14,271,522 listeners (1,321,452,009 plays)
Geffen Records was founded in 1980 by music industry businessman David Geffen who, in the early 1970s, had formed Asylum Records. Geffen stepped down from Asylum after being diagnosed with a cancerous cyst but, following confirmation that the growth was benign, returned to work and struck a deal with Warner Bros. Records to create Geffen Records. Warner provided 100 percent of the funding for the label’s operations, while Geffen retained 50 percent of the profits, and distributed its records. (International distribution outside the US and Canada, meanwhile, moved from WEA in 1982 to CBS until 1990.)
Geffen Records’ first signee was disco superstar Donna Summer, whose gold-selling album The Wanderer became the label’s first release in 1980. The label followed it up with Double Fantasy by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. It was Lennon’s first album of all-new material in several years. Two days after it entered the charts, Lennon was assassinated in New York City. Subsequently, the album went on to sell millions and gave Geffen its first number one album and single.
Geffen Records also had early success with several “big 80s” acts including Quarterflash , Oxo, Asia, Wang Chung, and a pre-Van Halen Sammy Hagar.
As the 1980s progressed, Geffen Records continued to sign a handful of established music icons, including Elton John, Cher, Don Henley, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Peter Gabriel. Toward the end of the decade, the company also began making a name for itself as an emerging rock label, thanks to the success of Whitesnake, Guns N’ Roses and the mainstream comeback of ’70s era rockers Aerosmith.
Beck - iTunes Festival 2014
Roundhouse, London, United Kingdom
23 going 2 shouts
Let Rock Rule
Prudential Center, Newark, New York, United States
6 going 1 shout
Robin Hill, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
127 going 15 shouts
- TaureDawn connected Geffen to the group Nazgûl. April 2014
- TaureDawn linked Geffen to a deleted group. March 2014
- FrameBuster uploaded Geffen Records to Geffen’s images. March 2014
- Jackal13 linked Geffen to a deleted group. November 2013
- IRONICtypo unlinked Geffen from Digital Dream Door. November 2013
- Classic Rock 25,491 members
- Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs to 13,480 members
- Industrial Music 5,221 members
- The Group That Carries Music Everywhere They Go, Even To Places They're Not Supposed… 4,891 members
- I don't have an Ipod 4,282 members