• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 18 2006, 16:17

Anyone else hate the term 'IDM'?

Because I do. Here's why:

1) It is so artificial. It lumps together acts as diverse as BoC and venetian snares. What links these artists as the same genre?

2) It's also very clique-ish. There's a difference between being experimental and glorying in being inaccesible, unpopular and weird, which 'IDM' tends to encourage.

3) By defining the music as 'intelligent' you imply that all other music is stupid. For instance techno is not generally considered IDM, yet a Richie Hawtin production is equally as stylised and multi-layered as, for example, Proem. Why is Proem intelligent and Hawtin not?

4) A whole bunch of other reasons I forgot as I began to lose interest in my rant

I like most of the acts that are considered 'IDM', but surely it would be better if it was divided along other lines? eg, post-techno, breakbeat, electronic dub, etc etc. Calling the music you like 'intelligent' just coz you like it makes you sound like a pretentious wank.

• i agree the title IDM it is a little pretentious. thankgod its only an acronym. But i think there are far better names for a genre than IDM... unfortunately i cant think of any now, I shall get back to you.

• <3 proem

I agree, IDM is a pretty ridiculous title.

• adrianyo ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 25 2006, 2:16
    i agree aswell idm is a bit pretentious but i think idm is now a too widely used term. i think it originated from early electronica which used like maths and science to structure or influence thier music, hence names like cathode mu-ziq
    also most of the people that listen to and create electronic music are or were considered nerds.

.... i think its pretty intelligent what plaid aphex and venetian snares do in the stereographs of some of thier songs http://www.bastwood.com/aphex.php

• Utente
    • Lug 25 2006, 12:12
    Oh don't get me wrong, I appreciate the cerebral qualities of acts such as autechre, aphex twin and µ-ziq (i'm so smug at being able to write that little sign). I think the acts you mention are among the most deserving for the title (also, although I had a go at this lumping together above, BoC display a similar level of design and planning in their music. Try listening to geogaddi with the bass pumped up and the treble right down, you hear a lot of trippy stuff) Problem is, except for some µ-ziq's side projects or very early AFX, I struggle to think of one of these artists which is danceable...

• Utente
    • Lug 25 2006, 12:13
    *hence they don't really deserve the title 'dance' music. :)

• divinius ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Lug 29 2006, 10:50
    i think the part were it's called 'intelligent' its mostly reffered to the beats, and compared to the most non-intelligent tracks it has some intellegence around it
    you can hear that the artists have really really put their mind on the beats (and since thats a great part of the whole 'genre' they just all call it intelligent)

still i agree on IDM not being a good name. and also, if it was a good name when it first started, the subgenres within the genre have evolved so much that a lot of stuff isnt hardly anything like 'the real IDM' as someone said: venetian snares - BoC .. ambient - breakcore
    total contradictions! i cant call them the same genre..

i think its best to see IDM as an influence from the past for a lot of electronic music now

• IanAR ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Lug 29 2006, 12:42

[OT] Top-Tags Are Rubbish!

I'd not say I hate the term, but, rather, despise it - along with most of Last.fm's top-tags, see over here. - Ian

• niomas ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ago 7 2006, 8:42
    i dont like the term, but i like IDM music ;)

• marsipan ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Ago 8 2006, 16:35
    I also agree that "Intelligent Dance Music" is a very bad name. Not only because it seems as an arrogant, pretensious way of dismissing other kinds of dance music, but also because could imply that all IDM is dance music of some kind, which is not true at all (only true in the sense that you can dance to almost any type of music). Unfortunately the name got general acceptance and it is too late to change it. Let's think of it as an acronym, as previously suggested.
    Wait, why not pretend it stands for "Instantly Delightful Music" ? ;)

Paulo

• niomas ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Ago 14 2006, 8:06
    im for Instantly Delightful Music! ;)

• IanAR ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Ago 14 2006, 11:06

Divide And Conquer

IDM = Instituted by Dumb Media

EBM = Espoused by Devicive Media

Apply deconstructionism! Forget IDM & EBM, they were just advertising speak. Break them down, into sub-genre, that're meaningful and cohesive in aesthetic sound/feel and/or technical production, of the music (see my tags).

P(h)unk is not dead! - Ian

• [spam]

[spam]

THX 4 THE SIGGY LOREN ILU4EVR SWETUMZ <3

hi :)
    Modificato da hjbardenhagen in data Gen 3 2011, 13:06
  • owing to the controversy surrounding the use of the term idm, i propose we adopt a new epithet that more accurately repsesents our loved music: elm - or electronic listening music... i think i read it somewhere... any takers?

• [spam]

[spam]

THX 4 THE SIGGY LOREN ILU4EVR SWETUMZ <3

hi :)
    Modificato da hjbardenhagen in data Gen 3 2011, 13:06
    • louman ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mar 21 2007, 3:42
    i hate most uber-lump genre names.
    this includes "indie" which is basically the new "alternative".

over-general genres are only useful to people who are unfamiliar with the "genre" in question. IDM is basically just modern electric non-"dance" music. this says little to nothing about the style of the music, so it's only used to distinguish electric music from dance music.
    i dont use the term, unless im talking to people who dont listen to IDM.

if you find the "intelligent" part of the genre arrogant, call it "braindance" like RDJ. music that your brain dances to.
    :)

• sfynthan ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mar 25 2007, 13:39

ehm...

please forgive my ignorance... but what does IDM stands for?

the only thing I know is that I like this kind of music, but looking around I found this definition, I wonder what does it mean...

• mmm i think it stands for 'intelligent dance music' - for what reasons im not quite sure.

• malexin ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mar 27 2007, 19:10
    Let's quote the not so serious Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music regarding IDM:

"This is the oddest named genre in the entire world, since it's not easily danceable, it's not certifiably intelligent, and it's arguable as to whether it constitutes as actual music."

• smc2911 ha detto...
    • Abbonato
    • Apr 7 2007, 22:04
    The Wikipedia entry covers the history of the term reasonably well. Apparently it was first used to refer to The Snow.

• I D fuckin M yeah

yes true true i now refuse to use the term IDM who made that up anyway , obviously someone who has a snobbish attitude towards the dance scene and wants to be accepted by those who think electronic music is simple, which it is not you simple people, Fuck that!!!!! LETS HAVE IT!!!! musical snobs catch a grip!!!!!

Kiani
  • IDM is like a generic term that you call something if you don't have a better name for it.

I like the music but calling music IDM is way too broad. It's like calling music by Pink Floyd "Electronic Music".

• am i the only one who likes the term IDM?

k
    • Utente
    • Apr 20 2007, 5:03
    i love it i dont regret it one bit.

• Utente
    • Apr 20 2007, 5:05
    IDM IDM IDM IDM IDM
    INTELLIGENT DANCE MUSIC INTELLIGENT DANCE MUSIC INTELLIGENT DANCE MUSIC might as well get comfortable with it now, looks like its gonna be stayin' awhile

*lets brain dance!*

Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.