12,259,002 listeners (926,741,929 plays)
Polydor became a popular music label in 1946 while the famously yellow Deutsche Grammophon seal became a classical music label. No Frenchman, though, could be expected to buy (or pronounce!) a product labelled Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft, so Polydor remained Deutsche Grammophon’s export label, including Classical music, in France and the Spanish-speaking world for the remainder of the long-playing era.
In the early 1960s orchestra leader Bert Kaempfert signed unknowns Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers to Polydor. The Beat Brothers, of course, were actually The Beatles, and less than two years later, with a new drummer and new haircuts and now signed to Parlophone, became one of the biggest and most influential groups the world has ever seen.
Popular German entertainers such as James Last, Bert Kaempfert, Kurt Edelhagen, Caterina Valente and the Kessell Sisters appeared on the Polydor label, as well as many French, Spanish and Latin-American figures.
Electric Picnic 2014
Stradbally Estate, Co Laois, Ireland
82 going 5 shouts
Beck - iTunes Festival 2014
Roundhouse, London, United Kingdom
18 going 1 shout
Robin Hill, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
120 going 14 shouts
- Joscelyn unlinked Polydor from A deleted journal. 27 days ago
- kewlkatycat connected Polydor to the group Katy Perry and Lana Del Rey!. April 2014
- GonzaloGJ17 connected Polydor to the group Lana Del Rey is our Top Artist. September 2013
- goritskaia wrote about Polydor in a deleted journal. August 2013
- iwannafuckldr connected Polydor to the group LanaismPOLSKA. May 2013
- The Beatles 18,308 members
- G-A-Y 5,438 members
- Jimi Hendrix 3,071 members
- Funky Music 1,870 members
- Sudamérica 1,701 members