Ripping comps?

• Ripping comps?

I just upgraded to Pro. I was using Musicmatch before to rip until the most recent "upgrade" doesn't let you tag individual artists on a comp anymore! (Angry leters have so far been ignored.)

So I figure, Winamp's good people, surely there's will do this right.

No? It doesn't seem like it. There's gotta be a way. Please, please somebody.

• I don't use Winamp to rip CDs, probably because I thought since it wouldn't display compilation CDs correctly, it wasn't going to rip-tag them correctly either. But moreso it's related to the fact that I didn't feel paying for that single feature alone was worth it when I could do the job perfectly well with Audiograbber.

Perhaps though there's some setting you're missing? I'm sure someone can answer this question for you in the Winamp forums (if you haven't searched/asked there already).

• At first I was really pleased how Winamp rips and tags. It gives you complete control over how stuff gets tagged--if every track is the same artist! They put so much thought into letting people customize how it tags, there's just no way they forgot about comps, OR there has to be a plug-in that lets you, right? RIGHT?!

I'm kinda pissed about this now. I bought two programs that don't do what they're supposed to. I didn't know Audiograbber ripped CDs, I use it for my 4-track tapes, I guess I'll use that if I have to.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2006, 02:30
    how are you tagging the music? is it Various Artists - Artist - Title, or is it just Artist - Title?

as far as i know cdex (excelent freeware for ripping audio) will let you do what you need.

-danN

• Artist - Title. Does it matter?

Thanks. But there's no reason one program can't do everything!

• Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    I don't use Winamp to rip CDs, probably because I thought since it wouldn't display compilation CDs correctly, it wasn't going to rip-tag them correctly either.

I missed this before...Winamp displays properly tagged comps fine!

• Re: Re:

Quoth aughtstar:
    Quoth spacefish:
    I don't use Winamp to rip CDs, probably because I thought since it wouldn't display compilation CDs correctly, it wasn't going to rip-tag them correctly either.

I missed this before...Winamp displays properly tagged comps fine!

If you rip them first, yes, but it won't display them properly when played directly from the CD. To be more precise, there is no separate field for track artist, so you're always stuck with having File Info display Album Artist - Track Title which when downloaded from Gracenote translates to Album Artist - Track Artist - Track Title. This will also be how the AS plugin submits the tracks and that's bad. This is why I rip all my comp CDs before playing in Winamp.

• Ah, now I understand. I guess it's just another program then. they should really fix that. Musicmatch does fine if the comp is in the database (uses CDDB not Gracenote. CDDB does not use "album artist", only "track artist"), the problem in when you put the artist name in yourself.

That sounds more confusing than it is.

Oh well.

• Um, CDDB is Gracenote. :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.