One major issue with the album is the fact that it is not genre bending like her last record was. Blackout was a record that transcended taste levels. I found all my Britney/pop hating friends openly admitting to loving that record. Circus is not that way. It is a straight up bubble gum pop record aimed only at a select group of listeners. It might do what it does well, but what it does do is extremely limited. Everyone one of those pop/Britney hating people I know who loved Blackout hate this record as it is the type of music they have always hated her for.
1.Womanizer – Awful. Her worst single ever. The beat is nothing but alarm sounds and clicks. Her voice is annoying and squawky. The lyrics are idiotic. It’s an all around horrible song. One of her worst songs for sure. But I will say it sets the mood for a collection of Euro Trash confections that are about to follow.
2. Circus – Basic filler. Its okay but nothing really interesting. A bit bland. Has potential but it constantly turns ballad-like in the middle.
3. Out from Under – Not nearly as good as the original. Britney’s thin voice zaps all emotion out of this ballad. Britney should NOT make ballads. The beat was also changed and now it sounds very 1999.
4. Kill the Lights – Another filler track. But It is one of the better tracks. Good enough to be sing-songy, but not good enough to be memorable. It would probably have to be one of the albums stand out tracks though.
5. Shattered Glass – Dancey. Probably leans to being one of the better songs on the CD. That said it’s nothing amazing. Very tame and extremely bubble gum. The chorus sounds very Euro Trash. It also suffers from ballad-like interludes and the run time of the song is questionable.
6. If U Seek Amy – The best song. The hook is strong and the beat is catchy. The gimmick is also amusing. Probably my favorite song.
7. Unusual You – Super boring. It’s basically an electro ballad. Puts you to sleep.
8. Blur – A super boring nothing song. Slow and dull. Lifeless. One of the worst songs.
9. Mmm Papi – Horrific. The beat is like something out of Austin Powers meets Aqua. The lyrics are horrible. The song is cringe worthy.
10. Mannequin – One of the best songs. It’s quick and dancey. I like it a lot. The demo was better, but I can’t really take points away for that as nobody was supposed to hear the demo.
11. Lace and Leather – Not impressive. The song sounds like bad late 80’s R&B. Very Prince knock off. I’ve heard so many better Prince knock offs. Sounds like a Futuresex-Lovesounds lost track. That’s not a good thing.
12. My Baby – Worst song. Super boring. Why is this on the CD? To make people say “aww she loves her kids.” Super pretentious.
13. Rock Me In – Why on earth did she decide to make a Shut Up and Drive knock off? That song was horrible! So is this one. It does have a little bit of a Euro Trash quality to it as well. It does have a much better hook than Rihanna’s song though.
14. Phonography – Sounds super Euro Trash. Very Vengaboys. It’s almost funny. The song is about phone sex, a topic she’s done before. It’s such a silly trashy song. I sort of can’t believe she would record a song like this.
15. Amnesia – A tiny bit 80’s sounding. A bit middle of the road. It’s not horrible but not fantastic. Filler. It beat is hot but the hook isn’t.
16. Radar – It’s sad that this is the absolute BEST song. It has an ity bity remixed quality. But it’s almost impossible to tell what was changed. It is a classic though.
17. Trouble – Decent. In this group of tracks it stands out. The song is nothing amazing but it is good enough to spin once in a while.
18. Quicksand – A boring song. A typical mid tempo piano ballad. Nothing special
19. Rock Boy – A demo. It was never put on the album, but it was from the Circus sessions. I wont the track into account when giving my final grade. It pretty much stinks though.
FINAL SAY: D+ her worst effort of her career. Very few songs worth listening too. It is far to bubblegum. At best it is just good enough to keep you interested until her next project. If it was released 5 years ago I would have loved it, but alas I am no longer 12 years old.