How to Apply
To apply for any of these positions, please send an email to , with the job title as your subject. Note, no agencies will be considered.
Please include a short cover letter, with the following:
- Your Last.fm user name
- Your CV
- Your current notice period
- Your eligibility to work in the UK
- Your salary expectation
We reserve the right to be unimpressed if you can’t follow these simple instructions. Unless otherwise stated, all positions will be full time, and based at Last.fm HQ in Old Street, London (see our full address).
Last.fm does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, sexual orientation, or any other basis covered by local law. All matters related to employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
If you would like to be considered for employment opportunities with Last.fm and need special assistance due to a disability or accommodation for a disability, please specify this in your application.
Last.fm is looking for talented developers to help design, build and deploy features used by millions of people each month. You’ll join a team of 5 back-end developers, working closely with our front-end team, using modern tools to collaborate on systems written in Python, Java, Scala and C++.
We take messy, crowd-sourced data from music listeners worldwide, and process it to provide global and personal music taste statistics, an “IMDB” style knowledge-base of all music, and recommendations unique to each user. We are a social network that continues to enjoy a large, passionate, active user base with hundreds of millions of users, and we are active on many platforms, with web, desktop and mobile applications.
We process billions of data points per month, bringing together third-party applications and services with integrations in Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, VLC, Sonos, and many others.
Our vision is to be the connective tissue of music on the internet. We strive to unlock information about your personal relationship to the music you love, and the relationships between music and the rest of the world.
- Work in a team of experienced developers on a codebase of micro-services that manage terabytes of data. These services are written in a number of languages, but primarily Python and Java.
- Collaborate with the team to write clear, efficient, tested code.
- Write and integrate backend services to deliver processed data for internal and external APIs
- Develop code as part of a wider team through pair programming, code reviews, BDD, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Write data processing jobs working with raw data leveraging Spark or Hadoop.
- Contribute to both service-level and system-wide architecture
- Help us evolve our development standards, design patterns and production processes.
- Deploy and maintain applications to production environments
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
- Help us to deliver our vision, not just the work that’s written.
Desired experience and skills
We do not believe in matching against a list of buzzwords - we look for smart people with good general programming skills as we believe that clever developers can learn new technologies quickly and well. However, it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a genuine interest in learning them):
- Server-side programming in a high level language like Java, Python or C++
- Spark or Hadoop; HDFS; SQL / Postgres
- Docker; Linux
- Agile development methodologies including scrum, code reviews, pair programming, unit testing, continuous integration
- Object oriented design and development; design patterns
- Performance and scalability tuning, algorithms and computational complexity
- Open source libraries and tools such as Apache Commons, Git, Jira, Jenkins, GNU, Tornado
- All things Linux (bash scripting, grep, sed, awk etc.)
- MS/BS degree in a computer science field or related discipline is helpful but not essential
- Processing massive structured and unstructured data sets.
- API design
What we offer
- An environment where elegant, clean, maintainable code is favoured over messy hacks.
- A friendly, smart team who are keen to share their knowledge and learn new things.
- An environment where everyone’s ideas are valued and we create the product together.
- See your creation used and loved by millions of users.
- Influence the product: build things to help you get more out of music, as well as that benefiting users.
- A chance to work with massive data sets containing hundreds of billions of items.
- Opportunities to learn and apply new technologies.
- Improve your skills in foosball, table tennis and/or pool.
- Flexible working environment.
- Full corporate benefits (we are a wholly owned subsidiary of CBS)
- Excellent location in brand new offices by Old Street roundabout.
Last.fm is looking for a Web Developer to join our small web development team.
You will be part of a team that delivers well thought-through and measured features each sprint. We think that everyone should be hands-on and there are opportunities to work across the whole stack, from back-end to front-end. We collaborate closely with everyone in the company; product, design and support, through to the infrastructure and commercial teams. We also collaborate closely with each other; we like to review each other's work, share techniques and design things as a team.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Prototype then build features, working together with the design and product teams
- Build responsive, accessible features that work across multiple platforms
- Work on a user-facing product used by millions of people
- Hack on things and not be afraid to innovate to get the job done
- Improve journeys on the site, with a user focus
- Maintain and update style guides as new interface problems are solved or designs changed
- Have many opportunities to be inventive, and have your ideas expanded into full features
- Hone your skills by drawing on the strengths of your colleagues
- Solve the unique problems that come with a website that operates at such a large scale, such as performance, A/B testing, service architecture and lazy-loading
- Gather hard evidence to support your ideas
- Professional with several years of experience
- Willing to tackle the hard problems first
- Proud to work to a high standard
- Able to put yourself in the shoes of many different users
- Strong experience with Python/Django or something comparable
- Solid understanding of how to build and optimise sites that are accessed across different platforms and devices
- Enough Linux experience to get by
- Experience with version control (Subversion / Git)
- Feel comfortable with Test Driven Development
- Have worked with mobile apps or other non-web interfaces
- Have a keen eye for graphical and/or interaction design
- Mash-up APIs in your spare time
- Know how to conduct user testing sessions
- Know your factory from your singleton, and when not to use either
- Know how to set up effective experiments in Google Analytics