AOTW competition Stylee

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jul 2012, 06:41

AOTW competition Stylee

Try to listen to all albums, review and rate n' hate, then pick your favourite of the week in here (not your own, obviously), and the winner gets a plethora of prizes to take home as fun for all the family!

Or just listen to what you can and say what you think... like, whatever.

-----------------------

Next weeks 5 will be...

turny:
    Niles Philips ‎– Snobs & Robbers
    >Breakbeat, Jazzy Hip-Hop, Funk
    /?65vcugg6wr7kngr

lil__:
    Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musician
    >modern classical, minimal
    /?7fmwaxo1pzjnx89
    it's not electronic, but very repetitive and it has very similar concept to techno

triforceguy:
    Kettel - Myam James Part 1
    >IDM, Downtempo
    /?wmmoviym1xj

dub_freak:
    Muslimgauze - citadel
    > idm, experimental
    /?hdabhm6fx085tg8

yui:
    Hiroyuki Oda - Thirty
    >Progressive trance
    /?toizl41rg6iur46

....feel free to drop an album in early for 2 weeks time. Actually, use the old AOTW thread for that, keeps it tidy and organised.

• MayDave said...
    • User
    • 3 Jul 2012, 10:43
    Already own Thirty and although some tracks lack a certain 'wow' factor, it's a pretty good album. It's definitively not progressive though, more like uplifting trance.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2012, 12:09

My 2 cents

Pleiadians - I.F.O.
    Good, better than expected, really took me back to the 90s with that beach party / too many mushrooms / all night long on a beach party style, trippy and great for parties, but, I found it getting very same-y towards the end and would have been better as an album if shorter.

Lunice - Stacker Upper EP
    Don't you dare make me listen to anything 'swag' again.

The New Law - High Noon
    Strange how I kinda felt like I was in the Wild West at times, not sure how but it worked. Too long though as is normally the way with these instrumental hip hop type albums, solid though.

Boris S - Mental Disorder
    Drugs and a fuck off stereo system required please. 'Put your head in the speaker' as Mikes signature says. Definitely one for the parties, started off very predictable hard techno but varied moreso throughout and the latter half was more enjoyable for at home.

DiY ‎– DiY X 1989 1999
    Easily my favourite, variety, and classic, solid styles and some great gems, although it kinda cheats being a best of a decade, still, will definately be listening to again.

Overall;

DiY > The New Law > Boris S > Pleidians >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lunice

• q_uiz said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2012, 12:22
    Hater. Also, it's post-swag, swag is dead. #swagfuneral

Btw I recommend watching this. I don't think I have ever had as much fun with a Boiler Room set as with this one. Maybe Kuedo in Berlin.

Edited by q_uiz on 6 Jul 2012, 16:56
    • lil__ said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2012, 15:51
    Pleiadians - I.F.O.
    I've heard Plebs before and it didn't impress me. Just ok goa trance album. I don't remember it very well, so I can't write more about it.

Sounds like nigger wearing golden necklace, giving high fives to his fellow niggas walking through bronks at 10 P.M. Shitty attempt to sound cool, black and swaggy.

The New Law - High Noon
    Didn't listen.

This is ok, would work very well in the club at the dance floor and this is what it is made for.

DiY ‎– DiY X 1989 1999 - Winner
    Amazing, more like this please. Beautiful house gems, very energetic, mixing could be better, but it's the only weak point of this. I didn't spot single weaker track. I've already listened to this many times and It'll stay with me for long time. Probably the most energetic house mix I've ever heard.

• Ah, yes, good ol' Bronks.

• I thought that lunice EP was great #fuckdahaters

• That Lunice EP was pretty lackluster. Even that Rustie remix sounded like some half-assed Glass Swords b-side.

• MayDave said...
    • User
    • 8 Jul 2012, 16:59
    q_uiz said:

Btw I recommend watching this

Wtf did I just watch? Well at least it gets him girls apparently.

• On the Niles Philips:
    Why the fuck did he decide that wobbly bassline would be a good idea in the first track?

Such a disappointment that this EP is littered with shitty, cheap sounding synths that seem to have just been plonked in amongst the lush sounding non-computerised instruments. It would have been so much better without those crap synth lines crippling the atmosphere. String Pusher was good though.
    5.8/10 probably won't listen to this again unless i'm shuffling my music.

what the fuck do i need a signature for?
  • The Steve Reich piece was beautiful
    Really loved it.
    I've heard bits of his stuff before but never really sat down and dedicated some real time to his work. And now i'm glad I did.
    This is exactly what minimalism is about, replacing melodic variation with timbral variation. Beautifully executed, the syncopated motifs managed easily to hold my interest throughout the hour.
    8.8/10

• Parov Stelar:
    I've only ever heard this sort of music played in random party tents at festivals, never really thought to chase it down much.
    This album is pretty cool, but it doesn't really have a great deal of longevity. It's pretty cool in short bursts, but for sustained listening periods the sound kind of tires. That might just be my personal opinion on the style of music in general though, rather than it being a specific thought to this album.

I'd give it a 6.6 overall.
    Although i will definitely be dipping into it again for quick shots of swingy excitement.

• Really enjoyed that steve reich piece, takes quite an effort to listen all the way through but its worth it.

8/10

• Glad you guys thought Boris S was decent.

Pleiadians - I.F.O.
    Don't have any goa, this was an excellent place to start. The sounds used were superb and it had enough variety to keep me interested throughout the whole album. Made me jealous of all the people that got to experience this music in large dance events. I was just born in da wrong generation.

Was kind of disappointed with this one just because it was my first time listening to lunice solo and TNGHT had my hopes very high. HudMo blows this dude out of the water in my opinion. I think Lunice Still an ok EP.

The New Law - High Noon
    Can't go wrong with this one. Great production, great instrumentals, great variety and great vibe. Did not like the songs with rapping at all though.

DiY ?– DiY X 1989 1999 - Winner
    Obviously an amazing compilation of classics. For me some songs fell flat, but overall it's most definitely worth returning to in the future. Nothing more to say really.

Favorite: IFO

• lil__ said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2012, 19:19
    Niles Philips ‎– Snobs & Robbers

Not bad, but it didn't impress me much. 7/10

Muslimgauze - citadel

At first I thought that this is easy, but good and well executed concept .
    Then I came back to it following day and it overhelmed me. It seemed dull and tiring.
    Very similar album to Shackleton works, but he does it better (it's not hard 20 years later though).
    6,5/10

Hiroyuki Oda - Thirty

Firstly it's uplifting not progressive. Secondly it was very forgettable. I won't remember any bad or good moment of this. Like most uplifting trance things it flew through my first ear and flew away right after through second one.
    I believe trance can be much better.
    5,4/10, still better than most trance albums these days I think.

Kettel - Myam James Part 1 - my winner (without counting Reich)

Good listen. I'd describe this as chillout braindance.
    8,2/10

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2012, 22:18
    lil__ said:
    Firstly it's uplifting not progressive.

I did say in the previous thread I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm a bit late to the party.

Pleiadians - I.F.O. : This was awesome. Maybe perhaps I've listened to a grand total of no Goa Trance. But this stood out heaps to me. Made me feel like I was racing on Rainbow Road on Mario Kart 64. Only complaint is that it may be a bit long, but I loved it none the less.

7/10

Boris S - Mental Disorder: This was balls to the wall awesome. Definitely meant for a club but that didn't stop my enjoyment. I haven't listened to much "hardtek" but this definitely sparked an interest in the genre and I'll listen to this again, when the mood is right.

6/10

DiY ‎– DiY X 1989 1999:
    I thought this was fantastic! I haven't listened to much house outside of deep and minimal but this was really good. I'm not sure what else to say other than I really enjoyed it.

7/10

Admittedly I didn't listen to any of the other albums because of >hip-hop. I should be a little more open minded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this week I've only heard that Steve Reich album so far and although it's very beautiful, and I would recommend that people listen to it. I thought it was a drag, it took effort for me to get through it. I felt it was just boring (2deep4me)

4/10

I do a lot of talking, but I don't actually say anything. Huh.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Jul 2012, 11:03
    Niles Philips - Snobs & Robbers
    >mine, no comment

>Really liked it, will revisit, more interesting than expected.

Muslimgauze - citadel
    >Too much on the IDM bleeps and bloops for me

Hiroyuki Oda - Thirty
    >Started okay but like usual, can only stomach a couple of trance tracks

>Now this I was impressed with. Expected the usual train sounds and to get bored quick but more interesting than I expected. Too long though in this busy manic world of ours.

Kettel is the winner for me.

• >tfw my album wins

Anyway, I've had a hectic couple of weeks and all I got round to listening to was:

Lunice - Stacker Upper
    >This one surprised me. Thought I was gonna end up hating it, turned out really well. I had to relisten, hell I had to relisten a few times. It got catchier and better each time.

Very beautiful, I found myself closing my eyes and just kinda going with the music on this one. Enjoyable to say the least.

Iszoloscope - The Edge of Certainty
    Fucking wow. Another one that surprised me. I've always been a fan of Breakcore and Dark Ambient but that album was brilliant. I honestly don't know how to describe it. The first track was probably my favourite where it has that clock ticking and then the drums come in and it builds up and up. I love it when tracks do this and this track felt very eerie in the way it did it, a great way to open the album. Another stand out track for me was Inseperable From The Void.

Favourite: Iszoloscope by a fair margin

• MayDave said...
    • User
    • 20 Jul 2012, 12:01
    Skankfunk - Air Gear OST

I think I've listened to this last week, sunday or something. I can't really remember any tracks but I didn't skip anything. Guess middle of the road 6.5/10.

• Alec Empire - Hypermodern Jazz 2000.5
    I dunno, this didn't really fly with me, I guess I'm not much of a jazz guy.

5/10

Skankfunk - Air Gear OST
    This was really fun, makes me want to type out lots of emoticons.

8/10

Damn, this album is pretty neat. Reminds me of Huoratron for some reason. I was reading an archived /k/ innawoods thread while listening, I guess it somewhat boosted the dark ambient feels.

9/10

>nothing to say
    >review anyways

>opinions
  • REPOSTED IN CORRECT THREAD

Well I've finally been able to listen to music again properly after getting back from my trip so I've been slowly working through the backlog, these are my impressions from the albums of the first week:

Lunice - Stacker Upper
    The more I listen to this, the more I dislike it, it is just so obnoxious, samey and badly produced. The Noaipre remix is pretty good though, probably the only track that I might actually listen to again. 4/10

The New Law - High Noon
    Well produced, although I am not sure it needs the Wild West gimmick as it doesn't seem to do anything with it. The one non-instrumental track was really bad and I keep getting the feeling that this should be a D&B album instead of an instrumental hip-hop/backpambient/downtempo/whatever the fuck album, mostly from the production choices and the structures of the songs. It also has no reason to be 75 minutes long, but overall it was a pleasant enough background listen yet I would not keep it in my library. 6/10

Its what underground raves sounded like in cheesy early-2000s action movies. I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. The mastering is appallingly bad, sounds like a seriously amateur production. I suppose its catchy enough and gets you going if something like this was dropped in a set but an entire fucking album of this ? nah lel 3/10

DiY
    Its good, but its not as great as you guys make it out to be, and the mixing is really bad most of the time. The song selection makes up for it somewhat though and for a compilation this obscure, its much better than I would or could have expected. Its the sort of shit I would play as background music at a family gathering. Definitely the best out of the first week. 7.5/10

• lil__ said...
    • User
    • 27 Jul 2012, 14:13

Didn't like it.
    It failed at what I think it was supposed to do - creating dark atmosphere of fear.
    I wasn't scared, those beats were disgusting.

3.5/10

• lil__ said:

Didn't like it.
    It failed at what I think it was supposed to do - creating dark atmosphere of fear.
    I wasn't scared, those beats were disgusting.

3.5/10

We must have been listening to different albums.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Jul 2012, 14:25
    Dan Habarbam - From the Known
    Got bored.

Alec Empire - Hypermodern Jazz 2000.5
    Stick to digital hardcore.

Had potential, didn't reach it, occasional good bits.

Vladislav Delay - Multila
    Spent the whole thing waiting for the music to start.

Skankfunk - Air Gear OST:
    Sorry ninja, too computer game for me.

Marek Hemmann - In Between
    Favourite of the lost, saved for next time on the beach.

• WEEK TWO OPINIONS:
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
    I am always a sucker for minimalism and this is one of the all-time greatest works in the genre, along greats like In C or Tabula Rasa. Absolutely sublime. 9.5/10

Skeewiff - Electro Swing & Gospel Breaks
    Electro swing is literally the worst thing ever. -10/10

Its good enough as far as this particular brand of downtempo goes, but holy shit the acid bass on this album sounds awful and is really overused, if he didn't use it on any tracks, the album could actually be considered good. Also, the two remixes are absolutely terrible. 6/10

Muslimgauze - Citadel
    Having never listened to Muslimgauze before, I now definitely see why Shackleton is compared to him every now and then. At times I would have never guessed it was a 1994 release, very much ahead of its time, even though there are definitely similarities to a lot of the Artificial Intelligence style stuff. Very good stuff, definitely going to have to explore his discography more. 9/10

Hiroyuki Oda - Thirty
    this is just bad in every way. 0/10

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.