1. Pixies - Here Comes Your Man (live) – a souvenir of easily the best concert of the year. Thanks to Mike for driving all the way to London.
2. Northern Portrait - In an Empty Hotel – one of several discoveries at the Indietracks festival, this band does a lovely Smiths impersonation, complete with Moz-esque yodelling.
3. Theoretical Girl - I Should Have Loved You More – really enjoyed seeing her live, at one of Clark’s gigs – I particularly like her line of this sort of chamber pop.
4. The Wave Pictures - If You Leave It Alone – my obsession with the band continued this year (see my last.fm charts below), with seeing them four times. They’re easily the best band on the planet, and the new album’s good too (from which this song comes, an examination of the singer’s fridge among other things).
5. Stanley Brinks - Stanley Brinks – I was never that bothered by his former incarnation Herman Dune…