• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 5 2005, 12:24

Hello.

Hi to whoever is reading this, if anyone.

I started this group since I seldom find people who like the kind of music that I listen to who aren't teenagers. I don't mind this too much but thought there might be people like me who might want to talk with people a little older.

I hope i'm not wrong or that means I'm really quite sad.

• szarka ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Gen 7 2005, 15:12
    The same day you created this group I create "Over 30 and Not To Be Trusted" (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Over%2B30%2Band%2BNot%2BTo%2BBe%2BTrusted), so I guess great--or at least, old--minds think alike. ;)

• CJayC ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Feb 22 2005, 6:23
    Cool group.

Modificato da CJayC in data Feb 22 2005, 6:23
  • mark me over 30 and certainly not to be trusted.

this beat could win me a grammy.
  • hi all

I'm older than that, so i will feel comfortable around here :)

• Utente
    • Ago 25 2005, 9:29
    does the oldest person win a prize?

• sacred68 ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ago 30 2005, 23:06

hi all!

And i know what you mean!

• tarbox ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Set 7 2005, 18:11
    i can't get with ya if the musical connections are to be believed. i don't like some of those bands AT ALL - okay, i really kinda hate 'em - and the couple i really like are only the slimmest sliver and don't really rate much as punk goes, anyway.

i'm not tearing down the group, but just expressing my disappointment that we don't fit. maybe it's because i'm not old at 41, i'm fucking geriatric.

just a bubble in a perfect paint job.
    • Utente
    • Set 7 2005, 22:48

the youngster

Hell punks! Should I count myself as a Youngster here? My mother keep telling me that I'm thirty, but obviously I'm not. So the the group's name attracted me, that is why I joined. But I live in a village right now. Maybe I'm too punk for urban areas.

• I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Chronological Age: 33
    Physical Age: 47
    Mental Age: 15

That's me that is!!!!

• Re:

Quoth CopticTimes:
    does the oldest person win a prize?

well that won't be you then, you're virtually a toddler still!

But seriously, I've been thinking about starting just such a group as this for a while. Good to be amongst folks who remember the original 'Teenage Kicks'.

"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." John Trudell
  • well this is a great idea, but a very slow moving group. Guess we're all to busy being spoon fed and trying out our new tartan blankets to do much posting! And Derek, your still young fella, you can still go to a club without raising any eyebrows. Does any one else feel that, in general, society thinks still being into 'alternative' or 'cutting edge' music after a certain age is a strange thing, especially if you still want to go to gigs and stuff. Less so these days than ever but its still there. I mean other interests like sports etc. are OK to travel with for your whole life, but this interest you are expected to...er...grow out of. anyways who cares, as I said to my kids the other day after forcing them to listen to the new 'Selfish Cunt' single!

like an open box of cornflakes, it's gonna let you down my friend
  • Re:

Quoth talkinloud:..other interests like sports etc. are OK to travel with for your whole life, but this interest you are expected to...er...grow out of.

Yup, the old 'you've got plenty of CDs, why do you need to buy any more?' argument.
    I find that my interest in music is accepted more by younger people (especially when they want to borrow a CD) than by my contemporaries who treat it as slightly eccentric.

"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." John Trudell
  • Yeah, thats true, my nephew (18) thinks Im kinda cool for an old geezer as I had some CD's in the car that he and friend wanted to listen to when I was at my sisters house once. The worst thing though is that some people think it is an attempt to 'hang on to your youth' or some other such nonsense, rather than a genuine love and passion for something.

Your quote about 'you've got plenty of CD's' etc. remonds me of that quote from High Fidelity when his mum says 'wasting your time with a load of old blooming pop records' hah, that always makes me laugh.

• It's as if they think that they've evolved and I haven't, whereas I think they probably never really got into music in the first place. Either way I rock and they're wrong.

Also had the weird experience of having my daughter look at me with something approaching respect when I told her that I'd seen the Ramones live (at least I think it was respect, it's not an expression my daughter uses very often).

• Re:

Quoth Grafittiman:
    It's as if they think that they've evolved and I haven't, whereas I think they probably never really got into music in the first place. Either way I rock and they're wrong.

Yeah, ha, I know exactly how you mean. I really dont think some ever really got into music much and that shows now in a real lack of interest in anything new. Some people seem to embrace the time when they can leave all that behind. So while most of my freinds are out playing golf, I'm still reading the NME for christsakes. I know people who have about 12 cd's to their name. I find that incredible. I still ask people what music they like, something I really should perhaps have stopped by now as I get funny looks.

Regarding seeing the ramones live, it is right and proper that your daughter should look at you with respect, who wouldnt.

• Re: Re:

Quoth talkinloud:I know people who have about 12 cd's to their name. I find that incredible. I still ask people what music they like, something I really should perhaps have stopped by now as I get funny looks.
    ...and one of those is always Simply Red.

And what's wrong with asking people what sort of mussic they like. You can tell a lot about someone from the sort of music they're into, and if they're not into music that's very telling in itself.

Quoth talkinloudRegarding seeing the ramones live, it is right and proper that your daughter should look at you with respect, who wouldnt.She's 12, she doesn't do respect, only contempt. Anything else requires cold hard cash.

• damm, I dont know how to use the quotes, as you can see.

But yes, very funny, there is always a Simply Red CD amongst the 12. Some may also contain a Sade, more contemporary people may have invested in a Sophie Ellis Bextor CD and others will have Life Through A Lens.

Yes, I dont think there's anything wrong with asking what music people like, but so many of the people I have asked seem to have no opinion whatsoever (usually eliciting the response R&B) that I am thinking of giving up. I was travelling with work recently and one of the guys I was travelling with, who I had never met before, had an MP3 player, this got us talking about music and it was great, a real treat for me frankly, to meet someone who had a passion.

• ...and if they don't like football either...? well it's probably time to start checking 'em for a pulse.

• Yeah, but that seems a given these days, even if they dont, really. And books, I kinda like people who have books. I think I'm probably making unfair lifestyle judgements on people here.

• ?

Where did everyone go?

Did y'all die, or retire to appartments on the Algarve or something?

• tarbox ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 13 2005, 19:44
    creak. creak creak. (thin, quiet, sickening snapping and popping sounds.) moan.

• tarbox ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 13 2005, 19:46
    holy fuck. this is the oldster group and the average age is 11 years younger than me.

thanks, assholes. be older now, okay?

• well, I just joined you in the 40-something category. I turned 40 at the weekend and it's still really freaking me out.

Perhaps we should start a 'fabulous and over 40' group and leave all these toddlers behind?

• tarbox ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Dic 16 2005, 14:13
    you know, i wonder how many over-40s are actually active here at the site. there was this pirate45 guy who is a big repubilcan and listens to bad older radio hits. but how many others? are there demographics for the whole site the way there are for groups?

graffittiman, you set up the geriatric version of this group and i'm there. i'll follow you anywhere.

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.