23 Jan 2013, 22:19 by AlanRanta
20 Jan 2013, 07:03 by everyonesaskinghttp://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/174s/81830759.jpg
10. Grizzly Bear - Shields
I hope I don't get sick of this one
9. Title Fight - Floral Green
Decent followup to last year's debut
8. Pinback - Information Retrieved
Surprising how varied this album is, for such a specific sound
7. Nada Surf - The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
20 years as a band and still making great music
6. The Smith Street Band - Sunshine And Technology
Another solid followup
5. Torche - Harmonicraft
4. Liars - WIXIW
Interesting from start to finish
3. Summer Vacation - Condition
Straight up punk done well
20 Jan 2013, 02:01 by kirkvanhendrixI guess I can't do these 'Greatest albums of this year!' lists anymore, maybe I'm too old or slightly out of touch now, so I'll try something easier for a change - the best gigs I've seen in last two years! I saw plenty, but missed even more. I'm doing this journal mainly for myself, so please, don't be offended by the lack of real informative value.
1) Coal Train at 007 - 19/4/2011
2) Forgetters at 007 - 11/5/2011
3) Polvo at OFF Festival 2011 - 6/8/2011
4) Oneida at OFF Festival 2011 - 5/8/2011
5) Thou & Moloch at 007 - 19/6/2011
6) Unsane at 007 - 2/7/2011
7) Edie Sedgwick at 007 - 17/10/2011
8) Melvins at Lucerna Music Bar - 13/10/2011
9) Travels at 007 - 3/1/2011
10) Fu Manchu at Lucerna Music Bar - 20/3/2011
Complete 2011 list - alphabetized for your viewing pleasure, yay!
All in the Golden Afternoon
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Arms and Sleepers
7 Jan 2013, 01:27 by endonendIt was an incredible year of music. The rankings in this list are borderline arbitrary and I loved all of these albums. This was the year Spotify and a full-time job transformed my ability to discover new music. As always, I would love your suggestions and I'm always looking for new music.
Really, really awesome debut EPs you should check out:
Supermelodic Pulp - Astronauts, etc.
Don't Worry, You'll Be Here Forever - No
My favorite 31 albums of the year:
1. Lonerism - Tame Impala
This is what I imagine the Beatles would sound like in 2012.
2. An Awesome Wave - alt-J
Most unique and mesmerizing album I listened to this year.
3. Bloom - Beach House
Another flawless album in the vein of Teen Dream. Excellent live show if you get the chance.
4. Gone - VACATIONER
Saw them at their first ever headlined show. Such a happy, catchy album. Nicest dudes ever too, looking forward to seeing their audience grow.
5. Mondo - Electric Guest
1 Jan 2013, 21:01 by jurlacherhttp://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/540933_10200131718672552_2060656341_n.jpg
2012 was a pretty good year for music, which featured a great many releases from bands and artists I'm quite fond of. Upon looking at my list, I can't say I was floored by any albums from brand new artists, but I definitely discovered a lot of new things.
I'd give my overall top honours this year to Evening Hymns for Spectral Dusk, which is a deeply personal exploration of loss and family. Although I very much enjoyed his/their previous effort, Spirit Guides, Spectral Dusk is an improvement on basically every level. The music is fleshed out, the arrangements are more interesting, and the personal slant makes the album quite unique. Aidan Knight's Small Reveal is right up there on my list too, for similar reasons, though it's not quite so intensely personal. With that said, tracks like "Margaret Downe" maintain an emotional impact even if they aren't written from the artist's point of view.
31 Dec 2012, 23:11 by beefigurskWell, since one of the only two things I give a serious shit about is music, I feel it my duty to write up a blog on my scrobbles for the entire spectrum of no one to read and let my thoughts float out in the netherspaces of the interwebs.
I can't say it's been any sort of "epic" year for me musically, because I would say that every year like a broken record. It was a year and much was discovered and loved and cherished. I am zehr thankful for the catalogue of artists I have discovered this year through radio, Pandora at work and sexy scrobble friends. This list includes Passion Pit, Starfucker, Pinback, Gotye, Of Monsters and Men, We Are Scientists, The Temper Trap, Japandroids, The Dandy Warhols, Strange Talk, Cut Copy, The Silent Comedy, Spoon, M83, The Gaslight Anthem, and the single most important one to me, Modest Mouse.
Good lord of fuck, I was a complete moron. Pretty sure everyone knows who Modest Mouse is, no thanks to Float On all those years ago, and if not the name of the band or track, you knew the tune. …
29 Dec 2012, 03:35 by aerytwoHere are my favorite 100 songs of 2012. (This list excludes Hip-Hop, for which I've made a separate list: http://www.last.fm/user/aerytwo/journal/2012/12/29/5phqfs_top_40_hip-hop_songs_of_2012). My favorite albums analysis is coming soon!
1. Andrew Bird - Fatal Shore
2. Michael Kiwanuka - Rest
3. The Lumineers - Flowers in Your Hair
4. John Mayer - Queen of California
5. The Shins - It's Only Life
6. Regina Spektor - Don't Leave Me (Ne me quitte pas)
7. The Lumineers - Ho Hey
8. Fiona Apple - Anything We Want
9. Andrew Bird - Orpheo
10. Jack White - Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy
11. Tennis - Vegas
12. Dirty Projectors - Impregnable Question
13. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Ghost in My Head
14. Benjamin Gibbard - Lily
15. The Lumineers - Dead Sea
16. Hospitality - Argonauts
17. Tennis - Origins
18. Fiona Apple - Hot Knife
19. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Dear Believer
20. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
26 Dec 2012, 10:00 by mannaz831. Francesco Guccini - "L'ultima volta"
2. Californiaman - "Give Love Back"
3. Hinder - "Anyone But You"
4. The Whigs - "Waiting"
5. Andrea Nardinocchi - "Un posto per me"
6. Malika Ayane - "Tre cose"
7. Adele - "Skyfall"
8. CHVRCHES - "The Mother We Share"
9. Lifehouse - "Between the Raindrops (feat. Natasha Bedingfield)"
10. Dinosaur Jr. - "Watch the Corners"
11. Alas, the Ocean - "Learned to Love"
12. Mansions on the Moon - "Radio"
13. Divine Fits - "Shivers"
14. Modena City Ramblers - "Quarant'Anni"
15. The Griswolds - "Mississippi"
16. Pinback - "Proceed to Memory"
17. Dylan Mondegreen - "The Heart Is A Muscle"
18. Francesco Guccini - "Canzoni di notte n.4"
19. Tre allegri ragazzi morti - "Di che cosa parla veramente una canzone?"
20. Willy Mason - "I Got Gold"
17 Dec 2012, 18:44 by duuenfiA.C. Newman - I'm Not Talking
Advance Base - Summer Music
Dry the River - Shaker Hymns
Freedom Fry - Summer In The City
Gypsy & The Cat - Bloom
JBM - Winter Ghosts
Laser Background - Pinwheels
Lord Huron - Ends Of The Earth
Marissa Nadler - Apostle
Moonface - Teary Eyes And Bloody Lips
Polly Hi - All My Energy
Seapony - Be Alone
Stars - A Song Is a Weapon
The Fresh & Onlys - Presence Of Mind
The Raveonettes - Observations
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial - What We Loved Was Not Enough
Violens - Every Melting Degree
Young Unknowns - Target Practice
Air - Seven Stars (Feat. Victoria Legrand)
Baffin Island - We Were Meant To Meet
Cate le Bon - Fold The Cloth
Earlimart - 97 Heart Attack
Gold - Losing Your Hair
Hello Handsome - Big Deal: The Single
Jason Collett - Song of the Silver Haired Hippy
King Creosote - Ankle Shackles
Letting Up Despite Great Faults - Visions
Masha Qrella - Fishing Buddies
Moostache - EOS
Poor Moon - Waiting For
21 Aug 2012, 17:58 by The405MusicReviews
Adam Gnade - Review Link
Holy Other - Review Link
Swans - Review Link
Archive - Review Link
Pinback - Article Link
Holy Other - Article Link
Frank Ocean - Article Link
The Avalanches - Article Link
Plus many more here!
Riff Raff - Video Link
Yeasayer - Video Link
Dave Hill - Video Link
Tall Ships - Video Link
Plus many more here!
All our news can be found here!