1) Winter the Long Island, New York metal band (1988-91) that influenced doom metal.
Winter was a New York/Long Island, USA based metal outfit formed in 1988 that only existed until 1991. Line up was: Stephen Flam - guitars, John Alman - vocals/bass and Joe Goncalves on drums.Together with other legends like Thergothon and Disembowelment they formed a groundbreaking foundation for death-doom metal and for its more extreme form called funeral doom.This mighty US trio has been an inspiration for hundreds of extreme metal bands bands and the most notable of them are Darkthrone,Sunn O))), Evoken, Hooded Menace,Rigor Sardonicous and Moss.
Winter played monumentally massive, suffocatingly slow yet somewhat melodic death metal riffs accompanied by deep agressive growls, slow yet vigourous drumming and sparse keyboards that created a very cold, dark and frustrating atmosphere .
The band released only a demo tape in 1989 and recorded an album entitled “Into Darkness” in 1990 that was released on tape and CD by a very small label Future Shock Recordings (FSC8000 / FSCD8000). Unfortunately that label went bankrupt. Shortly after that stroke of fate the band disbanded.
Two years later the German label Nuclear Blast re-released “Into Darkness” (1992; CD/LP/MC NB064) and the demo tape “Eternal Frost” (1994; MCD056).
In 1999 and 2008 both albums were re-released once more as “Into Darkness/Eternal Frost”.
Winter had an aspiration to be the slowest band in the world.
Winter’s “Servants of the Warsmen” video taken from the video compilation “Death is just the Beginning vol.1” (Nuclear blast Records)
2) Winter, the Star-projecting sunflower dream pop! band of (Samira Winter) from Curitiba, Brazil/Boston, MA and connected to Practice Room Records collective.
3) Winter are a Christchurch, New Zealand Band that play emotive music that could be described as Screamo, Skramz or Post Hardcore (not in a whiny way). The group involve elements of ambient, street hardcore and post hardcore music into their work.
4) Winter were a neo-prog act from Belfast who had an EP released on CD by SI Music, as well as some self-released tapes etc. They called it a day in 1997 but there are plans to reissue a remastered version of the EP. More details at http://www.winteronline.co.uk
Edited by LuminousSkyWave on 22 Feb 2015, 19:57
Sources (view history)
Registered users can edit this page. Sign up now, it’s free and you will discover so much great music :)
Generated from facts marked up in the wiki.
- Formed in
- Split in
- Founded in
- New York/Long Island, USA
- Band Members
- Stephen Flam
- John Alman
- Joe Goncalves
You can also view a list of all recent wiki changes.
From other sources.