22 December 1981 (age 36)
With her dark and mysterious sounding voice, Frida Snell made her debut with the single, ‘Lucky Day’. The song became a hit, spending not fewer than 16 weeks in the Swedish charts. During the same time, Frida was contracted to do a full international launch.
Frida writes, performs and produces her own music. In addition to her singing, Frida has also played bass, drums, guitar and keyboard in a variety of bands based in her hometown of Kiruna.
It was in Kiruna, 700 meters underground in a mine, when Stockholm Records first made contact with Frida’s father after hearing her demo tape a couple of years ago. It seemed as if someone had phoned a wrong number until it became clear that it really was the record company seeking Frida. However, a firm contact was later to be established between her and the record company.
-Yes it was quite comical really, I had put my fathers mobile number down on the demo tape. So when the record company A&R, Anders Johansson called, Dad explained that he was at work down in the mine and for a few moments Anders though he was joking but everything turned out well in the end, says Frida.
After this, Frida was to leave her home-town of Kiruna in order to move to Stockholm.
On the question of her musical influences, Frida answers:
- I have always had a strong liking for female singer/songwriters like Julie Miller and Tori Amos, but I listen even more to the Beastie Boys. In fact I like all music that feels genuine. I just love music, it’s the most important component in my life. I love to write music and lyrics, but to then go on and produce and perform the music is a whole other dimension for me.
Frida’s debut single, "Lucky Day", released in late 2001, is a suggestive and immediate rock song based on a constant guitar riff emphasising Frida’s warm voice.
The single became a airplay and sales hit in Sweden, Switzerland and Austria.
In January 2003 Frida was nominated at the Swedish Grammies for the best female artist of 2002 and P3 Radio station nominated Frida for female artist of the year. Frida´s appearance and personality was appreciated by magazines like Cafe and Slitz who included Frida in their list of Sweden’s 100 sexiest women. Even the gay magazine, QX noticed Frida when they named her as one of Sweden’s five sexiest women.
In the media in general and particularly in the girls magazines, Frida has earned a reputation as a welcome alternative to the more ‘frivolous’ pop artists world. Articles have often discussed the ‘genius’ and ‘multitalented’ Frida Snell.
Frida´s musical direction is diverse. On her second single – Bullet With Butterfly Wings - she chose to work with one of Europe´s biggest names in jazz, german Till Brönner. The evening papers and the music press have taken turns to congratulate Frida on her version of Smashing Pumpkins ‘Bullet with Buttefly Wings’.
Frida´s third single is a “Saturday Night” and is about the boredom you might feel in your life, once in a while. And the ways of avoiding and getting out of this boredom.
• Frida Snell was discovered by the record company when she was just 15 years old. She bought a The Cardigans album and thought that their record company would also like her music.
• When Frida wrote the songs for her first record, she was living at home in Norrland and was more or less cut of from the outside world, having no Radio or TV and minimal contact. Today, Frida owns a TV but hardly ever watches it.
• Despite the fact that Frida hasn’t had any experience of acting, quite a few producers and directors have expressed an interest in Frida and offered her some parts. There’s been some speculation that Frida will audition for some of them.
• Frida Snell is the first international artist that has recorded her video in Romania. Nicole Kidman went there the week after to work on her forthcoming film.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.