There are several bands and artists using the name Phalanx:
1) A free jazz band from the mid-late 80's.
Like the New York Art Quartet had done two decades before, Phalanx came and went in the mid-1980s, an ad-hoc supergroup that thrived and disappeared. Original Phalanx captures the quartet in a rumbling, springy glory, alight through James "Blood" Ulmer's craftily detuned guitar and the build-it-and-wobble-it rhythmic playing of bassist Sirone and drummer Rashied Ali. The star, though, is the late George Adams. His playing is inspired, swinging so hard and high that the musical registers turn to blurs. The band's tunes are vaguely Ornette Coleman-ish, in that they build off quick, melodic statements that sound at times like four-way solos. Then the band's off, Ulmer and Adams pursuing solo logic on one plane, the rhythm section on another. They peak on Adams's "Playground," which rings with poignancy and punch-it-up power. But Sirone's minor-key, episodic "Free Spirit" is likewise a work of genius, achieving a stellar balance of passion, intellect, and gusto. –Andrew Bartlett
2) German hands up / dance artist Manian's trance project.
3) A defunct Irish metal band from Loughrea, Ireland. Released one demo under the name "Adrenaline" a couple of years before releasing their first album "Begging for More"
4) An Australian Progressive Death Doom metal band.
5) A primitive-noise project by Kixly
6) A hungarian drum and bass producer (Impulse Modulations)
7) A thrash metal band from Germany with two albums. The Judas Touch (1993) and Look Behind The Mask (1998)
8) A defunct crust/hardcore band from Seattle, WA 1998-2003. Released s/t cassette tape in 1999. Released split 7" with Decrepit in 2001. Went on West Coast US tour with Born/Dead and Kontraklasse from Long Beach in 2001. Released s/t CD in 2002, and did a European tour that Fall. The following year they released the LP version of the CD in 2003 and went on a full US tour with Born/Dead.
9) An award winning male a cappella group from Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.