1 Jan 2009, 23:23 by phthoggos
25 Nov 2008, 03:04 by phthoggosWe might not have a Kraftwerk Thänksgiving ("the theme of a good Kraftwerk Thänksgiving is that it is a regular supper with turkey and carrots and stuff but the mood is very severe and everyone acts like Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk Thänksgivings always end with someone admitting that though they have eaten, they remain unsatisfied"), but I am thinking about holding a NEU! Year's Eve party.
The idea is to celebrate the electro-futurists of the late 70s, who made electronic music before electro went mainstream. Who used synthesizers before synthesizers sounded good. Alienating and Germanic, rather than sappy. LED neckties encouraged. Wir sind die Roboter. Я твой слуга, я твой работник.
Beginnings of a playlist:
Cabaret Voltaire (pre-83)
David Bowie in Berlin
early Front 242 ?
Wendy Carlos ?
BIPPP - French Synth Wave 1979-85
early Human League (pre-Dare)
21 Jan 2008, 02:36 by ofLogicDisco Not Disco (Post Punk, Electro & Leftfield Disco Classics) 2008
1. Vivien Goldman - Launderette (3:47)
2. Delta 5 - Mind Your Own Business (3:13)
3. Shriekback - My Spine Is The Bassline (12" edit) (4:01)
4. Konk - Your Life (party mix) (7:25)
5. Isotope - Crunch Cake (3:55)
6. James White & The Blacks - Contort Yourself (august darnell rmx) (6:15)
7. Quango Quango - Love Tempo (remix) (7:55)
8. Gina X Performance - Kaddish (4:47)
9. Material - Don't Lose Control (dance version) (4:19)
10. Kazino - binary (3:56)
11. Liasons Dangereuses - Los Ninos del Parque (12" mix) (5:03)
12. A Number Of Names - Sharevari (inst) (6:17)
13. Six Sed Red - Shake It Right (bang 'em right) (6:24)
14. Maximum Joy - Silent Street/Silent Dub (7:54)
Is it disco? Is it something else? Disco Not Disco, the forthcoming Strut collection, ought to come with a disclaimer. Oh, wait, here we are: Post Punk, Electro & Leftfield Disco Classics 1974-1986. So it is disco, then?
8 Nov 2007, 23:58 by thesvelteoneIf you fancy some listening, I've posted my first ever radio show, broadcast last night on http://www.purple-radio.co.uk.
To get the mix, download from here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bav8fa
1. Hauschka - La Seine (The Prepared Piano - Karaoke Kalk)
2. Lawrence - Ode to mouldy Cottage Cheese - (Pingipung Plays Piano - Pingipung)
3. Origamibiro - Cracked Mirrors And Stopped Clocks (Cracked Mirrors And Stopped Clocks - Expanding Records)
4. Benge - Iso-griffo (Sampler One - Expanding Records)
5. Cartridge - Laundry Lullaby (www.myspace.com/cartridge)
6. Catherine Kontz - Waiting to Crystallize (www.myspace.com/catherinekontz)
7. Murcof - Cielo (Cosmos - Leaf)
8. Chris Watson / BJNilsen - Bjnilsen - Austrvegr (Storm - Touch)
9. Biosphere - In triple time (Dropsonde - Touch)
10. Jim White - That Girl From Brownsville Texas (Drill A Hole In The Substrate And Tell Me What You See - Luaka Bop)
11. Jim White - Jailbird (Transnormal Skiperoo - Luaka Bop)
15 Sep 2007, 14:04 by sharevariSo it's finally happening. It's been about four months since the rooftop BBQ where me and Sasha started discussing starting a night and Graziela, being absent as per usual, enthusiastically texted back in support of the idea.
Between us, we have slightly different musical tastes, but with all three being die-hard Future Brain regulars, it was somewhat inevitable that italo disco would play a large part in this new night. We did not however, want it to be just about italo, as Future Brain already does a fantastic job of that. The idea is that It's Automatic should bring together a wider range of styles, from old school electro and freestyle to jacking ghetto disko a la Legowelt, to Detroit techno to minimal synth to 80s pop to italo/cosmic disco etc. All with an emphasis on fun and danceability (and cheesy synths ;).
The name, in case you're wondering, is nicked from electro classic It's Automatic by Freestyle.
So, do come down to The Macbeth on Friday 28 September and join in the festivities. …
2 May 2007, 17:14 by CylobHow was 1979 for you? This is how it was for us...
100 GREAT ALBUMS OF 1979!
Compiled at MAC.
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Adam and the Ants - Dirk Wears White Sox
The Alan Parsons Project - Eve
Art Bears - Winter Songs
The B-52's - The B-52's
The Bee Gees - Spirits having Flown
The Birthday Party - Hee Haw EP
Black Devil - Disco Club
Blondie - Eat to the Beat
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival
Buzzcocks - A Different Kind of Tension
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Cabaret Voltaire - Mix-up
The Cars - Candy-O
Chic - Risque
Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves
The Clash – London Calling
Cluster - Grosses Wasser
The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
David Bowie - Lodger
Devo - Duty Now for the Future
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Armed Forces
The Fall - Live At The Witch Trials
The Fall - Dragnet
27 Feb 2007, 16:41 by CylobJust when you thought it was safe to browse someone's journal...
108 GREAT NEW ROMANTIC & 80's SYNTH-POP ALBUMS!
Compiled at MAC.
a-ha - Hunting High And Low (1985)
a-ha - Scoundrel Days (1986)
ABC - The Lexicon of Love (1982)
Adam & The Ants - Prince Charming (1981)
After the Fire - Laser Love (1980)
Alison Moyet - Alf (1984)
Alphaville - Forever Young (1985)
Altered Images - Pinky Blue (1982)
Ambitious Lovers - Envy (1984)
Animotion - Animotion (1985)
Arcadia - So Red The Rose (1985)
Aztec Camera - High Land, Hard Rain (1983)
Bananarama - Cruel Summer (1983)
Associates - Sulk (1982)
Berlin - Pleasure Victim (1982)
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell (1985)
Blancmange - Happy Families (1982)
Blondie - Autoamerican (1980)
Blow Monkeys - She Was Only A Grocer's Daughter (1987)
Book Of Love - Book Of Love (1986)
Bryan Ferry - Boys And Girls (1985)
Boytronic - The Working Model (1983)
Bronski Beat - The Age of Consent (1984)
15 Jun 2006, 18:04 by Eaten_OedipusAlog - Miniatures (Rune Grammofon)
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (CBS)
Brian Eno - Music For Films (Editions EG)
DBX - Losing Control Remixes EP (Peacefrog)
Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom - Relevee Remixes EP (DFA)
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Place (Temporary Residence)
Gina X Performance - Nice Mover (Crystal Schallplatten)
John Cale & Terry Riley- Church of Anthrax (Columbia)
Julien Neto - Le Fumeur de Ciel (Type Records)
Led Zeppelin III (Atlantic)
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (Columbia)
Orval Carlos Sibelius (Clapping Music)
Section 25 - The Key of The Dreams (Factory Records)