New stats and features?

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 17 2009, 18h34
    the_richman sa:
    i have a few suggestion (if they are already integrated and i'm too stupid too find them, pls tell me^^)

1. add song lengths manually. for example ~10-15% of my plays don't have lenghts so things like total running time aren't correct. imo they sould be editable (maybe just changeable for yourself or as "global" change for all users). of course this could be abused but in fact you will just kid yourself.

2. a list of the artist/tracks being #artist/track of the week/month/year most often. for example:
    artist1: 123 times artist of the week
    artist2: 67 times...etc

and i guess the "artist first played" statistic doesn't work as it should. i always see my top artist the right track and time with the count 1. but if i want to get statts for another artist, i can still se my top artisdt on the top and below a (seemingly) random track of the artist i wanted. but the track/time shown is definately not the first time i played it (sometimes the count is even higher than the track-counter from this artist overall, e.g. i have played feindflug 441 times overall but the counter says 530 and a date that was far later than my first feindflug scrobble).

but anyway, thank you for this great site :)

1. I've been thinking about this too. But as you say there is a risk for it to be abused. a way to handle it would be that I have to be the final judge if the length is valid. So we'll see what happens in the future :)

2. A list of placement in all weeks for artist exists but there's no toplist that shows all artists at once and lists them in the order of most weeks etc.
    http://lastfm.shikaka.net/index.php?stat=topArtistWeeks

The slider can be used to see the placement of the artist in years, months, weeks and days. Also shows a nice graph :)
    http://lastfm.shikaka.net/index.php?stat=slider

So exactly the stat you are looking for does not exist at the moment. I'll add it to the to do list :)

No it works, I've changed the text Count to Milestone. I hope this is more clear. The Count is no playcount, it's the milestone of the artist/track.
    Your top artist are the first artist you played. The artist feindflug is the 530:th artist you played and the track you played with the artist are shown.

• something I would want on website is a "global" artist and song chart where the amount of unique tracks influence also this chart.

I will explain:
    A person that listened to more artists can be more sure about saying what artists they like or not.
    Lets get some britney spears listeners as a example, before lady gaga getting into tv, many britney spears listenres would say britney spears was the best artist in the world, but after looking into more artists (one of those artists is lady gaga), some of those listeners now say that lady gaga is the best artist in the world.
    Sometimes you say that this artist is the best thing when is fact he is THE BEST THING THAT YOU LISTENED UNTIL NOW.

A simple way to do this type of chart is just make the chart and instead getting the number of listeners and adding that info to create the chart, you add 1 listener to each user * (his number of unique tracks).

Editado por exdeathbr em Mai 10 2010, 16h44
    • m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 9 2010, 22h15
    exdeathbr sa:
    something I would want on website is a "global" artist and song chart where the amount of unique tracks influence also this chart.

I will explain:
    A person that listened to more artists can be more sure about saying what artists they like or not.
    Lets get some britney spears listeners as a example, before lady gaga getting into tv, many britney spears listenres would say britney spears was the best artist in the world, but after looking into more artists (one of those artists is lady gaga), some of those listeners now say that lady gaga is the best artist in the world.
    Sometimes you say that this artist is the best thing when is fact he is THE BEST THING THAT YOU LISTENED UNTIL NOW.

A simple way to do this type of chart is just make the chart and instead getting the number of plays each user has on a song or artist, you get the number of plays * the number unique tracks he have.

I'm not sure I'm with you on this.

You want a chart with all users? About one song or one artist? What's on the axis on the chart?

There's something similar already on the site.
    http://lastfm.shikaka.net/?stat=artistrank&user=exdeathbr

~m0nkiii

• m0nkiii said:
    I'm not sure I'm with you on this.

You want a chart with all users? About one song or one artist? What's on the axis on the chart?

There's something similar already on the site.
    http://lastfm.shikaka.net/?stat=artistrank&user=exdeathbr

~m0nkiii

I want a chart like this ( http://www.last.fm/charts/artist ).
    But that take into account the amount of unique tracks that the user listened.

To create the chart last.fm just get the number of users that listened each artist and make the chart.

So, last.fm get the artists I listened and add +1 listener to each artist I listened, then get the artist you listened and add +1 to the artists you listened, then last.fm go to the next user and get his artists, then get the next user and get his data, and so on, until last.fm do this with every user on last.fm. Then last.fm create a chart with that info.

YOUR chart instead of adding +1 listener to each artist you listened, your chart would add +1 * (the number of unique tracks the user have).
    With this the artists listened by guys that have more unique tracks would be more important, then the artists by users that have only 60 unique tracks.

The idea behind this is that guys that listened more unique tracks are more sure about saying that the artists he likes are really the artists he most like.

Lets use a analogy: Lets imagine a clothing store with 300000 clothes.
    Now, imagine that a guy enter there spent 25 minutes there and get the thing he most liked.
    Now, Imagine a another guy, he goes there and spent 5 hours looking clothes and get the thing that he most liked.

Of those two guys, what guy can be more sure about the clothes that he got??
    The second one because he spent more time there and tried more things.

The same thing happens with music, the guys with more unique tracks can be more sure about his tastes, because he spend more time trying things.

So those users should be more important on the chart, because their most liked artists are "truer" most liked artists.

Editado por exdeathbr em Out 29 2010, 13h37
    • m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mai 10 2010, 21h57
    Now I'm with you, I think :)

So instead of adding 1 I'll add the number of unique tracks or the number of unique artists. Two charts one for artists and one for the tracks, right?

But if the user have listened to an artist just once and listened to 10 000 unique artists?

I could add 'unique artists' * 'times played' or 'unique tracks' * 'times played' depending on the chart. It will be a large number in the end though.

• m0nkiii said:

So instead of adding 1 I'll add the number of unique tracks or the number of unique artists. Two charts one for artists and one for the tracks, right?

Yes, you can use the number of unique tracks or the number of unique artists.
    Both have their good points.
    Using the number of unique tracks is good because sometime the guy try more artists but try just one song from those artists. And the good thing about using unique artists, is that sometimes users listen to artists that have many songs, an so having unique tracks doenst mean he try a lot of things.
    Its up to you to choose what method you will use.

m0nkiii said:

But if the user have listened to an artist just once and listened to 10 000 unique artists?

That doenst matter, at least on a top400 like the last.fm.
    The last.fm chart, rank of artists that have more listeners and not of artists that were listened more times.

Lets imagine that almost everyone listened a artist (lets say the artist called X, that exist) just one time.
    That artist would still be on the chart on the first place of the chart, even with that small number of plays.

Remember, the idea behind the top last.fm chart, is just to get the artists that had the most number listeners on the week. Your chart will add in calculation how much sure the user can be about the artists he listen (using unique tracks or unique artists info).

If last.fm made a chart based on number of plays, someone (or a group of people) could just get a underground artist and scroble almost only this artist and use cheat methods to get into the main chart.

m0nkiii said:
    I could add 'unique artists' * 'times played' or 'unique tracks' * 'times played' depending on the chart. It will be a large number in the end though.

If you want that the number of times the user listener listened the artist also influence the chart you could do something like this:

Lets imagine a user has 100 plays in last.fm. A artist with 10 plays would get 0,1 listener, an another artist with 30 plays would get 0,3 listeners.

Editado por exdeathbr em Out 29 2010, 13h57
  • SORRY LOST.FM DID A TRIPLE POST

Editado por exdeathbr em Mai 11 2010, 19h45
  • SORRY LOST.FM DID A TRIPLE POST

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jun 19 2010, 12h01
    I'm sorry I haven't responded to your post. I've worked a bit with this but it's a huge amount of data and that's a big problem for my host to process.

It's something I will work with. I can reduce the amount of tracks I take from each user but then it won't be that accurate. It could be the Top100 tracks/artist, then it might be more workable.

I'll see what I can do. It's an interesting idea to work with.

• monkii, as a said before (and explained the reason in the last post) use only the last 3 months data.
    The last 3 months represent more what the users like than the overall one and would use less data.

If this still is too much data, get only the top 100 artists, I dont think that there is anyone that has more than 100 artists that he REALLY like, well I dont know

• An idea that would improve your artist recommendation system website alot (dont know if its too hard or impossible to do):

I think that your artist recommendation system (well the last.fm one also), should make the artists recommendations based on tracks chart instead of artists charts. I will explain:

To make the recommendation system, your (and last.fm one) system look at the artists that you listen and then get the recommended artists to those artists ( the ones that usually the listeners of this artist listen) and then do the calculation.

A better idea would be something like this:
    Instead of looking at the artists that the user most like, your system would look at the last 3 months song chart.
    Then you would get the song names and look what artists the guys that usually listen to that song listen.
    And would do that with many songs and then would make the recommendation calculation.

But why use that??? What are the good things about using song instead of using the artists he listen to make the calculation??

1- This would fix the problem (at least when talking about artists recommendation) of different artists with the same name.
    You get recommendation based on the songs, so you would not get recommendation based on a more famous artist because people that listen to the more famous artist dont listen to the songs of the less famous one.

2-You dont get recommendations based on songs that you dont like.
    Lets say the user is one of the guys that complain that metallica sold out and he listen only to metallica old stuff, with this system you would get recommendation only based on songs that you like from metallica.

3- You dont get recommendation based on artists that you dont like.
    Lets say that you like a song from a artist alot but dont like the other songs from that artist. If you listen to this song alot you would get this artist at the top chart because of just one (or very few) songs that you listen from him. With artist recommendation based on artists chart, you would get info based on this artist, but you dont like him, you like just one song.

I think that this would be a GREAT thing to your website. A so great thing that should be the official last.fm way of getting artists recommendation.

Editado por exdeathbr em Out 22 2010, 1h11
    • m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Jul 26 2010, 20h55
    I'm already doing recommendations based on tracks.
    The track recommendation works like this:

- I take your top 25 (want to use more but last.fm is slow). This 25 tracks could be between any date interval or from any artist of yours.

- For every of those tracks I get this list: http://www.lastfm.se/music/Millencolin/_/No+Cigar/+similar (http://www.lastfm.se/api/show?service=319)

- Each of the tracks on the similar list has a match score. So I accumulate all scores and gets a high score list.

The artist recommendation works almost the same. For every artist there's a list of similar artists. I accumulate all the scores and gets a high score list.

Now there's an option to filter tracks you've already played.

You want a recommendation where I instead of looking at the similar tracks I look at the top listeners of the track and get their top tracks?

I'm thinking about doing a new kind of recommendation where I give you the option to add songs of your own, at the moment max 25, and then get the recommended tracks based on them. Would that be interesting?

• m0nkiii said:
    You want a recommendation where I instead of looking at the similar tracks I look at the top listeners of the track and get their top tracks?

No. Your artist recommendation system, like the last.fm one, use the artists that the user listen as the data to get the recommendation.
    I want that your system, instead of using that data (artists), he use the songs (yes songs) to make the artist recommendation, and based on the songs get the artists that the listeners of those songs usually listen.

It would be like song recommendation one, but the song recommendation get the songs that the listeners of your songs usually listen (so the similar songs) and the artist recommendation system get the artist that the listeners of those songs usually listen.

The reasons to make this new way of artist recommendation, is that like I explained before, this fix many recommendations problems that last.fm has, even a very big problem like different artists with the same name.
    This idea fix so many problems, that even last.fm should use it as his recommendation system.

PS: Dont know if this is possible to do.

m0nkiii said:
    I'm thinking about doing a new kind of recommendation where I give you the option to add songs of your own, at the moment max 25, and then get the recommended tracks based on them. Would that be interesting?

ALOT.
    One way use to that. A user find some songs that fit on a sub-genre and he dont know more songs that fit on that sub-genre. He listen to the songs, he like and he want more songs that are similar to those songs. With the option to add songs of your own, he would get those songs and get recommendations based on the songs.

Also with that you would be able to make recommendations to friends that dont have last.fm or that are lazy enought use the last.fm recommendation system.

Another idea about how to use that. There is a party and you want to know what music you put there. With this new form of recommendation, you would be able to ask people what they like, get those songs and put on the recommendation system, and then get more songs.

Editado por exdeathbr em Out 22 2010, 1h14
    • m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 1 2010, 16h36
  • Thanks ALOT, M0nkii you added the recommended artists (based on tracks).

Just some bugs:
    On the Get recommended artists (based on tracks), your website says "Take away tracks you've already heard" instead of Take away artists you've already heard.

Also, if you click on it, it goes to the Get recommended artists (not based on tracks) and remove the ones you already listened.

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 1 2010, 20h53
    The first bug is fixed and I don't think the second is a bug. It goes to recommendFilterArtists and it should.

exdeathbr said:
    Thanks ALOT, M0nkii you added the recommended artists (based on tracks).

Just some bugs:
    On the Get recommended artists (based on tracks), your website says "Take away tracks you've already heard" instead of Take away artists you've already heard.

Also, if you click on it, it goes to the Get recommended artists (not based on tracks) and remove the ones you already listened.

• m0nkiii said:
    The first bug is fixed and I don't think the second is a bug. It goes to recommendFilterArtists and it should.
    [...]

About the second bug.
    On the "Get recommended artists (based on tracks)" part of your website, if you click on "Take away artists you've already heard". Instead of removing the artists that you aready listened from the list of recommended artists (based on tracks), your website will remove the artists that you already listened from the list of recommended artists (based on artists).

Try that, "go to Get recommended artists (based on tracks)" and click on "Take away artists you've already heard", then open "Get recommended artists" and click on "Take away artists you've already heard", the two lists will be the same.

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 2 2010, 20h48
    Try that, "go to Get recommended artists (based on tracks)" and click on "Take away artists you've already heard", then open "Get recommended artists" and click on "Take away artists you've already heard", the two lists will be the same.

This should result in completely different lists:
    - "Get recommended artists (based on tracks)"
    - "Take away artists you've already heard" on "Get recommended artists (based on tracks)"
    - "Get recommended artists"
    - "Take away artists you've already heard" for "Get recommended artists"

This results in same lists:
    - "Get recommended artists (based on tracks)"
    - "Get recommended artists"
    - "Take away artists you've already heard" on "Get recommended artists (based on tracks)"
    - "Take away artists you've already heard" for "Get recommended artists"

Because I'm using the session variable to store the artists. So if you use them in that order they will use the same list to filter artists. If you use them in "correct" order it will be fine.

• Xemper disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 18 2010, 17h01
    As I undestand, the 'Non-consecutive Track Plays' stat counts the number of songs between when a certain track is repeated

For example, if songs were played in the order below, the Non-consecutive Track Plays stat will count the songs in red

... A, B, C, D, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, L, M ...

If this is the case, the stat would count tracks that have been repeated as long as there was a different track between them. Example:

... A, B, C, D, D, E, F, E, F, E, F, E, F, F, G, H, I ...

So I was wondering, could there be a 'Unique Track Plays' stat? This would count the number of consecutively played tracks that were all unique, without any of them being being played again. Example:

... A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, G, L, M ....

The same could also work for artists.

Could this be done?

I probably haven't explained it very well, so let me know if you want me to clarify.

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Ago 19 2010, 12h18
  • more ideas to your recommendation system:

M0nkii, you said that you want you wanted to use more than top 25 to make the recommendations but last.fm is very slow. Why not make something like that:

If the user click on Get recommended (something), the page will make the recommendation based on the top 25 like the website do now. But inside the recommendation page the user will be able to choose to make the recommendation calculation again based on top 50 or top 100, and your website would say "last.fm is very slow and this will take alot of time, do you really want to do it?"

Another idea, in your recommendation website there is a button called "Take away tracks you've already heard". Why not make the user able to choose the amount of plays the song/artist need to have to be removed from recommendation.
    So the button would be "Take away tracks with (insert textbox here) or more amount of plays"

• I mentioned this in the group shoutbox, but I'll add it here too.

How about Milestones for artists added to your library? So that I can say, the 500th artist added to my library was ________

• m0nkiii disse...
    • Usuário
    • Dez 3 2010, 17h06
    http://lastfm.shikaka.net/?stat=artistmilestones&user=warrenwheel

Does already exists. I changed the name in the menu to "Milestone" instead of "last played". Don't know why it didn't say "Milestone" in the first place :P

I'm sorry about the bad design. I must do something about the it.
    But there's so much to do... :)

Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.