There are at least three artists with this name:
1) an American singer-songwriter and guitarist who was a major part of a wave of singer-songwriters in the 1970s
2) a British acid jazz musician
3) the lead singer for Kool and the Gang from 1978 to 1988
1. James Taylor (born 12th March 1948) is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist, born in Boston, Massachusetts. He grew up in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where his father Isaac Taylor was the dean of the University of North Carolina Medical School. His family summered on Martha's Vineyard.
Taylor's career began in the mid-1960s, but he found his audience in the early 1970s, singing sensitive and gentle acoustic songs. He was part of a wave of soft singer-songwriters of the time that also included Carole King, Joni Mitchell, John Denver, Jackson Browne, and Carly Simon (whom he later married).
In March 2010 he commenced the Troubadour Reunion Tour with Carole King and members of his original band, including Russ Kunkel, Leland Sklar, and Danny Kortchmar. They played shows in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and North America, including the final event at Pittsburgh's Mellon Arena. The tour was a major commercial success, and in some locations found Taylor playing arenas instead of his usual theatres or amphitheatres. With an average capacity of 95% for the shows, the tour raised millions for various charities of Taylor and King's choice.
2. James Taylor is a British acid jazz musician who has recorded several albums of minimalist acid jazz music as half of Swayzak. The albums have varied from from the subtle high-quality house of Snowboarding In Argentina (1998) and Himawari (2000) to the more pop sound of Dirty Dancing (2002) and Loops From The Bergerie (2004). Taylor is also the leader of the James Taylor Quartet (JTQ), a 4 piece funky jazz band. JTQ have a strong reputation as a great live band. JTQ have also recorded several albums under the name "The New Jersey Kings". Before founding JTQ in 1986, Taylor played the keyboards and the Hammond with the Prisoners.
3. James "J.T." Taylor was the lead singer for Kool and the Gang from 1978 to 1988.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.