[Review] Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

• [Review] Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

"Djent?!", you're asking? I hear you. The whole hype about this genre (?) is annoying as fuck and almost all of those bands just sound like watered down Meshuggah baby clones, with too much sugar coating. I'm sure most of you will agree. So, why this review?

Well, I've stumbled upon a video for Vildhjarta's new song Benblåst and was a bit surpised. This barely sounded like most of the Djent stuff I've heard before. It sounded discordant, eerie and trippy. So I was kind of eager to give their new album a shot. Luckily, this song wasn't a one-off thing. Måsstaden delivers the vibe that the video promised. Yes, they've got the occasional polyrythmic patterns and what not, but their melodies are something else, unlike the candy sweet (as in boring) harmonies you'd expect from a Djent band. Now the songwriting isn't exactly the greatest and there are just too many songs on Måsstaden, so it can get a bit boring along the road. Nonetheless, I can see the band evolving into something more and detach from the Djent-tag, if they continue what they've started with this album.

Vildhjarta managed to create a sound of their own, at least in the uniform scene they're a part of, and deliver a solid album of modern, technical Metal. The basics are kind of typical, but they're stepping outside the box, when it comes to the melodies and overall vibe. Give them a shot, even if you hate that genre as much as I do.

• So far I have listened to one song (which has a music video) and I was amazed. A buddy of mine told me about this band and mostly he recommend Djent bands which are really boring - like you said. I will check this band in the coming days and let you people know what I think of it.

• [Utente eliminato] ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Nov 26 2011, 19:25
    hmm, I dont know. that Benblåst song just sounded like a more trippy version of deathcore to me...

• djent sucks. and so does this album.

• KMFCM ha detto...
    • Utente
    • Mar 28 2012, 1:53
    I finally listened to this.

I don't think it's bad, but I do think Danza just do it better.

"i'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" - Stephen Colbert
Gli utenti anonimi non possono inviare messaggi. Per inserire messaggi nei forum, accedi o crea il tuo account.