Greatest Bass Player of All Time

• Greatest Bass Player of All Time

Discuss.

My vote goes to either John Entwistle from the Who or Jack Bruce from Cream.

Winner's write the history books while Losers bury the dead.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jun 2006, 03:24
    flea!

• Of all time, huh? Hmm... You need to take a lot into consideration.

John Entwistle is a definite possibility, for obvious reasons. However, it depends on whether you are talking about all genré's, or just rock. If you're thinking just rock, then yeah, I'd go for Entwistle.

However, if you're thinking all genré's, the undisputed champion would have to be Victor Wooten. The man is insane, as you know, and there's really not much that can be used against him. Though Billy Sheehan could give him a run for his money.

Flea is another great choice, though I don't know if I'd put him higher than Entwistle. Jack Bruce is good too, as is Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Tony Levin, Paul McCartney, Bootsy Collins, Jaco Pastorius, and numerous others. It really just depends on what you're looking at.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jun 2006, 05:14
    Chris Squire.

• IMO, it's jaco

And I forget, sometimes, to remember.
  • geddy lee
    les claypool
    kevin rutmanis
    joe preston
    peter hook
    nick oliveri
    trevor dunn

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on?
    • turtlee said...
    • User
    • 18 Jun 2006, 22:17
    flea hands down...paul mccartney comes in second

• vee_91 said...
    • User
    • 19 Jun 2006, 10:14
    Yeah, I have got to say Flea as well! He is just too good! I just love the way he plays in their new song Tell Me Baby on the CD Stadium Arcadium.

• gotto put my vote on entwistle, gotto love him :D he kinda made the bass solo with the whos song "my generation" ^^

1-2-3-4!
    Hey ho let's go
  • Greatest? Probably Wooten.

Favorite? Les Claypool.

"You all did horribly. Your parents have received phone calls informing them to love you less"~Ms. Bitters
    • fry1077 said...
    • User
    • 3 Jul 2006, 02:02

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 4 Aug 2011, 15:50
    • nuws said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2006, 13:01
    Flea

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Jul 2006, 18:51
    Les Claypool or Flea... both are amazing.

• It's too hard to order them,but here is my list:

Geddy Lee
    Chris Squire
    Cliff Burton
    John Myung
    Flea
    John Entwhistle
    Jaco Pastorius
    Stanley Clarke
    Mike Rutherford

I just thought I'd add that though Flea is a good bassist,he has little musical knowledge,and is not as "sensitive" a bassist to the music as,say,Mike Rutherford,who knows exactly what is required for a song and fits his part in perfectly.

• "I just thought I'd add that though Flea is a good bassist,he has little musical knowledge,and is not as "sensitive" a bassist to the music as,say,Mike Rutherford,who knows exactly what is required for a song and fits his part in perfectly."

I'd beg to differ. Really, it's hard to compare the two of them when talking about their "sensitivity" to the music, because what they played was so different from each other, it just can't be compared at all. But, if you want to talk about musical knowledge (and I'm assuming you're talking about theory), then Flea knows a lot more than you might think. He started off as a trumpet player (and still holds that today), so he obviously knows how to read sheet music. Along with that, he would have to know the theory behind sheet music, and everything else that goes with it. So he knows his theory.

If you want to talk about fitting a part in a song, then Flea does it just as well, if not better, than most bassists. It's just that the music he plays requires the bass to be more profound and be in the forefront as opposed to the rear. Which isn't to say that he can't just sit back and let the guitarist, vocalist or drummer take over. It's just that the music he plays doesn't really call for him to do that as much. At least not with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (go take a listen to The Mars Volta's first album, De-Loused in the Comatorium, which Flea played bass for entirely; the bass is only heard either giving small fills, or a small solo in the last song. Other than that, it's in the background totally, showing that Flea does, in fact, know how to "fit his part" in a song perfectly as well).

I agree mostly with your list, though there are a few people missing. At least in my opinion.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jul 2006, 17:01
    greatest would be Entwhistle or Jaco, but my idol is *don't laugh* Chris Murphy of Sloan.

• Just thought I'd add Billy Sheehan to my list...I just watched a video of him soloing,and my god,there are no words...

• You all like Flea, huh... Well from what I've heard, he doesn't sound that awesome. I mean, it's not bad or anything, but it hasn't made me stop dead and think 'how the fuck...', or just marvel at his music. Only Jaco has done that.

• Katanalad:
    Go to the "Check This Shit Out" thread and check out the videos I've put up. Namely, the one by Billy Sheehan. And pretty much any of the ones with Victor Wooten in them. And the Flea one isn't bad either. *shrugs* Might give you some more stuff to marvel at.

• Yeah, I've watched some Wooten videos, and have an album or two of the man, and he is incredible. I can't really watch videos, being on dialup, but I have tortured myself for some Jaco videos and stuff, and that's well worth it.

• Gots to be Jaco. For some real slap, I give my vote to Louis Johnson.

• pomade said...
    • User
    • 19 Jul 2006, 19:20
    Pastorius!! It's not just that he is a good player, but his ideas and the way he is playing is just incredible

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Jul 2006, 22:24
    Myself, the best Bass Player alive today would be Flea, but Entwistle was fantastic as was Jaco. The best bassist I've seen live (I've never been to a big concert) has to be a Blues/Funk Bassist who playes for a Guy called Ian Siegal. I saw him in Abertyleri Blues Festival, and he was fantastic!

• pomade said:
    Pastorius!! It's not just that he is a good player, but his ideas and the way he is playing is just incredible

Yep, without him, we wouldn't have even thought of some of the stuff that's now normal. Would fretless bass guitars even be around?

• Flea, (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
    Cliff Burton (Ex Metallica) (RIP)
    and Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Que?
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.