have a daughter named Aishaanya.
* Delhi 6 (2009)
* Ghajini (2008)
* Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic (2008)
* Taare Zameen Par (2007)
* Fanaa (2006)
* Rang De Basanti (2006)
* Black (2005)
* Rok Sako To Rok Lo (2004)
* Phir Milenge (2005)
* Hum Tum (2004)
* Aankhen (2002)
* Lajja (film) (2001)
He has been the lyricist for several Indipop albums which have been hits:
* Mann ke Manjeere: an album of women's dreams for Breakthrough for Shubha Mudgal (2000)
* Ab ke Saawan for Shubha Mudgal(1999)
* Dooba Dooba Rehta Hoon" for Silk Route
He has created the advertisements for the following products:
* Coca Cola - `Thanda Matlab Coca-Cola'
* Asian paints
* NDTV India
* CNN IBN - India Rising
* Pulse Polio Program
* Vacao Scooty
* Close up
Public Service Campaigns
* Breakthrough Trusts'Anti HIV campaign
* Pulse Polio
* National Literacy Mission- Child Education Films
* UN Millennium Goals- Anti poverty Campaign
* Anti child abuse
* Cancer Patients society- Against Tobacco consumption
* Tsunami relief; album Asha wali dhoop with Ustad zakir hussian ,
* Lau- an album that focusses on hope for the HIV positive.
* Sapna dekha hai maine- for the girl child, Anthem for CRY (Child Rights and You)
His poetic outburst "Iss baar nahin" in the wake of the mumbai terror attacks in 2008 gave a voice to the angst of millions of Indians. Prasoon Joshi is also part of the select three member Core Creative Advisory Committee for the Commonwealth Games 2010 along with Shri Shyam Benegal and Shri Javed Akhtar.
* 2002: ABBY : Best Copywriter and the Best Ad Campaign
* 2003: Cannes Lion Award: Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival: Thanda Matlab Coca-Cola campaign.
* He has won more than 200 advertising awards .
* Awarded by Media magazine- No 1 Creative director in Asia Pacific 2007 .
* 2005: Star Screen Award for Best Lyricist: Hum Tum: Sason ko Sason
* 2007: Filmfare Best Lyricist Award: Fanaa: Chand Sifarish .
* 2008: National Film Award:Best Lyrics: Taare Zameen Par
* 2008: Filmfare Best Lyricist Award: Taare Zameen Par: Maa .
* 2009: [[Indian of the year(NDTV) Entertainer of the Year 2008. Special Award for Lyrics.
1. ^ a b c d Meet Prasoon Joshi, India's ad guru by Shyamal Majumdar. Rediff.com, October 19, 2005.
2. ^ Prasoon Joshi Interview creativeuttarakhand (Myor Pahad).
3. ^ a b Breakfast With Prasoon Joshi Economic Times', May 3, 2008.
4. ^ McCann top deck gets a new look Economic Times, Dec 16, 2006.
5. ^ Adman Prasoon Joshi has now turned dialogue-writer! The Times of India, Dec 12, 2005.
6. ^ Prasoon Joshi chosen Young Global Leader Rediff.com, January 13, 2006.
7. ^ NDTV ropes in Shankar Mahadevan and Prasoon Joshi Wednesday, November 28, 2007.
8. ^ Prasoon Joshi on Cannes Titanium jury Economic Times, Feb 27, 2009.
9. ^ See euttaranchal.
10. ^ Prasoon Joshi. Rising Indian Business Line, The Hindu, February 08, 2007.
* Prasoon Joshi at the Internet Movie Database - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1535946/
* Prasoon Joshi on ads, awards and brain drain at Rediff.com - http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/jul/13inter.htm
* Prasoon Joshi at Merapahad.com - http://www.merapahad.com/forum/personalities-of-uttarakhand/prasoon-joshi-ad-guru-lyricist-in-bollyhood-from-uttarakhand/
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasoon_Joshi )
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.