it's the END OF THE YEAR, which means that it's time for self-indulgent lists! of best things and etc. no order, little ranking. for those that asked. here you go.
none of this is inclusive, and i'm sure i forgot stuff. i'll get the detritus out of the way first.
things that weren't anywhere near as good as i hoped they would be:
* Castanets - City of Refuge
: what the fuck, ray raposa. really?
* the continued existence of post-Let Go era Nada Surf
* My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges: hard to follow up Z, i know.
* Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins: these songs were stand-ins
good fun/whatev, at least for a while:
* Ratatat - LP3
* Crystal Stilts
- Alight of Night - reverb soaked fun; packed with almost too many good ideas for its own good. almost. super nice guys, too, did sound for them a couple months ago, they had the crowd dancin.
* No Kids - Come Into My House
- Happymatic: a hefty dose of under two-minute 'wheeeeeee!'