26 Jun 2012, 20:11 by Milkshake8The Internet has been Abuzz with Emily White, a intern at NPR, and her article about how she has never bought music and probably never will. and the response from David Lowery of Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker. Lowery's response is a powerful piece of writing, and contains some valuable insights into what The Old Music Industry did well, but it's also A Mess. He has some weird Conspiracy Theory that the "free culture" movement is funded by large tech companies as a stalking horse for their issues. Speaking as someone who's raised a fair bit of money for that movement, I'm here to tell you that he's just wrong. For example, most of my wages when I was at the Electronic Frontier Foundation were funded by a grant from the MacArthur Foundation. He also blames the tragic suicides of two musicians on the free culture movement and the alleged effect this has had on musicians' fortunes. Even if you stipulate that the fall in those musicians' fortunes could be blamed on the…
3 Mar 2011, 18:33 by Under_Radar_Mag
23 Feb 2011, 06:50 by martycain131. Social Distortion / Ball And Chain / social distortion
2. Galaxie 500 / Don't Let Our Youth Go To Waste / Today
3. Smith Westerns / Weekend / Dye It Blonde
4. The Dodos/ Winter / Daytrotter Session - 5/24/2010
5. David Lowery/ Raise 'Em Up On Honey / The Palace Guards
6. Girls / Summertime / Album
7. Elliott Smith / Happiness (Single Version) / An Introduction to Elliott Smith
8. Blitzen Trapper / Black River Killer / Black River Killer -EP
9. Busman's Holiday / Daniel's Lament / Old Friends
10. The Apples in Stereo / Energy / New Magnetic Wonder
11. The Radio Dept. / Heaven's On Fire / Heaven's On Fire - Single
12. The White Stripes / Ball and Biscuit (Live) / Under Great White Northern Lights (Live)
13. Library Voices / Insider Trading (On Outsider Art) / Denim on Denim
14. Conor Oberst/ Lenders In the Temple / conor oberst
15. The Cave Singers / Haller Lake / No Witch
31 Jan 2011, 23:29 by Babs_05The idea is for a journal for every month listing new albums I listen to and what I think so that when I review the year's music in December, I will have a handy reminder. I will add to this as the month goes on. Suggestions welcome.
Play the radio: My Gang Featured Albums 11 http://static.last.fm/matt/tinyradio.gif
2011 Year-end list contenders
w/c Mon 31 January:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-y2AnGg8L._AA115_.jpg Bobby Long - A Winter Tale
After a big break from the 'Twilight' soundtrack, the British singer-songwriter releases his first official studio LP. (Spinner) Soothing. No loud, unexpected noises. Good, because I have a migraine today. This is my medicine.
We7 | Spotify | mflow | MySpace
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BEXJbCMAL._AA115_.jpg Bright Eyes - The People's Key
16 Dec 2010, 19:33 by JackWIrritatingly, although there are plenty of tools for analysing last.fm listening stats, I can't find an equivalent for event listings, so this has had to be fairly painfully manual.
I attended 126 shows this year, up 3 from last year and an average of a gig every 2.9 days. I've watched approximately 238 distinct bands/artists.
My most frequently seen artists were (showing everybody I caught three or more times):
Unit Nine (7 shows)
Aidy (5 shows)
The Mekons (4 shows)
Sachanovak (4 shows)
Eureka Stockade (3 shows)
Spiers & Boden / Jon Boden (3 shows)
Midway Still (3 shows)
The Pony Collaboration (3 shows)
The Travis Waltons (3 shows)
The Whybirds (3 shows)
Strangely, this will bear little resemblance to the meat of this article, my favourite gigs of the year. Notable by their absence, though, are The Broken Family Band. Sob.
So, breaking with my usual convention and starting with #10 first, to preserve suspense:
9 Mar 2010, 15:06 by autochocador...
counting crows - Someday I Will Treat You Good
daniel johnston - Most Beautiful Widow
Alessandro Nivola - Shade & Honey
Someday I Will Treat You Good
lauren hoffman - Heart of Darkness
hay un disco tributo llamado That Horse Yonder: The Songs Of Sparklehorse, en el q figuran entre otros
Racingpaperplanes - happy man
travel by sea - Return to Me
Barzin - Sad and Beautiful World
Wesafari - Comfort Me
Danny and the Nightmares - Most Beautiful Widow (es Daniel Johnston)
hallado en otras discografías:
- escrito para Cracker : Sick Of Goodbyes : primera versión de Sick of Goobyes
- escrito para Susanna Hoffs en Unreleased Columbia Album:
Ghost : versión previa de Ghost Of His Smile
Happy Place primera versión de Happy Place
- escrito para A Camp : Elephant
- escrito para Sage Francis : Love The Lie
Sparklehorse en tributos:
West of Rome cover de Vic Chesnutt
30 Sep 2006, 19:16 by littlemouthread me have an awkward conversation with Camper Van Beethoven's David Lowery. fuckin' sweet dude.
camper van beethoven takes me bowling...not really.
oh hey, look at Bob Seger get some college press.
watch as molly reveals her unadulterated love for bob seger to the entire student body/the one's that actually read the newspaper/no one.