Antony & The Johnsons, December 8

• SevenUp said...
    • User
    • 16 Dec 2005, 07:24

Antony & The Johnsons, December 8

Let me introduce myself, i'm Roy, living in Utrecht, the Netherlands. I just joined this group, and it seems there hasn't been much chit chat going on in here. So i'll start.

Last week we (me and my boyfriend) went to see Antony & The Johnsons in the Carré theatre, Amsterdam. Since there are two other Dutch people in here, were you there? It was amazing... Not only to see him perform, but especially in that place. An odd choice for an 'alternative' artist, since it's a lot larger than a standard concert hall, and it's usually exclusive to more classical music or musicals.

The reason why Antony chose the Carré was explained by himself after the first song. Two years ago, when touring with Lou Reed as a backing singer, they also performed at the Carré, and it struck him as one of the most beautiful theatres in the world. He's right, i guess.

So, he must have been very nervous and very anxious to perform, and the atmosphere definitely benefitted from that. He was joking inbetween songs, talking to the audience... i never had such a great laugh at a concert as then.

The music was mesmerizing, that's all i can say. He had a full band that followed the arrangements as on the record, but you could tell he had been playing the songs for awhile now, playing with timbre and timing and such. If there's any chance of seeing him perform (although i think he's done touring now for awhile), go for it...

If i hadn't been at the Arcade Fire, March this year in the Melkweg, this would've been my concert of the year.
    Antony and the Johnsons

• kurmidt said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2006, 22:02
    hi roy, this group seems quiet.

i love antony and i love arcade.. i haven't seen either live, but i plan to.

cheers!

|<urmy ♫
  • I saw Arcade Fire a few months ago in San Francisco. It was wonderful. Their music is so wonderful-- it's almost overwhelming live.

• SevenUp said...
    • User
    • 5 May 2006, 10:53
    what's even more amazing... after i saw The Arcade Fire in March, i saw them again at the Lowlands festival, it was just as amazing as the first time. These guys work their asses off at every single show. Thumbs up.

But what about Antony? Anyone else seen them live?

• Llapen said...
    • User
    • 9 May 2006, 22:28
    I haven't seen Antony live, but I was living in London when he and the Johnsons won the Mercury Prize last year. He was all over television and I was incredibly proud of him and the band. I first heard "Hope There's Someone" from a link on Pitchfork and nearly fell of my chair. I've been hooked every since. If he comes to NYC soon, I'm definitely going to be in the audience.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jul 2006, 16:03
    He's a haunting, brave and excellent artist.

I was lucky enough to see him at a recording for the BBC.

Of course all his songs were fantastic but I was really struck by his cover of Candy Says - I didn't think the VU version could be improved upon. I was wrong.

• I am absolutely in love with Antony. My ex-boyfriend turned me onto him last summer, and I haven't been able to get enough of him. My favorite songs are "Fell In Love With a Dead Boy" and "Cripple and the Starfish." I would kill to see him live. I need to find him on LP. I want to curl up this winter with Antony on the record player.
    Oh, and I love Arcade Fire also. You are a lucky man. Hey, if you love Arcade Fire, have you listened to Final Fantasy?

always
    aeric
    • SevenUp said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2006, 15:46
    Yup... seen him perform last spring. That guy is so inventive with his music, can't believe the sounds he pulled out of his violin. As an encore, he played the first 15 minutes of OMD's Dazzle Ships LP, which i've never heard of, but am very curious about now. Amazing...

• *amazed*

- just discovered Antony a couple of hours ago...
    * it's intense
    * wow...
    * when does he perform somewhere near Belgium?

This guy's definitely someone I've gót to see!

• i live in a bloody hell hole
    but stil, i've heard some rumors that antony should come to Zagreb on QueerZagreb festival

me and my friend just hold our fingers crossed and hope that's true 'cause there's nothing i'd like to see more that Antony performing live

Though, i don't know what is the audience suppose to do
    any help with that? :D

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.