"Dancing With Myself" is a song by the band Generation X released in 1981. According to the Dancing with Myself Songfacts, Billy Idol got the idea watching Asian kids "dancing With themselves" in a nightclub. The kids would dance in a pogo style up and down.
It was from their album, Kiss Me Deadly. It was one of their first true hit singles. At the time of its release, the band shortened their name to simply "Gen X." Also of note, the band contained only Billy Idol and Tony James from the original line-up. Idol went on to have great success with the single when he released a more pop friendly version (absent of the driving guitar and bass in the Gen X version) on his first solo release, Don't Stop. The guitar solo of this song is peculiarly similar to the guitar solo of Neu!'s "Hero", from their record Neu!75. The music video appears to be about being the sole survivor to a zombie apocalypse.
* Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol (1981)
* Ik dans wel met mezelf by De Kreuners (1984)
* Dancing with Myself by Blink-182 (March 10, 1997)
* Dancing with Myself by 30 Foot Fall (2000)
* Dancing with Myself by The Donnas (September 21, 2004)
* Dancing with Myself by Nouvelle Vague (July 10, 2006)
* Dancing with Myself by The Boomtang Boys
* Dansar med mig själv by Dag Vag
* Humppaan itsekseni by Eläkeläiset
* Dancing with Myself by Green Day (Played live on 2000 & 2005 tours)
* Dancin with Myself by Lisa Mitchell (Australian Idol 2006)
* Dancing with Myself by Al Gonzales (Bagpiper) and The Shots (2008)
Released - 1981
Recorded - Unknown
Genre - Punk Rock
Label - Chrysalis Records
Writer(s) - Billy Idol, Tony James
Producer - Keith Forsey
Track descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. Feel free to contribute!
All user-contributed text on this page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.