7. Jan. 2009, 17:41 von MyHeartsBeat
25. Dez. 2008, 22:37 von jake_hennemanhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qwOmOSIcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
Tim Fite - Fair Ain't Fair
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Micah P. Hinson - Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra
Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
The Accidental - There Were Wolves
Lykke Li - Youth Novels
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster..., We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
The Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead
21. Dez. 2008, 21:07 von youshouldbefreei was much more excited about 2008 early in the year, but some releases ended up lower on the list than i expected. a ton of new stuff, though, that i'm still sorting through while obsessively reading other top-10 lists online.
so here's mine:
10. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
very pretty. definitely glad i found it.
9. The Dodos - Visiter
such a great sound, and the first 1/3 of the album is fantastic (along with a little bit of the rest).
8. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
an imperfect album, but weezy was a big part of my 2008, and it would be a shame not to include him. i'm totally baffled by Mr. Carter being left out of best-tracks-of-08 lists.
7. The Music Tapes - Music Tapes for Clouds and Tornadoes
there's just so much joy in julian koster. seeing him alongside jeff mangum was almost too good, but this album is pretty great too.
6. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
i admittedly had unfair expectations for this one. …
20. Dez. 2008, 20:23 von karmaonionhooray, it's year-end list time!
i don't know if i had a short attention span this year or what, but i totally agree with the npr folks that this year was stronger for single tracks rather than albums. most of these (with some exceptions) were albums that featured a handful of awesome songs, and then some filler i tended to ignore/skip over. anyway, my top 10:
10. The Dodos - Visiter
Red And Purple = awesome.
9. Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer
overall i found this album disappointing, especially compared to their first album, but it still had some killer songs, especially Soldier's Grin.
8. Mates of State -Re-Arrange Us
cutesy, i know, but i still love em.
7. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
weirdest album ever, yet totally hypnotizing. i spent a solid few weeks listening to only 3 Peat and Mr. Carter over and over.
6. The Music Tapes - Music for Clouds and Tornadoes
<3 julian koster. and static.
5. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
6. Dez. 2008, 21:54 von errgh
6. Sep. 2008, 2:27 von errgh
29. Mai. 2008, 22:17 von wildhoney269Wed 28 May – Langhorne Slim, The Builders & the Butchers
Langhorne Slim and the War Eagles played at Schubas which is a really intimate venue since it holds less than a hundred people. Everyone there was just hanging out, having a good time and ready to hear some good music. I went up to the front so I could take some pictures. Unfortunately I forgot to charge my camera after Los Campesinos! the night before so I only got a few pics which was really frustrating because there were some great shots to be had.
The Builders & the Butchers opened the show but we only caught the last two or three songs. I would have liked to see more of them. While they were playing I was busy trying to get a Langhorne Slim t-shirt. I do need to give Langhorne Slim props for their t-shirt offerings! There was a good variety of t-shirts, they had both men's and women's styles, AND they offered t-shirts in XL. I like mine roomy and I find at so many concerts that I don't buy a t-shirt because they are all too small. …