There are at least eleven groups, or aliases, by the name of Envy:
1. Since their formation in 1992, Envy has become a dominant band in the independent hardcore and screamo scene in Japan. Their music has evolved over the years to incorporate hardcore, screamo, and most recently, the epic tendencies of post-rock. Envy is characterized by their ability to master screamo's loud-soft dynamic to evoke both crushing brutality and gentle beauty, often within the same song. Much has been made of vocalist Tetsuya Fukugawa's own skill at commanding this dichotomy and thusly their live shows have grown in legend over the years. The band is also noted for their deep and poetic lyrics.
The band has become increasingly popular among the post rock scene in the last few years for their incorporation of Mogwai-esque sound and composition dynamics into more traditional screamo songs. This new influence can be most easily identified on their last three releases, "All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead" released by Dim Mak,"A Dead Sinking Story" released on Level Plane and "Insomniac Doze" released on Temporary Residence Limited.
The band has since become friends with Mogwai and vocalist Tetsuya Fukagawa was featured on a track from Mogwai's 2006 album "Mr. Beast."
In March of 2006, it was announced that Envy had signed to Temporary Residence Limited for American distribution of Insomniac Doze (though it was released by Mogwai's Rock Action label in Europe and Envy's own Sonzai Records in Japan). The move was significant because Level Plane is a screamo oriented label and Temporary Residence is a post rock oriented label (featuring bands like Mono and Explosions In The Sky), thus signalling a more serious shift in the band's style of music. The band has said that this latest album is one step closer to their ideal music. The 7 track album, Insomniac Doze, was released in the summer of 2006 and was accompanied by a full american tour, some of which was in conjunction with Explosions in the Sky and Mono.
On April 1, 2016, vocalist Tetsuya Fukagawa has decided to leave the band. The remaining four members, Nobukata Kawai, Dairoku Seki, Masahiro Tobita and Manabu Nakagawa will continue on as envy.
2. Envy was a straight edge hardcore band from buffalo, new york.
3. Envy (currently known as Redound) is a Bulgarian beatdown hardcore band.
4. Envy is a female UK Urban artist from Manchester, UK.
5. Envy (EnV) is an artist on Newgrounds known for his trance and electronica tracks.
6. Finnish gothic metal band, they formed in 2000 and changed name to Trespassenger in 2007, their style also changed to melodic death metal.
7. American progressive symphonic metal band, they changed name to Envinity.
8. Envy is a rapper best known for his freestyle battle with Eli Porter.
9. Envy was a hard rock band with a female singer from USA.
10.Envy is the former name of a Norwegian duo that has changed their name to Nico & Vinz. For this duo, please change your ID3-tags!
11. eNVy is a creator of experimental electronic music under the account of soundcloud user uuNVuu. eNVy, spellingly, consists of the word "envy" twice. Once by its full spelling, and again by the letters NV, which so happen to be the artist's first and last initials, which is where the main whole inspiration of the name came from.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.