Fórum » Feedback and Ideas

Your ideas for new subscription features

• mkuzmin disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 23 2010, 22h50
    by the way, many people in Russia still wait for alternate ways except Visa/PayPal to pay for your subscription

• adamzZz disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 24 2010, 13h17
    I think that mobile payments would be just perfect.

• [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 24 2010, 14h06
    adamzZz said:
    I think that mobile payments would be just perfect.

In my experience from previous companies, mobile payments are just not worth it (for the company), especially for small amounts like £$€3.00, companies end up paying more than 50% of the amount in service fees...

It doesn't mean that it will be ruled out by Last.fm, I am just giving my personal opinion.

• Naijca disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 24 2010, 14h28
    I'd like less important and useful but cool features like larger avatar/icon privileges and the ability of being able to upload and use an actual background on our profiles. Maybe make the Recent Visitors feature extended to 20 visitors? These suggested features might seem a bit pointless but to be honest, they are a part of the experience on Last.FM. Having a nice profile is very important to a lot members. Many members spend a lot time on this site every day and it would be nice if we could personalize it a bit more.

Feel free to message me for assistance, reports and misc → [Inbox]
    Last.fmで顧客サポートです。日本語はいいぞ! → [メール]
    For assistance in other languages, please check the list here.
  • Bring back the ability to play, in-line on the site, all tracks listed on an artist's track/album page with a single button click, regardless of what's available for sampling (full track or 30 sec. snippet).

Understand the need to force page navigation to drive advertising. However, sub's don't see advertising, and it's a service differentiator. I go to an artist/album page to sample tracks I've yet to hear... make it easy to do so for subs.

• One more... while I'm thinking about it.

Eliminate artist promotional plays from subscriber pool and, instead, target only non-subs. Understand the need to derive income from promo artist playback. But, it gets a little obvious and a bit annoying.

Keep the program, but target non-subs (pool should be plenty big enough). At minimum, increase repeat latency for subs. Anything leading to better randomization is a subscriber benefit.

• Bloopy disse...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Mar 25 2010, 1h43
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Bring back the ability to play, in-line on the site, all tracks listed on an artist's track/album page with a single button click, regardless of what's available for sampling (full track or 30 sec. snippet).
    Definitely!

JustSomeOldJoe said:
    Eliminate artist promotional plays from subscriber pool and, instead, target only non-subs. Understand the need to derive income from promo artist playback. But, it gets a little obvious and a bit annoying.
    As far as I know, I've never even had a single power play track come up. Maybe it's because I listen to obscure stations, while artists target popular ones. Is it really that bad? I like hearing new stuff.

I think the ideal situation would be if artists could target a certain number of other artists for free. Then, when listeners go to play the radio station of a popular artist, they could somehow choose whether they want to hear the usual popular selection, or increase the variety and discover more obscure stuff. Tags and top listeners could be used to determine how realistic the artist's targeting is, so that you don't get a complete mismatch.

• Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Mar 25 2010, 7h35
    It's weird that this hasn't been mentioned yet (in this thread)...:

The ability to subscribe to an artist's events.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • JustSomeOldJoe said:

That wouldn't work very well at all for artists who want to reach people outside DE/UK/US.

last.fm#DIV(class=messageSig)
  • brtkrbzhnv said:
    JustSomeOldJoe said:

That wouldn't work very well at all for artists who want to reach people outside DE/UK/US.
    Good point!

I could be completely off and it might absolutely unrelated. Just seems like "certain" tracks during "certain" periods of time queue up soon after every session fire up without fail.

I'll amend the request to "check and ensure that's not that case, and, if it is, smooth it out a bit." ;)

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 26 2010, 7h07
    JustSomeOldJoe said:
    One more... while I'm thinking about it.

i don't even know what this is.

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • akrde disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 26 2010, 11h36
    • [Usuário excluído] disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 26 2010, 11h42
    Tecfan said:

?? Every artist page already has an RSS feed?

Or do you mean you want a dashboard area within the website for tracking this?

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 26 2010, 12h50
    akrde said:
    Perhaps this helps:

http://www.last.fm/forum/6666/_/357486
    http://passivepromotion.com/is-a-lastfm-powerplay-campaign-right-for-you
    thks for the links, akrde :)

from here:
    What are Powerplay campaigns?
    1. Powerplay campaigns are promotional services that are paid for on Last.fm - they can help boost plays, or promote a release in addition to the free services that Last.fm offers.

A Powerplay campaign will allow you to target radio users that are fans of specific artists with a song of your choice, and ensure a chosen amount of radio plays. It will target plays both by the artists you select as targets and their associated tags.
    so this is what - partly, at least - drives recommendations, and increases the incidence of certain artists' tracks over others on the radio? or is it more explicitly done, so i'm made aware that these are paid campaigns?

(sorry if i'm veering off, just curious...)

there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Mar 26 2010, 13h29
    StudleyUK said:
    Tecfan said:

?? Every artist page already has an RSS feed?

Or do you mean you want a dashboard area within the website for tracking this?

dashboard :)

• rwitte disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 27 2010, 9h33
    After a year of subscription, the USP of subscription is the extra radio stations it allows you to play: especially personal tag radios, but this not at all apparent until you have subscribed for some time. I think last.fm needs to think long and hard about how to describe the existing subscriber benefits clearly and then how to market them. This will be quite hard, because the most obvious benefit (no ads) isn't worth a lot and the best benefit (more radios) is quite subtle.

I have some sympathy for SomeOldJoe's position, but better data services are at one remove from most users' experience - you already have the problem that the extra benefits of subscription are hard to describe and market. So improvements to the data architecture, while necessary, cannot be subscriber features per se.

I agree that more flexibility about payment methods would help: some people don't like pay pal and pay pal doesn't support all countries.

Ability to play albums and/or more play on demand would be awesome but raises licensing issues. However, you might be able to change your pricing to support it. So the basic subscription would continue to be £3 per month and you would pay an extra £1 for every 100 on demand plays {to be billed in the month following the first on demand play (vary numbers to make the economics to work)}.

Babs is correct to say that your price is low; either increase it or market it as good value for money. I prefer the latter.

Mostly, although there is plenty of room for feature improvement (especially better support for albums and for mobile devices) I think that Last.fm does not market and sell its current features sufficiently well. Unless you improve this aspect of your operation, you won't feel the full benefit of any other improvements you might make.

• Bloopy disse...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Mar 27 2010, 15h16
    fmera said:
    so this is what - partly, at least - drives recommendations, and increases the incidence of certain artists' tracks over others on the radio? or is it more explicitly done, so i'm made aware that these are paid campaigns?
    It doesn't drive recommendations. It simply gives artists a guaranteed number of plays, eg. pay $20 to get 100 plays. The artist selects some artists they want to target, and their chosen song pops into the similar artists radios. The Last.fm player is supposed to show when a paid track is playing.

• Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Mar 27 2010, 18h18
    Subscriber goodness:

Visualized in graphs:
    * Attended venue statistics
    * People you have the most shared events with
    * Friends you share the most artists with
    * Etc.. Graphs are awesome

• Bloopy disse...
    • Forum Moderator
    • Mar 28 2010, 0h27
    Tecfan said:
    Don't think you need a graph for that, just a list. Anyway, add that and all the other ideas about the 'context' page which I had here:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/571778/_/10770008

• fmera disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 28 2010, 6h02
    Bloopy said:
    fmera said:
    It doesn't drive recommendations. It simply gives artists a guaranteed number of plays, eg. pay $20 to get 100 plays. The artist selects some artists they want to target, and their chosen song pops into the similar artists radios. The Last.fm player is supposed to show when a paid track is playing.
    thks, bloopy :)

• Tecfan disse...
    • Event Moderator
    • Mar 28 2010, 11h29
    Bloopy said:
    Tecfan said:
    Don't think you need a graph for that, just a list. Anyway, add that and all the other ideas about the 'context' page which I had here:
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/571778/_/10770008

About this.. I'm not sure if I already mentioned here, but we seriously need a context page for artists!

See how many of your friends and how much they have listened to the artists, how many events you've been to etc. etc. etc.

• kwutchak disse...
    • Usuário
    • Mar 30 2010, 7h46

Improved subscriber features - quality (stream & local)

Hi,

I'm a long time subscriber (coming up on 31k tracks). I've read through the other suggestions, and unless I missed one, no-one quite suggested the following:

1. I'd pay extra if the stream quality was higher. I'm not saying that the quality now is bad, but it could be better...

2. Assuming you don't go to lossless as a result of #1 ( ;), I'd appreciate if the player could pick up my higher quality local CD rip when I have one and play that instead of the streamed mp3. I appreciate the wonderful random ordering that last.fm provides - but if I I'd like to hear the tracks in the best quality possible. I would pay extra for this - but not as much as #1.

Thanks for a fantastic service!

• It would be great to incorporate option for "one click - one album". There are albums with all tracks streamable (Ensemble Intercontemporain) and it will be great if all tracks could be listened in that order. Because, if I start radio for that artist, I will never hear only those tracks (in that order).

Option of playing one full album would be refreshing.

• Re: Improved subscriber features - quality (stream & local)

kwutchak said:
    1. I'd pay extra if the stream quality was higher. I'm not saying that the quality now is bad, but it could be better...
    Probably not gonna happen given past staff comments, but would be cool! On the flip side, the existing streams could be gussied up a bit by incorporating an EQ into the clients and implementing tag driven EQ assignment/adjustment.

Assign stock EQ settings for well known tags (at minimum), allow association of custom EQ settings to tags at the client with override/disable and pref settings, and you'd improve playback quality without touching existing bit rates.

• My suggestions:

Recent visitors list extended (and perhaps how many times they've looked at your profile)
    Ability to see mutual last.fm friends from other users.
    Ability to play all of one artist's tracks (seems a lot of people agree on this)
    Subscribe to artist/venue events (very cool idea mentioned above!)

LAVOIE.
Usuários anônimos não podem postar mensagens. É preciso fazer login ou criar uma conta para postar nos fóruns.