Bike Horror Stories

• Bike Horror Stories

What kind of bad experiences have you had while riding?

One time I was going through a trail and I almost biked FACE FIRST into a spider web and a spider. Being the arachnophobe that I am I screamed like a girl and freaked out for half an hour. Needless to say, I avoid paths now and I'm thinking of switching my mountain bike out for a fixed gear so I never accidentally make the mistake of taking a trail.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Nov 2008, 11:31
    But TRAILS KICK ASS. I think my worst experience has been almost getting hit by a red BMW that took a quick right without a signal or a glance backwards. Unsettling.

But fixed gears are cool.

• My worst bike experience...

...wasn't that bad. It was Saturday believe it or not. Oh, and it was because of my new fixie, so beware MoreThanMike, cause here is a danger you might run into. I had just finished converting a fuji frame to fixed gear last week and was having issues with the chain tension. The chain ring is sorta eccentric and there is a really tight spot and a really loose spot in the rotation of the cranks. I spent over an hour trying to minimize it and made some progress and thought it was good enough. Rode it Friday night, and then also on Saturday afternoon and on my way home was going up a very slight uphill but was pumping the bike to get some speed and while the bike was leaned over to the left a bit the chain slipped a bit and since I was going uphill with little momentum I just fell to the left side like a cartoon character. Hurt my wrist and elbow bit but nothing too serious. Another bicyclist stopped and asked if I was ok and after I said I was she was like "you have a pretty bike." That was cool at least. It's black with pink deep-v's and bullhorns with zebra stripe tape. I need to get a pic up, but first I need to get a new chain ring me thinks.

Oh, and I'd have freaked out too MoreThanMike. Ugh, spiders.

• Asshole friend was stoned and thought it would be fun to run into my back tire because it makes that "Fphhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noise. Well we were going down a hill and I guess he wasn't paying attention, drove straight into me.
    We both flipped off, I landed flat on my back, sprained two fingers, and almost got run over because we were in the middle of the road.

• I broke my arm once while riding dirt jumps. It was out in the middle of nowhere too, and this was before cellphones so couldn't call anyone for help. I ended up riding for about half an hour with a broken arm back into town. it really sucked.

I've had a few crashes while riding home a little too intoxicated. No serious injurys from that though, excpept for looking like a fool. ahaha = )

• lest_R said...
    • User
    • 1 Dec 2008, 22:20
    A bee flew into the neck opening of my shirt once, and since I was riding fast down hill, the wind was pressing it against my chest. Desperate, I tried to grab it (still riding), which resulted in me mashing bee and sting into my skin. I whimpered out loud because of the pain, and I steered into the curb and lost control over the bike, panicking, and almost crashed. I reached the bottom of the hill and stopped, blinded by tears in my eyes and tried to get the sting out. I accidentally broke it in two though, and so I had to ride another 40 minutes, with the sting bit still in my chest and tears running down my cheeks, until I finally got to school where I could use tweezers to get the last bit out. Lucky I wasn't allergic, but man it hurt.

• Ytris said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2008, 04:00
    1. someone opens car door as I'm passing (scariest)
    2. chain came off bike while riding (most harmful)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2008, 06:15
    Ytris said:
    1. someone opens car door as I'm passing (scariest)
    2. chain came off bike while riding (most harmful)

The chain issue is a real problem. I got doored about 3 months ago in a heavy rain. I had to buy a brand new front wheel as a result.

• udbrud said...
    • User
    • 5 Jan 2009, 22:08
    Well. Worst biking experiences?
    1. I got hit by a car - severed several tendons in my shoulder, got some nasty cuts, smashed a hole in my forehead and just got some generally crazy looking bruises. Could've been worse, I guess, I could have gotten killed after all.
    2. Got bumped into by a handicap bus - resulted in a pretty highspeed sliding across the pavement, a broken wrist and some funky looking bruises.

But hell. Given that I ride several hundred kilometers on my bike every week, then things are bound to happen from time to time. These two have just given me an increased hatred for cars.

Apart from that, then I'd always recommend riding fixed, haha. Don't let this shit scare you off. When you're aware of your surroundings you can avoid almost everything - but every one in a while there is that one fucker, who all of a sudden does something completely idiotic and unexpected.

• Ytris said...
    • User
    • 6 Jan 2009, 01:55
    It's amazing how defensive a bicyclist I am as a result of nasty things like these.

udbrud said:
    1. I got hit by a car - severed several tendons in my shoulder, got some nasty cuts, smashed a hole in my forehead and just got some generally crazy looking bruises. Could've been worse, I guess, I could have gotten killed after all.
    2. Got bumped into by a handicap bus - resulted in a pretty highspeed sliding across the pavement, a broken wrist and some funky looking bruises.

But hell. Given that I ride several hundred kilometers on my bike every week, then things are bound to happen from time to time. These two have just given me an increased hatred for cars.

Apart from that, then I'd always recommend riding fixed, haha. Don't let this shit scare you off. When you're aware of your surroundings you can avoid almost everything - but every one in a while there is that one fucker, who all of a sudden does something completely idiotic and unexpected.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jan 2009, 03:25
    I have had so many scares, but no damage as of yet. Sorry to hear about your (udbrud) dangerous and yet survived incidents.

I plan to go fixed-gear later this year when I get a new bike.

• udbrud said:

i just got hit by a car the day after christmas and torn up tendons in my shoulder/ collar bone. ac separation. hurts like a bitttcchh. gotta wear a sling and physical therapy. i got stitches in my chin too.

• Waqcku said...
    • User
    • 15 Jan 2009, 03:57
    pretty tame, but I flew over the handlebars once and gouged the shit out of my chin. bled over my belle and sebastian shirt :( shouldn't have borrowed a front-wheel-brake bike I guess without getting acquainted first.

• udbrud said...
    • User
    • 20 Jan 2009, 10:43
    erikalahaa said:
    i just got hit by a car the day after christmas and torn up tendons in my shoulder/ collar bone. ac separation. hurts like a bitttcchh. gotta wear a sling and physical therapy. i got stitches in my chin too.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that - 'cus, yeah, I can relate.
    So far mine hasn't gotten too much better, but still a little better and that counts for something too! Hopefully the same will apply to you (although, I do wish you a speedy and complete recovery - that's probably to be preferred).

Jester-US said:
    I have had so many scares, but no damage as of yet. Sorry to hear about your (udbrud) dangerous and yet survived incidents.

I plan to go fixed-gear later this year when I get a new bike.

Count yourself lucky. To me the part that sucks the most about getting injured really is the fact that I can't ride during healing. Sucks!
    Apart from that, I recommend fixed, it's great fun - to me it can really bring a whole new aspect of enjoyment into something as simple as a daily commute. Do sport a front brake in the start though, it really is a good idea until you're a "tr00 psycho fixed-gear killah road warrior" or you can just stick with it and stay safe. I didn't, haha.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Jan 2009, 13:15
    my rear wheel get trapped in the rails of the tram in amsterdam with the tram coming fast from my back, fortunately the people in amsterdam are very kind and a pedestrian came to help me, but I felt panic for some loooong seconds

• Mick14 said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2009, 16:16
    I've been pretty lucky, considering.

I've really only had one accident, knock on wood, I was sideswiped by an RV a few months ago, it completely shattered my supposed unbreakable nalgene, and i came out with nothing more severe than a few scrapes bruises, and a large gash in my shin. No breakage. Sucked that the RV took off as soon as they saw me stand up, nobody got a plate number or anything.

Over the summer I was on a paved trail, and spotted some deer just standing on the pavement staring at me, I yelled and screamed and barely ended up missing them.

• The worst thing that happened to me wasn't that bad. I was riding my beater MTB at a 3-way crossing, in the turning lane. Some asshole in an SUV makes a shitty turn and turns right into me, clipping my arm and bending my rim. If I was on a bike I liked I would have been pissed. In their defense, it was getting darker and I had no light. However, I was directly under a streetlight.

Nowadays I always ride with lights, no matter what.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2009, 22:52
    Right, lights and reflective additions to the machine are GOOD!

Glad you are not hurt!

• As am I! The experienced really opened my eyes; I've always heard that I was supposed to act as if I were invisible while driving; after that I know that I really am.

• i know someone who had a REALLY bad one

this guy i know was riding a bike and somehow crashed into a thorn bush and managed to impale one of his testicles.

straight edge? I'll drink to that!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2009, 03:57
    Yes, that is a bad one.

• St0f said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2009, 21:21
    Head-on collision with a moped/scooter thing, a girl came flying after her boyfriend (who was on one as well) onto the curb from behind one of those vans with tinted windows. Nearly hit him head on, swerved and crashed into her. Tore that ugly scooter to hell, though. They were totally in the wrong, could've hit a pedestrian.

A human being in car is probably the most dangerous thing you can encounter in the western world, as far as how people drive those deathmachines. lol

• When I was about 6 I was learning how to ride a bike and my dad had just taken the training wheels off and I got a good feel for it so I went on a ride with my parents. We reached a somewhat steep hill, excited to see how fast I'd go I went down and I didn't notice but there was a giant SUV in front of me and I panicked didn't pull the breaks and when face first into the SUV. The lady in the SUV got out and instead of seeing if I was okay went up to me and began to yell "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!" in tears I tried to say sorry and then my parents grabbed me by the arm and yelled back at the lady and we walked home.
    Result: broken bike and an experience that traumatized me from getting on a bike until I was 13.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Apr 2009, 03:08
    The first time I flipped clear over the handlebars on my bike. Scariest moment of my life. I've done it several times since then though, so I've gotten used to it. It does happen quite a bit too often, I'm small!

• i've been hit by a car twice and have almost gotten into fist fights a million times over my right to ride in the road, i have also ridden my bike drunk a shitload of times, i guess i found these things to be more of experiences as opposed to horror strories.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.