I recently replaced a saddle and nut on an inexpensive guitar.
I want to start by saying, being left handed, southpaws do not have much to choose from in guitars unless you are willing to spend a 10%-50% upcharge. I am all for getting "more bang for your buck" even if I have to put some work into it.
I bought a Rogue RG-624 Acoustic . The reviews were good, the wood seemed nice, so I thought why not?
It sounded good right out of the box, but after paying under $85 I figured I would upgrade it a bit.
I purchased a bone nut blank and saddle blank and will upgrade the bridge pins later.
When I finished my project I thought I should have made a video tutorial, instead I will post some info on how I got the job done.
I did the saddle first, thinking it would give me some practice for the bigger sanding and filing job - the nut.
instead of files I used 100 grit sand paper clamped to a scrap peice of pine which was clamped to my "workbench"
I started the nut slots with a needle file then used the tip cleaners to finish the slots. The tip cleaners make a nice rounded polished groove that the string sits in perfectly
I held the original nut up against the sanded nut blank to mark the string spacing, cut a groove with the needle files for each slot then finished them with the tip cleaners.
The stock plastic pieces
New bone nut
New bone saddle
This guitar wasn't too bad out of the box but the new bone pieces brought out some depth, singing highs and good clean low end. The intonation is perfect. Not a bad guitar for the price and what little cost I put into it. I'm happy