You are viewing an old version of this wiki. View the latest version.
8 December 1967 (age 49)
Lichtenvoorde, Oost Gelre, Gelderland, Netherlands
Junkie XL (also JXL) is musician Tom Holkenborg, born in Lichtenvoorde, The Netherlands on 8 December 1967. He resides in the United States. After producing and touring with the Dutch group Weekend at Waikiki, he split with them in 1995 and began writing his own tracks as Junkie XL in 1997. He has worked with many electronic music artists, including Sander Kleinenberg, DJ Tiësto and Sasha.
In 2002 he left Holland to live and work in the United States where he works on soundtracks for movies and computergames.
He uses the name "JXL" in those cases where the term Junkie might cause offense.
Some of his better-known songs include:
* "Today" (the title track from his 2006 release Today)
* "Future in Computer Hell" (featured on Sasha's Global Underground 013: Ibiza)
* "A Little Less Conversation" (remix of Elvis Presley's original as JXL)
* "Zerotonine" (featured on Dave Seaman's Global Underground 016: Cape Town)
* "Beauty Never Fades" (feat. Saffron of Republica, featured in a promotional video of the game EvE-Online)
* "Breezer" (with Sasha, featured on Deep Dish's Global Underground 025: Toronto)
* "Obsession" (with DJ Tiësto)
* "Feuer frei! (Rammstein vs. Junkie XL remix)" (B-side on Rammstein's Feuer frei! single)
* "Crusher" (feat. Saffron of Republica) - Theme song of Quantum Redshift
* "Outrageous (JXL Remix)" on the Limited Edition of Britney Spears' Greatest Hits: My Prerogative Album with the Bonus Remix CD.
* "Beauty On The Fire" (Remix for the Natalie Imbruglia single)
* "Action Radius" (the track from the game Need for Speed: Underground)
* "And Then We Kiss" (Junkie XL Remix) featured on B in the Mix: The Remixes by Britney Spears.
He has produced a remixed version of the Sims theme music for the computer game The Sims 2: Nightlife, and the entire soundtrack for the Xbox racing game Forza Motorsport. He has also provided music for the films Kingdom of Heaven, Domino and the upcoming DOA: Dead or Alive. His song "Today" was featured as one of Burnout Legends' EA Trax, apparently before the album was released.He also produced a remix of the Destroy All Humans! theme which can be heard on the credits or from the soundtrack.
There are also 2 tracks remixed by Junkie XL found on the Need for Speed: Carbon soundtrack. He composed the entire SSX: Blur soundtrack.
While JXL is considered to be an electronic music artist, he is surprisingly connected to the heavy metal culture: apart from providing remixes to both Fear Factory and Rammstein, he is signed to metal-label Roadrunner Records and has appeared on Roadrunner United.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.