Caravan is a:
1. British progressive rock band from Canterbury, United Kingdom
2. Thai folk-rock band, active in the 1970s.
3. Japanese singer songwriter.
4. A chaotic hardcore band from Antwerp, Belgium.
1. Caravan is a British progressive rock band from Canterbury, United Kingdom, founded by former Wilde Flowers members David Sinclair, Richard Sinclair, Pye Hastings, and Richard Coughlan. Caravan rose to success over a period of several years from 1968 onwards into the 1970s as part of the Canterbury scene which also included Soft Machine. Caravan still continue a part-time gigging existence into the present.
The band were largely dormant in the 1980s, but a 1990 reunion, planned as a one-off for U.K. television's Bedrock show, restarted their career. Latterly they have also achieved steady sales and a fan following with the support of the more eclectic corners of radio, like BBC Six Music's Freak Zone and the growing re-emergence of progressive rock.
2. Caravan is a Thai "folk-rock" band from the 1970s. They are the progenitors of the เพลงเพื่อชีวิต (pleng puea chiwit) or "songs for life" genre. Their music is loosely adapted folk-rock rhythms and melodies from American & British protest songs of the time and interlaced them with Thai folk idioms and instrumentation.
The band was founded in the early 1970s by student protest leaders surachai chanthimathon & wirasak sunthonsi. Their tunes & lyrics were a vital force for bringing the messages of urban student activism out to the provinces. In the wake of the massacre at thammasat university, the band fled Bangkok, some heading into the mountains of the northeast to join the communist insurgency in armed struggle. Needless to say, their music was banned from radioplay for quite a while, broadcast only from pirate stations in the hills.
3. Caravan is a Japanese singer songwriter who started out in a band during his high school days, playing as the guitarist. In 2001, he left the band and decided to go solo. He handed out copies of his independent demo titled "Homework#1" during his live shows.
In 2004, he released his first indie album "RAW LIFE MUSIC" from the label AARON FIELDS, he followed this up with releasing another indie album in November titled "Trip in the music".
With the help of his Promotion Video of "Soul music" being played frequently on SPACE SHOWER TV, Caravan gained some popularity and in 2005, he was signed with rhythm zone (of avex label) and released his first single "DAY DREAM". In 2006, Caravan released his first major album "WANDER AROUND" and since then, he has managed to produce a album each year (2007: PANORAMA VISION, 2008: Yellow Morning, 2009: Luck and Pluck) and in 2010, he released two best of albums titled "The Planet songs: vol1 + 2."
4. Caravan are a chaotic hardcore band hailing from Antwerp, Belgium. Their debut EP "Chaos is Ours" will be released soon.
Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.