winamp 5.0x bundle

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Apr 2004, 22:12

winamp 5.0x bundle

doesn't the bundled version seem too much like a advertsing scheme?

~hs

• randman said...
    • User
    • 4 Apr 2004, 05:49
    Actually the latest version (5.03) doesn't include the AOD in the installer. I assume this is what you're talking about.

• Theres no such thing as " Free ", if it doesn't come with masses of of software properghanda it'll be loaded with spyware...

• winamp always was "free" but now AOL owns them and they have had to do some BS, but it really isnt that bad. nothing like what AIM does.

• randman said...
    • User
    • 18 May 2004, 06:23
    To clarify: Winamp doesn't contain spyware. Never has and never will. Trust me. All it does (in some install bundles) is give you the option to put an "Install AOL" icon on your desktop (commonly called AOD for AOL On Desktop). You can opt NOT to do this during installation. If you're dumb enough to not read the license and options when you install a piece of software, you probably have spyware all over your system.

I can assure you however, you didn't get it from Winamp.

• nlo said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2004, 16:40
    AOL Instant Messenger also installs AOD. My standard procedure after an AIM install is a quick rmdir /s /q "c:\program files\aod" and an uninstallation of "Viewpoint Media Player" from Add/Remove Programs (arguably spyware, definitely delivers ads). That's as of AIM 5.x.3292, the more recent versions of AIM have more intrusive things (a few apps from WildTangent, which's notorious even in the Winamp community for their dodgy installations of visualization and game plug-ins). But those more recent versions of AIM don't work with AIMutation, so i always just head on over to OldVersion.

Edit: Need double backslashes to display one backslash on these forums.

Edited by nlo on 29 May 2004, 16:42
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.