Chant may refer to the following artists:
1) Chant: a Tribal-Industrial project created by Bradley Bills, based out of Austin, TX.
- Active since 2002, Chant has released one CD/DVD EP and two full length releases, reaching international recognition and reviews in the underground music scene (ReGen Mag/IndustrialRock.net )
- Toured nationally and supported Pigface, The Genitorturers, KMFDM, Combichrist, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, Lords of Acid, Angelspit, Ego Likeness, and Black Light Burns through 2005-2010
- Contributed and performed on Pigface's "6" album
- Contributed to drum programming for the soundtrack to Tabula Rasa video game
- Currently touring in 2011 and supporting most recent release: Strong Words For Strong People (8-25684-90022-0)
2) Chant: Various gospel groups relating to Hymns and chanting
3) Chant: Reggae / Roots Rock group
Years Active: (?-?)
4) DJ Chant
Years Active: (?-?)
5) Chant: alternative rock band from California
6) Chant: jazz/rock/avantgarde trio from Milan, Italy.
Bio: Chant is a trio born in 1999 from an idea of drummer Cristiano Calcanile.
Until 2007, Chant performed as an acoustic trio, releasing an album in 2003 for the Italian label "Caligola" that was enthusiastically received by critics for the strong interplay of the players and the original blend of compositional elements and free improvisation.
In 2007, during the recording of their second album, the trio felt a strong need to rethink their musical working method, and thus the decision of enrich their instrumental and compositional palette. That necessity brought the inclusion of electric and electronic (electric bass and synthesizers) and acoustic instruments (harpsichord, pipe organ, clavichord and harmonium) as well as the use of the recording studio "as an instrument" (a feature that is usually atypical in the improvised music field). This process consisted in one year dedicated to the pre-production of the new material, and a new, longer recording session during Summer 2008 in Finland.
This music is the result of our personal research between composition and improvisation, but with a strong intention of leaving the interplay and the simple joy of playing together intact.
May 24, 2009
Cristiano Calcagnile - Drums, Amplified objects, Voice
Antonio Borghini - Acoustic and Electric Bass, Cello
Libero Mureddu - Piano, Harpsichord, Clavichord, Organ, Harmonium, Synthesizers
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.