Mikael Åkerfeldt (last name pronounced Oh-ker-feldt) (born April 17, 1974, in Stockholm, Sweden) is currently lead vocalist and guitarist of Opeth. Mikael was the vocalist for Eruption, a death metal band which he formed in 1988. After Eruption came to an end in 1990, Mikael joined Opeth, ostensibly as a bassist. When vocalist David Isberg insisted Åkerfeldt join the band, all other members left. David assumed guitar duties, and when David left Opeth two years later, Mikael replaced him as a vocalist.
Among metal fans, Mikael is noted for his exceptionally strong, progressive-rock-influenced songwriting style, and his ability to sing very proficiently in both a melodic tone and a harsh growl.
Åkerfeldt is a collector of obscure 1970s rock and heavy metal albums. He also tends to show his influence from these obscure bands, in songs like Blackwater Park and Master's Apprentices.
On August 15, 2003, Mikael Åkerfeldt married his longtime girlfriend Anna. On September 13, 2004, Anna gave birth to a daughter whom they aptly named Melinda after one of his tracks.The couple had their second daughter, who they named Mirjam Ebba Maria Åkerfeldt, on October 28, 2007.
Åkerfeldt is known to be good friends with Steven Wilson, the frontman of one of his favourite bands, Porcupine Tree.
In this listing, Mikael is featured on Road Runner All-Star Sessions disc playing the song "Roads".
* Ayreon: Mikael sings the parts of Fear in The Human Equation, the 2004 release.
* Bloodbath: Mikael was the vocalist for Bloodbath from 2000 to 2004, and can be heard on their Breeding Death and Resurrection Through Carnage releases. He also performed live with them at Wacken Open Air in 2005. In 2008, he again recorded with them in the album The Fathomless Mastery.
* Edge of Sanity: Mikael provided vocals and guitar for some parts of Edge of Sanity's album Crimson (1996).
* Katatonia: Sings on the 1996 album Brave Murder Day, and the 3 song EP Sounds of Decay, released 1997.Also does backing vocals on the album Tonight's Decision.
* Porcupine Tree: Also sings and plays on the 2005 album Deadwing.
* Soilwork: Mikael sings cleanly on the title track of the album A Predator's Portrait.
* Sörskogen: Mikael sings in Swedish and plays guitars on the lone track "Mordet i Grottan".
* Steel: A small power metal sideproject by Dan Swanö and Opeth's members, featuring Mikael on guitars.
* Roads: Mikael performs vocals on the song "Roads" alongside Type O Negative keyboardist Josh Silver on the Roadrunner Records 25th Anniversary album Roadrunner United.
* Ihsahn: Mikael sings the track "Unhealer" on the 2008 album angL by Ihsahn, which is the progressive solo project of ex-Emperor vocalist Vegard Sverre Tveitan.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.