1971 – present (48 years)
- Julian Colbeck (1971 – 1980)
- Terry Thomas (1971 – 1986)
At least eight artists run under the name 'Charlie' :
1) An Italo Disco songwriter
2) An NYC Based R&B singer-songwriter
3) An English rockgroup
4) A Hungarian singer
5) A Danish "Popstars" contestant "Carina Juul Jensen"
6) A French "Chansons" singer
7) An Italian Hardcore Punk band
8) A Canadian singer-songwriter and winner of The Next Star season 4 on YTV
9) An American singer-songwriter hailing from Charlotte, NC
10) An Norwegian girl from Ski
11) A Spanish rapper from Madrid
12) A Japanese EDM-pop duo
1) An Italo Disco songwriter
Charlie is a one-time moniker of Maurizio Cavalieri, used for the release of the song Spacer Woman. M. Cavalieri was also part of the bands Firefly (his first and longest running dance-oriented project, along with Maurizio Sangineto), I.M.S and tons of other Italian Disco and Italo Disco side projects.
2) American R&B Artist
Vocalist. lyricist. pianist. composer. producer. Charlie lives and breathes music. Creating smooth soulful songs that capture the human experience, Charlie fuses his natural affinity to R&B with soul, funk, blues, and Middle Eastern flavors.
Originally from Fairfield, Connecticut, Charlie grew up with a diverse musical soundscape including: Jazz, R&B, Historical & Contemporary Pop and traditional Greek and Arab Gypsy music. He has performed mostly recently at The 2006 NYC Gay Pride Celebration as well as The 2006 GLBT expo and numerous New York City concert venues. Charlie has also performed concerts of traditional and contemporary gospel music for Queen Noor at The United Nations and at The GLBT Community Center. He wrote, arranged, and co-produced his 10 song self-entitled debut album with Grammy winning producer, Tommy Faragher.
3) The English Band
The jazz-inflected, London-based group Charlie was as well-known for the sexy babes on their album covers as they were for their close, smooth harmonies and slick, catchy singles like ´Turning´ and ´Watching TV.´ The band´s core lineup consisted of vocalist/guitarist Terry Thomas (who had also been in a band with Free and Bad Company´s Simon Kirke), bassist/vocalist John Anderson (formerly of Axe) and drummer Steve Gadd (not to be confused with the american session-drummer), and a wide array of supporting players, including keyboardist Julian Colbeck, guitarist Martin Smith, auxiliary drummer Shep Lonsdale and former Argent members Bob Henrit and John Verity. Their radio-friendly sound debuted in 1976 with ´Fantasy Girls´ and the group managed a steady stream of moderate FM hits in the US and the UK, including 1978´s ´Killer Cut´ and ´She Loves To Be In Love.´ However, Charlie´s biggest success came with the 1983 hit ´It's Inevitable,´ which recieved considerable airplay from MTV and was featured on their self-titled 7th album. Despite the added prominence this single and tours with the Doobie Brothers, Styx, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and the Kinks brought them, the group remained primarily a cult favorite for their nearly decade-long career. Charlie´s swan song came in 1984 with ´In Pursuit Of Romance´, which featured Thomas as the only original member. Four of their albums – ´Fight Dirty´, ´Good Morning America´, ´Here Comes Trouble´ and ´No Second Chance´ – were re-released as CD two-fer packages from Renaissance Records in the late 90´s; the label also released ´Best Of Charlie´ in early 2000.
In 2009 the band released a new album named Kitchens of Distinction
4) The Hungarian Singer
Born Karoly Horvath in 28 October, 1947, started to play in grammar school in József Attila Gimnázium, Székesfehérvár. Once part of groups like Decca, Olympia and General in the 60s and 70s. Performed for a time in Norway, Switzerland, Spain, Japan. Returning in the earlier 90s, together with Tibor Tatrai he founded Tatrai Band, playing progressive rock/blues music. He plays together with the best musicians in Hungary, and his albums are sold very well all over the world.
5) Also of Note: One of the more famous non-winners of Danish television show "Popstars" was called Charlie. He only made one album, "I'm just me", which, sadly, did not achieve a breakthrough.
7) Italian Hardcore Punk band
They released a split CD with Neid in 2008:
8) Melissa "Charlie" Storwick is a Canadian singer-songwriter and winner of The Next Star season 4. She later called herself "Charlie" when contestant April suggested it to be her stage name. Storwick won the competition and the title "The Next Star" on September 25, 2011. She has written and produced the song "Good As Gone" with a full length music video for it. Charlie has more songs that have been announced she will be releasing soon.
9) Charles Whitten is an American born singer-songwriter from Charlotte, NC. His first album, Dreaming, sports a neo psychedelic blues folk feel. http://hearcharlie.com/
10) Ski-girl Charlie (Charlotte Tepstad Carlsen) has big ambitions, and dreams of becoming a singer. During the past few months, she has managed to work with some of the best songwriters in the world and has gone to learn dance from Justin Bieber’s own dancers in Los Angeles.
11) Spanish Charlie is a rapper from Canillejas (Madrid), part of the Hijos Bastardos duo with Nasta. Charlie is part of the underground Spanish hip hop scene, with the majority of releases coming through loose tracks.
12) Produce project by PES and Shimojima Shogo, first album "CHARIO"
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.