You are viewing an old version of this wiki. View the latest version.
There are five bands called Despair: On the main picture you may see the japanese one.
1) Despair was a technical thrash metal band from Germany, featuring multi-instrumentalist Waldemar Sorychta. They release their first album "History of Hate" in 1988 with following line-up:
Waldemar Sorychta – guitar, vocals
Robert Kampf – vocals
Markus Freiwald – drums
Marek Greschek – guitar
Klaus Pachura - bass
In 1990, they released their second album, "Decay of Humanity" with Andreas Hentschel as vocalist. Two years after, in 1992, "Beyond All Reason" album came out, but then Despair split, and Sorychta continued his work with Voodoocult and Grip, Inc.
2) DESPAIR produce the most extreme form of industrial music in existence in Japan today.
Latest 5-track EP 'Deserted Technology Riot' (2006/12/02) redefines the brutal vision first laid out in 2004's debut 'Beautiful Japanese Sight', with track speeds reaching the 180-220bpm mark.
First vomited forth by a stagnant Japanese music scene in 2001, DESPAIR quickly rose to prominence thanks to an uncompromisingly aggressive sound and dynamic stage presence.
In 2005, DESPAIR made their European debut with dates in the U.K. and at 'Wave Gotik Treffen', sharing the stage with such luminaries as Psyclon Nine and Haujobb.
Guitar, bass and drums - the traditional tools of a rock band - have been abandoned in favour of a totally technological approach.
All original and found sounds are mangled and re-processed into a brutal industrial sound-collage which recalls the structural approach of classic Skinny Puppy, punctuated by periods of ambient tranquility reminiscent of a melancholy film score.
This musical style is mirrored in the lyrics, where the intentionally-scrambled English forms new rhythmic patterns of meaning akin to the cut-up texts of William Burroughs, delivered in the twin primal screams of front-duo Rieu and Ana.
DESPAIR - the cyberpunk soundtrack of 21st-century Tokyo's disaffected underground.
3) DESPAIR was a 90's metallic hardcore band, fronted by Scott Vogel (Terror, Buried Alive, Slugfest, among others). And then, there was moshing…
4) Black Metal band from Wales, UK. Releasing their debut EP on Scottish experimental label, Dead Eternity Records.
5) Heavy metal band from Poland. They released their first promo 'No Escape'. More info here: http://myspace.com/despairtheband
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.