Triple J Unearthed - listen/download
Fly their freak flag.
They are the sound of spiralling petrol prices, political scandal, a ready supply of the drug of your choice, roaming bikie gangs, botched invasion attempts, one raised finger to the man, a surfboard hitting that wave and fucking it all. They fly that freak flag up on high and into the sky. Swaying like the breeze, mind whistling like leaves, it’s in the way Bailey on vocals (with his Amish beard and anti-establishment grooves) make THIS band the very Zeitgeist of it all!
If ever there was anything lacking from our apocalypse as envisioned in childhood, it’s in the sights THEY bring to our feverish minds – it’s in the second coming of the mad 70’s blunt groove, Rogerthat style. Bikini girls on Harley’s, swallowing swords and spitting out fire.
The breath of fresh air we needed, smoking out the room to an intangible haze. Walking the water and swimming the land.
If ever there was a diagonal slide into sweet oblivion that needed magnifying with guitar, bass, drum and electrified amp, Rogerthat are the one to deliver it.
Since their return from Europe in June 08 Rogerthat have spent the best part of the year buried away in their shipping container cum studio working maniacally on their debut album like the hairy, multi headed mad professor that they collectively make.
08 turned to 09 and the band were still working and stirred only briefly, emerging to tour, charging up and down the east coast and then blessing the Festival of the Sun, the Espy and Pyramid with their presence.
The first single from the bands debut album sessions is a re-worked version of the band’s garage pop diamond, Green Room, out early 09.
recent festivals for the band include :: the Big Day Out, the Beach Party and Pyramid.
They headlined the Gold Coast’s Wonderland festival (twice, in Nov 06 and Nov 007) and played the QuiksilverPro show to a crowd of 2,500 and featured at Newcastle’s High Voltage festival in 007 and do it again in 09.
Chasing The Sun was released late in ‘06 (now deleted but initially through green media) and picked up play on triple j and community stations (FBI in Sydney and RRR and pbs in Melbourne), around the country.
The Vanilla Gorillas was recorded up and down the East coast of Australia – from Mackay on the far North coast to the Gold coast - as the band literally chased the sun trying to get a recording that would, get across their live sound.
tracks (from the cd have been featured on)::
1) Three tracks went out on the Tracks “Young Guns III” cover mount
2) The band have had many tracks used on Fuel TV – both in Australia and the U.S.
3) Chasing … was included on the Californian compilation SOUTHCALI VOL 1.
4) included on an AIR play compilation for Australian independent artists
5) included (Into The Unknown), on the Tracks does bells – surf film
6) won the singles competition in Byron Bay pocket rocket competition
7) Have provided songs for the A.S.P. online coverage of Mexico Ripcurl Pro, Billabong Pro, and Pipe Masters
recent gigs/festivals/highlights of ‘007 :
1) Did a short tour with Alabama 3 (UK of the sopranos fame)
2) Toured twice with the beautiful girls august 07 and again to tour in Dec 07
3) And spiderbait “06
4) toured twice with the Custom Kings and again in Jan 008
5) Headlined the Wonderland festival in Nov ‘06 and were asked back to do it again in Nov 007
6) the quikky pro show festival (gold coast) March 07
7) high voltage festival (newcastle) May 07
8) the release of the Vanilla Gorillas in October 007
9) the bands “Loco Van”, tour in early 07 saw them (in just over a month and a half), drive the length of the east coast and the then the breadth of the country – gigging. … using the ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ theory. they did it driving, crossing the nullabour desert twice
10) the band have signed a deal for vanilla gorillas to be released in Europe in mid march 08
Edited by sureshaker on 22 Jan 2009, 06:55
Sources (view history)
Registered users can edit this page. Sign up now, it’s free and you will discover so much great music :)
Generated from facts marked up in the wiki.
No facts about this artist
You can also view a list of all recent wiki changes.
From other sources.