You are viewing an old version of this wiki. View the latest version.
1983 – present (34 years)
Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Ausgang was a wildly brilliant, and wildly unique band that rose from Birmingham UK in 1983. They began as "Kabuki" with a single called "I Am A Horse". After a lineup change, they renamed to the outlaw-ish Ausgang, German for "The Way Out".
Their music is best described as Sex Gang Children meets the Birthday Party. The wild bass thumping, the broken guitar string of a voice, and rattling, twisted guitars with erratic and complicated drums. Their timing method often varried even within single songs, making it hard for daft people to follow, but their stage shows more than made up for it for those who needed something a bit extra. Often tumbling around barefoot and biting each other, their looks were also extreme. They resembeld a post apocalyptic band of rovers, shirtless, in black leathers and enourmously spiked hair.
Ausgang had a lot to offer. They played with bands like Sex Gang Children, Death Cult, and Gene Loves Jezebel. Three EPs, one 45, and an LP and a fanzine "Stab the Sun" was enough for them, until they changed their name to "Ausgang-A-Go-Go" to rid themselves of their unwanted "Goth" tag. Mellowed down but still fantastic, dwindling record sales for whatever reason prompted them to quit music alltogether, though Max (Vocals) would play clarinet for Andi Sex Gang. Ausgang was also featured in Mick Mercer's "Gothic Rock Book" with a large article and several photos.
In 2004 Ausgang reformed and came back to play their first official gig after 20 years as headliner of the "Under Cover of Darkness Festival" in Münster (Germany). Since that many other gigs followed…
* September 2004 @ Drop Dead Festival in New York City (US)
* February 2005 @ Away from the Pulsebeat in Rotterdam (Netherlands)
* February 2005 @ Backdoors in Prato (Italy)
* March 2005 @ Afterworld Festival in Vevey (Switzerland)
* April 2005 @ Dead and Buried in London (UK)
* June 2005 @ Gothic Punk Festival in Leipzig (Germany)
* October 2005 @ Manic Depression in Paris (France)
* October 2005 @ The Windsor(Upstairs) in Birmingham (UK)
* November 2005 @ Heaven's Gate Festival in Strasbourg (France)
* June 2006 @ Wave Gotik Treffen Festival in Leipzig (Germany)
* September 2006 @ Drop Dead Festival in New York City (US)
* November 2006 @ Old Skull in Warsaw (Poland)
* November 2006 @ Skeletal Remains in Berlin (Germany)
For upcoming events check the official band website!!!
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.