Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment (1998)
Liquid Tension Experiment was released in 1998 by Liquid Tension Experiment through Magna Carta. The group is formed by John Petrucci (guitars), Mike Portnoy (drums), Tony Levin (bass, Chapman stick), and Jordan Rudess (keyboard). The album was written and recorded within one week of studio sessions.
1. - "Paradigm Shift" (8:55)
2. - "Osmosis" (3:26)
3. - "Kindred Spirits" (6:30)
4. - "The Stretch" (2:01)
5. - "Freedom of Speech" ( 9:19)
6. - "Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure" (2:22)
7. - "State of Grace" (5:02)
8. - "Universal Mind" (7:53)
9. - "Three Minute Warning" (8:20)
10. - "Three Minute Warning" (4:03)
11. - "Three Minute Warning" (5:19)
12. - "Three Minute Warning" (4:21)
13. - "Three Minute Warning" (6:31)
* "State of Grace" also appears on An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess
* "Paradigm Shift" and "Universal Mind" are both included in the "Instrumedley" from the Dream Theater CD Live at Budokan.
* "Three Minute Warning" is a reference to the recording sessions where Levin wanted to improvise as opposed to Petrucci and Portnoy wanting to carefully write songs. Levin eventually told the others that if they didn't start to jam in three minutes, he'd just go home. The song "Three Minute Warning" is a recording of what followed. The recording was so unexpectedly fluent that the recording tape ran out after about 27 minutes into the jam, but luckily Portnoy's DAT recorder archived the ending as well. The back cover of the CD says: "CAUTION: "Three Minute Warning" is not for the musically faint-hearted, impatient, or critics of extreme self-indulgence. If you fall into any of the above categories, please hit the stop button on your CD player after track # 8."
* Part of "Universal Mind" appears in the Jordan Rudess keyboard solo on the Dream Theater album Live Scenes from New York.
* The piano at the ending of "Universal Mind" contains a variation on the common Heart and soul-song, as well as an excerpt from the military march Entrance of the Gladiators.
* "Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure" is not a reference to two previous members of Dream Theater, Chris Collins and Kevin Moore. Rather, it was named because of a promo photographer who, during a photo session, kept calling Mike Portnoy and Tony Levin "Chris" and "Kevin", even after being corrected several times. The duo decided to adapt the names for their two-and-a-half minute jam track.
It is also a reference to the 1991 film, "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".
Rich Alvy - Mixing Assistant
Paul Laraia - Photography
Tony Levin - Bass, Chant, Electric Upright Bass, Upright Bass, Beu
Liquid Tension Experiment - Producer
Kosaku Nakamura - Assistant Engineer
Paul Orofino - Engineer
John Petrucci - Guitar
Mike Portnoy - Drums, Liner Notes
Jordan Rudess - Keyboards
Kevin Shirley - Mixing
Leon Zervos - Mastering
Album descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.