• szarka said...
    • User
    • 11 Dec 2009, 23:37
    FLAC for the stuff that warrants it. MP3 with LAME at highest quality VBR for everything else.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2009, 23:32
    szarka said:
    FLAC for the stuff that warrants it. MP3 with LAME at highest quality VBR for everything else.

this guy knows his shit ;)

• like most people, minimum 192, usually 320.

Even if bootlegs rarely reach that quality I always try and grab ones ripped at atleast 192

• I try to get everything between 192 and 320.

• 128. Works for me.

• 320. I'm awfully picky. Music has been my lifestyle for a very long time and I can barely tolerate songs at 192 kbps or lower, if ever. I now notice the bad quality when you compare 128 kbps with 320 (luckily, I don't notice quality loss when comparing FLAC and MP3. I would kill myself >.>). Most of my songs are in 256 - 320 kbps, and for bands that are not necessarily my favorites, I have them at 192. One or two albums must be at 128, but I really avoid that as possible.
    I wish I didn't notice the actual quality loss, in that way I could fit all my library in my iPod :(.

• 192 unless it's at a comparable VBR or the original mp3 is at a lesser rate or close to it, like 256 kpbs i don't typically downconvert but 320 takes up too much room and hasn't noticeably raised the quality for me on anything.

angelisauce
    • myadron said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2010, 22:13
    V0, 320, FLAC

...anything else should be deleted.

• reagan0 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 6 Aug 2010, 09:22
    Aside from a few of my earliest rips, I rip at 192kbps minimum, for mp3s, and 160kbps, for mp4s. But, some of the tracks that I purchased are 256kbps, and I leave them at that. Absolutely no DRM.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Aug 2010, 21:05
    lossless only.

• Karnen said...
    • User
    • 29 Aug 2010, 21:51
    studio albums is only 320kbps. if its demo or unrealesed, its best bitrate in internet. I always try to find best bitrate.

• 192 is the lowest I'm willing to go and that's only if I can't find what I'm looking for at 320. However, since I just got a new computer with a pretty nice hard drive I'm going to start looking for more flac

My super-eclectic score is currently

793/1000

are you listening?
    • reagan0 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 17 Oct 2010, 18:19
    If I'm ripping stuff, it's mostly for on-the-go listening, which doesn't require a high bit rate. If I'm at home, and I want high fidelity, I'll put on the original disk. The main exception would be ripping my vinyl collection, for which a high bit rate is essential, since each play of the vinyl degrades the sonic quality. In that case, I have the high bit rate aiff version for home listening, and the 192kbps version for my mp3 player.

• am7cxr said...
    • User
    • 16 Nov 2010, 15:17
    FLAC. Nothing else. It's called an external hard-drive in case you want to bitch about how it takes up space.

• Generally I don't care, I've got some Iron & Wine Stuff which is 109kbps and one Khanate album which is 32kbps but generally I'm happy with anything higher than 256kbps, which is the rate my CD's import at.

• FLAC...then you can also uncompress the files later if you want. Sound Quality > Space. External Hard Drives are cheap guys.

• 1 GB per day is roughly 97 kbps. so if you have less than 1.5 GB per day at the very least, wipe your library and start over.

with that in mind, i usually aim for above 192 or a v0 copy, FLAC if I really like the album. my average bitrate in foobar is around 370kbps, and my iTunes library is roughly 270kbps.

• I started using ALAC last year now. Lossless formats are amazing. A huge percentage of my music in lossless now, and that's no problem because I have a 1TB drive dedicated just to my media.

• 320kbps MINIMUM !!!!
    I LOVE .WAV IM ADDICTED
    MY TRACKS ARE ALL LIKE 64MB + shit each loool
    192 BITES forget space.
    QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
    although i have more than enough space for storage.

MP3 sucks in general

• GRAFIKREPLICANT said:
    320kbps MINIMUM !!!!
    I LOVE .WAV IM ADDICTED
    MY TRACKS ARE ALL LIKE 64MB + shit each loool
    192 BITES forget space.
    QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
    although i have more than enough space for storage.

MP3 sucks in general

I think the largest song I have is 1,019 MB.
    The smallest song I have is 19 KB.

• MP3 files with 256 kbps or 320 kps. To calm all the hardcore audiophiles down just a little bit, none of these tracks was encoded twice (no YouTube rips, no CD-R rips ... everything is fine here).

• jeff071 said...
    • User
    • 13 Jul 2012, 07:20
    Apple Lossless if I own it on CD. The smaller file size and the ability to tag makes it more manageable.

192 for downloaded albums.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.