4 Jul 2015, 14:39 by esbartolo
21 Jun 2015, 08:59 by wolowina-saute
5 May 2015, 21:42 by MisterJunior1. How did you get into 29? Dead Kennedys
I got interested in punk when I was 16 or 17 and they were one of the groups I totally gravitated toward.
2. What was the first song you ever heard by 22? Ramones
Either "I Wanna Be Sedated" or "Blitzkrieg Bop," both of which were used in "Vacation" movies if I'm not mistaken.
3. What’s your favourite lyric by 33? Johannes Brahms
He was a Romantic composer who didn't write operas or tone/symphonic poems. He wrote some songs, though, including the "Four Serious Songs" piece. The lyrics of those are taken from Bible verses. Here's my favorite of those, Ecclesiastes 3:19:
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts,
as the one dieth, so dieth the other;
yea, they have all one breath;
so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast:
for all is vanity.
4. What is your favourite album by 49? Slayer
5. How many albums by 13 do you own? Pixies
7 Mar 2015, 15:34 by esbartolo
28 Jan 2015, 11:00 by MisterJuniorI originally wrote this for a guy on YouTube who expressed a desire to get into Miles Davis, but since I ended up writing so much I thought I would cross-post it here just in case someone happens across this page and is unfamiliar with but curious about Miles as well.
Here are 10 albums from Miles Davis that in my opinion make an excellent "primer" of his overall body of work. These are not necessarily the 10 Miles Davis albums I consider to be "the best" but rather the 10 that I feel best capture the various aspects and important phases of his long and very influential and innovative career. I've tried to take into account the albums' accessibility, quality and how representative they are of the particular phase from which they're drawn.
1. Birth of the Cool - Collection of cool jazz sides recorded in '49-'50 with larger ensembles. As the title indicates, it was instrumental in the development of the cool jazz sound, which distinguishes itself from bop/bebop by generally using slower tempi…
26 Jan 2015, 23:20 by floor-augh, better late than never! the best of list. the fantastic 50+. the enigmatic jigsaw puzzle of 2014. a few mentionable releases i'll be always ready to recommend and share.
the emphasized and starred ones are albums i had the biggest crush. if you happened to have a similar taste like me, you may want to give them a try. and i'm always open for recommendations, so if you feel like sharing, feel free to leave a shout! i'd be more than happy :) cheers!
• 36 – Dream Tempest [3six Recordings, 2014]
• A Silver Mt. Zion – 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons [constellation, 2008]
• A Winged Victory for the Sullen – Atomos
* alt-J – This Is All Yours
• Amerigo Gazaway – Yasiin Gaye: The Departure (Side One) [self-released, 2014], Yasiin Gaye: The Return (Side Two) [self-released, 2014]
• Animals as Leaders – Animals As Leaders
• Arc Lab – The Nineteen Floors , No Spectre [n5md, 2007], The Goodbye Radio [n5md, 2008]
* Arcade Fire – Arcade Fire [(not on label), 2003], Her [?, 2013]
31 Dec 2014, 23:10 by esbartolo
31 Dec 2014, 23:02 by esbartolo
6 Dec 2014, 16:13 by esbartolo
11 Nov 2014, 17:09 by esbartolo