Profile on M.I(pronounced em eye)
M.I was born to Pastor and Mrs Abaga, both active members of the local Church choir in Jos, Plateau, Nigeria . His mother taught the basic music notations and later bought him 7-key mini piano ,which launched him early into the world of music.
M.I’s encounter with Hip-Hop started with sampling the works of DMX and Lauryn Hill in 1998 . He later delved into writing poetry. In 1999, MI left for Calvin College, Michigan, USA to pursue a degree in business and economics. There he interacted with the budding Michigan hip-hop community. He performed at all the major hip-hop and R&B shows and concerts in school and later came third in the Calvin College “Hip hopera” 2003.
M.I returned to Plateau, Nigeria in 2005 to find the local music industry on the verge of a revolution and was set to take African Hip-Hop to new heights. A proficient producer, lyricist, songwriter and instrumentalist, M.I has been described by DIV as the future of African Hip-Hop.
He has produced and featured on the works of artists like Jeremiah Gyang, Djinee, Shifi (Style Plus), Jesse Jags, Ice Prince,Ruby, Lindsy , Leone e.t.c.
Crowd Mentality – the first single off his album “Pyeri Boy” has topped every major chart in and around Nigeria and is currently number one on the Creative economy website www.creativeconomy.org.uk Soundtrack, besting music from Nine other countries around the world! The video is enjoying tremendous airplay and was No3 @ Sound City Video charts in July 2007.
His much anticipated album “ Talk About it” is due for release in Early 2008 after his world tour.
Performances, Tours & Appearances
· ‘Bring the Noise 2007’ of Africa and the UK, performed on tour in Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya and the UK.
· Future Awards 2008 – Headline Performance
· Big Brother Eviction Party Abuja (the Dome)2006
· Rhythm Unplugged, Lagos , Rhythm Unplugged, Abuja 2006
· Opening for Grammy winners Black Ladysmith Mambazo, and Keb Mo in Michigan , USA 2004
· Host WAPI(words and pictures)- British Council Lagos (2007)
· Mode Men Black Party – June 2007 by Mode Men Magazine
· Host Chocolate City “The Jam Sessions”2007
· Interviewed on Live BBC Hip Hop Forum with two other artists from Senegal and Cameroon.
· Interviewed live on African Essence in London.
· Interviewed live for BBC African Youth Program from Abuja.
· Single Crowd Mentality # 1 Cool Fm Abuja, # 1 Rhythm Top 7 at 7, and Numerous other stations round the country.
· Crowd Mentality selected # 1 for British Council International Young Music Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
· Crowd Mentality # 1 Hip Hop Charts in Uganda, Tanzania and Malaysia.
· “Crowd Mentality” is currently representing Nigeria at the www.creativeconomy.org.uk website music competition .
· Featured on two underground College CD compilations released in US
· Featured in “Baby Girl” Smash single( On Jimmy Jatt’s The Definition Album 2007)
· Video Crowd Mentality # 1 Buzz Fm TV show, # 1 NTA Lagos, Abuja, Selected # 1 Sound City Star Host.
· ‘Top Ten Best Videos Of The Year’ Buzz FM TV show.
MI was recently selected to participate in the “Bring the Noise” Project organized by the British Council International. He will be representing Nigeria on a two-week tour of the UK, East Africa and West Africa, which commences from October 2007 and will culminate in a world tour in 2008. His nomination is as a result of his high level of artistry and proficiency in revolutionizing Hip hop in Africa. Other countries participating in the prestigious project include Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Sudan, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda and the UK.
He is currently signed on the International award winning Chocolate City label.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.