There are at least three bands named 'Astra':
1) American psych/prog rock
2) Italian progressive metal
3) Estonian electronic/dance
1) Astra formed in San Diego, CA in the year 2001 as Silver Sunshine. They released their eponymous debut album in 2004 on Empyrean Records, followed by "A Small Pocket of Pure Spirit" - their evolved EP in 2005 on the same label. With the departure of original Silver Sunshine drummer Iain Andrew Sclater, and the joining of new drummer/multi-instrumentalist David Hurley in 2006, their sound and direction evolved and grew. They have decided to change their name along with their sound and lineup and are now known as ASTRA. The line-up consisting of Richard Vaughan (guitar/mellotron/vocals), Conor Riley (guitar/mellotron/arp odyssey/organ/vocals), Stuart Sclater (bass), David Hurley (drums/flute/various noisemakers) and Brian Ellis (guitar, moog) released their debut full length album entitled: The Weirding in 2009. Astra released their sophomore album The Black Chord on March 29, 2012.
2) Italian progressive metal band Astra originally started as a Dream Theater cover band, winning the first Italian Official Dream Theater Tribute Band Contest in 2002. At the end of 2005 they began recording their debut album "About Me: Through Life and Beyond", which was released in August 2006. Their second album "From Within" was released February 2009.
3) Astra Põder, an Estonian musician.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.