Hernani ALMEIDA was born on April 7th 1978 in São Vicente Island, Cape Verde Islands. He starts his musical activity at the age of 7 with a little keyboard that he replaces at the age of 14 by a guitar, instrument that remains his favourite till nowadays. In 1994, he formed his first rock band « WHAT », immediately catching the attention of the main capeverdean artists. After an invitation of Gerard MENDES (Boy G.), he starts playing traditional music, in a European tour. Since, he started playing with the big names of the capeverdean music, BAU, SARA TAVARES, TCHEKA, MAYRA ANDRADE
In 1997 he joins the BAU formation (CESARIA EVORA’s guitarist) to record two albums, and sign a few compositions. Between 2000 and 2004, he learns classical music and jazz in the Conservatory of Music of Porto, in Portugal. In 2004, he works again with TCHEKA in the album NU MONDA, where he was the musical director. This album is REWARDED with the prize “DÉCOUVERTES RFI (International France Radio) musique du monde”.
In 2005 he’s named “best guitarist” and, in 2006, “best artist” of the national prize NÔS MÚSICA, awards given annually to recognize the best capeverdean artists. Finally, at the age of 28, he decides to record his first solo album, called AFRONAMIM. Meanwhile he pursued with his career, namely being producer and .
For his first solo cd, called AfronamiM, Hernani encircled itself with a private trio, constituted by the musicians who habitually play with Cesaria EVORA, to record ten instrumental songs, influenced by diferent musical currents, afro and jazz, nourished by a certain creole soul and by traditional rhythms as Morna, Coladeira and Funaná. A spellbinding album which proves us, the already big adulthood of this artist.
Hernani Almeida, talented guitarist, instills a breath of fresh air in the capeverdean music. Dominique ROBELIN « (…) Hernani, is in my point of view the hope of the cape verdean music, because of his natural inspiration and his desire to raise the music by a certain discipline ». Paulino VIEIRA ARTIST
BIOGRAPHY AS Musical Director, Studios, Concerts & Tours,
• 1997 - Dany Mariano, Boy G. Mendes, Bau, Voginha e Herminia
• 1999 * 2000 - Bau ( Blimundo, Harmonia);
• 2001- MAYRA ANDRADE, SARA TAVARES;
• 2002- Dulce Matias (Mel d’cana, Atlantic Production); BAU (Silencio, Harmonia) Dudu Araujo (Pidrinha, RB records); Tcheka (Argui, Lusafrica, Harmonia);
• 2003 - Homero Fonseca;
• 2004 - TCHEKA (Nu Monda, Lusafrica, Harmonia Mundi) Prémio Descobertas RFI;
• 2005 - Swagato with Olinôs (Global Music); Gabriela Mendes (Tradição, Casa da Morna);
• 2006 - Dudu Araujo (Nôs Cantador, RB Records); Tour with Tcheka (Europe e África);
• 2007 - Tour with Tcheka (United States and Europe); Toon Switch; Banda sonora do DVD de WANDERLEY Silva (Boxe Pride); PRINCEZITO (Direcção musical); TCHEKA e LENINE, recording in Brazil for the album LONGI; VADU (Dixi Rubera) Musical director;
• 2008 - ISA PEREIRA (Musical director); HABIB KOITÉ Concert (Alliance Française from Mindelo); recording with FRÉDÉRIC GALLIANO
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.