• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Mar 2007, 21:29

The Leety Award

Dear group members, dear David.

It is my pleasurable duty to present to you the very first

Leetie Award for the Most Elitist Last.fm Group

On behalf of the members of Elitists against Elitism We Don't Like I wish to express my deepest respect for your achievements. Over the last eleven months this group has flourished and now counts over 150 members from all over the world, peacefully united in their goal to spread musical marxism over the internet.

Being elitists ourselves, we truely value egomaniac statements like "I think we'd only want the more intellegent music fans on last.fm." As followers of progressive metal we applaud your technical - some people might even say: soulless - approach to music.

But despite all these wonderful mutualities, we don't like you.
    We don't like you, because our profiles are exponential.
    We don't like you, because many of your favorite artists are not up to our standard of highly sophisticated music.
    We don't like you, because we fear that your arrogance surpasses even our own.
    Indeed no other group has aroused contempt and adoration alike. You are indeed worthy winners of this trophy.

Let me conclude by wishing you success in all your future plans. We hope that our award is not only reward but also stimulation. And with these last words I will leave you to celebrate this outstanding accomplishment.

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 21 Mar 2007, 23:52
    I would prefer to receive an award for something (1,2) in which I had spend more time for the benefit of the last.fm community than for a simple idea that I made up in a couple of minutes.

Anyway you have voted and we won with the overwhelming amount of 5 votes. but I'm not sure about something isn't elitism about people that think that are better than the other ones?, personally I don't think that I'm better that anyone just because I listen to many different artists, I just created a group for people who has certain listening habits, nothing more.

btw:
    TerrorIncocnita said:
    We don't like you, because many of your favorite artists are not up to our standard of highly sophisticated music.

my or ours?

• crushtor said...
    • Subscriber
    • 22 Mar 2007, 01:24

ENJOYEZ!

By creating a group based on particular listening habits, you exclude those who do not conform to the criteria set out in your group statement. I could not join this group even if I wanted to, therefore it is elitist. Elitism is by definition, selective but not altogether superior. If you did not think your profiles were somehow better or a cause for celebration, this group would not exist!

Enjoy your trophy! Sorry we couldn't make it out of pizza.

Rock n' roll music is the best kind of music. | Crushtor.net
    • C26000 said...
    • User
    • 22 Mar 2007, 02:35
    crushtor said:
    If you did not think your profiles were somehow better or a cause for celebration, this group would not exist!

You are just making assumptions, I created this group and I know what I was thinking when I did it, and I know that I wasn't thinking that I was better than anybody that couldn't join it.

crushtor said:
    Elitism is by definition, selective but not altogether superior

Probably that's the origin of the word but certainly not the accepted definition. take a look at the elite definition in many different sources:

http://www.answers.com/elite
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elite
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/elite.html
    http://dict.die.net/elite/
    http://www.allwords.com/word-elite.html
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elite

• Aw, you don't like us? Well, boohoo and wah-wah! How ever shall we go on with our daily lives, knowing a herd of 19-year-old Opeth fanboys don't think we're cool enough?

(Now that's elitism :))

crushtor said:
    I could not join this group even if I wanted to, therefore it is elitist.

No, but it seems that 161 other people could and did, and the group is steadily growing. You might as well call universities elitist because they'll only admit students who answer their requirements.

I don't presume to know what went through David's mind when he created this group, but personally I joined it because I'm proud of having a musical taste broad enough to like more than a handful of artists. I don't think it makes me superior to anyone, but apparently it does make me somewhat unique on last.fm and while I don't think it's "a cause for celebration", it certainly isn't something to be ashamed of.

That there are some among us who feel having a non-exponential profile entitles them to jeer at others does not mean they speak for the entire group, no more than white supremacists speak for all caucasians.

You remind me of the social misfits I had at school, who rather than ignore the "cliques code" and thus defeat the system were united by bitterness and spent the rest of their compulsory education days becoming what they hate, mocking everybody and all the while proclaiming to be "different" and "better" because they were supposedly "open to anyone".
    By presenting us with this "award", you've become the monster that you fight.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank my family for their support, my manager, my lawyer and the creators of last.fm, without whom none of this would've been possible.

I'd also like to thank the members of Elitists against Elitism We Don't Like by presenting them with this link to the Encyclopædia Britannica. May it help you conquer such big words as elitism and Marxism by teaching you their proper meaning.
    (Better yet, may it give you something better to do with your time than trolling teh intrawebz.)

ETA: by the way, TerrorIncocnita, I couldn't help but notice that you are not a member of EAEWDL, but you do belong to this group. Self-contradiction/hate, much?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Mar 2007, 10:42
    Cherry_Sparks said:
    I joined it because I'm proud of having a musical taste broad enough to like more than a handful of artists.

This is why we think your group is elitist, the whole attitude that anyone with an exponential profile only likes a handful of bands and that by having a non-exponential profile you are showing that you can enjoy a wide variety of music without bias. However this lack of bias is a fallacy. For example my top two artists both have very large discographies that cover a wide variety of musical styles so they are bound to cause my chart to have an exponential appearance. That is unless I purposely listen to less of them than I otherwise naturally would say in a shuffle situation. Also if someone was to have board taste in music that would certainly include some grindcore however given that most grindcore songs are less than one minute, by listening to grindcore bands as you would any other type of music your profile would begin to process a somewhat exponential appearance. So the maintenance of a non-exponential profile must therefore take some manner of purposeful listening, which is the heart of musical elitism, listening to or not listening to something for the sake of appearances.

Cherry_Sparks said:
    ETA: by the way, TerrorIncocnita, I couldn't help but notice that you are not a member of EAEWDL, but you do belong to this group. Self-contradiction/hate, much?

TerrorIncocnita is a fake account!
    It’s all about infiltration baby!

• C26000 said:
    I would prefer to receive an award for something (1,2) in which I had spend more time for the benefit of the last.fm community than for a simple idea that I made up in a couple of minutes.

It would not be the first time that something flashy gets more attention than something small but infinitely more useful.

Anyway you have voted and we won with the overwhelming amount of 5 votes. but I'm not sure about something isn't elitism about people that think that are better than the other ones?, personally I don't think that I'm better that anyone just because I listen to many different artists, I just created a group for people who has certain listening habits, nothing more.

Maybe you did not want to create an "elitist" group, but it does encourage a certain, let's say, arrogance:

First, if you look at the defenition of the AEP, then you find that the listening habits you have give you the highest possible values. You accept only people with an AEP of four or higher. Do you think that a group like "We have an AEP between 2.5 and 3.3" would be as interesting to the users of last.fm? What would happen if a broad listening habit gave you a low AEP?

And then read some of the comments in your "Our AEP" thread. It seems that some people have been "working" hard to be admitted into your group, and once they are on top of the AEP line, they think that they have accomplished something that not everybody is able to.

btw:
    TerrorIncocnita said:

my or ours?

The "you" and "your" in the speech always refers to the group.

• Cherry_Sparks said:
    Aw, you don't like us? Well, boohoo and wah-wah! How ever shall we go on with our daily lives, knowing a herd of 19-year-old Opeth fanboys don't think we're cool enough?

You did read the group info?

Ironically, a group full of Music Elitists is open for everyone to join, cause the group founder is actually a Populist.

• While I was a little unsure of the final decision about who should get the Leety, it has been proven without a doubt that the only people who truly deserve it you dear fellows at "We Don't Have Exponential Profiles"! Congrats dudes. Congrats.

You remind me of the social misfits I had at school, who rather than ignore the "cliques code" and thus defeat the system were united by bitterness and spent the rest of their compulsory education days becoming what they hate, mocking everybody and all the while proclaiming to be "different" and "better" because they were supposedly "open to anyone".

It sounds to me like you're in support of cliques, as an excuse to exercise your freedom to be some of the most elitist and self-indulgent members around.
    Our group is open to everyone, beacuse its about discouraging elitism with an ironic sense of humour. :D
    Your group is just pretty much elitist through and through, no matter how you want to giftwrap it.

Aw, you don't like us? Well, boohoo and wah-wah! How ever shall we go on with our daily lives, knowing a herd of 19-year-old Opeth fanboys don't think we're cool enough?
    That's 17-year-old Opeth fanboy. Does my age (and the age of others) make me automatically less mature and less of your intellectual peer (or superior? zomg)?

Enjoy your award. I know we are! :P

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 22 Mar 2007, 14:53
    Jugheadthedon said:
    ... by having a non-exponential profile you are showing that you can enjoy a wide variety of music without bias. However this lack of bias is a fallacy.

not really without bias, take a look at a profile with AEP = 4 and you will see that you can clearly see the favorite artists.

Jugheadthedon said:
    So the maintenance of a non-exponential profile must therefore take some manner of purposeful listening, which is the heart of musical elitism, listening to or not listening to something for the sake of appearances.

I guess you are wrong, personally I can say that I don't force myself to listen to some artists in order to maintain a non-exponential profile , It just happens that that is how I listen to music. I think that most of the members don't do it either, I know that there are some people who manipulate their profiles in order to join this group , but that doesn't mean that all the people with a non-exponential profile must do it to maintain it.

Edited by C26000 on 22 Mar 2007, 21:22
  • I am not a member of this group, but I do have the AEP marker up on my profile to locate this group.

Also, anyone who inflates numbers to be a part of this group or to become a top fan aren't really worth considering (though I am sure this occurs).

In the end, who cares? Who is inflicting their ideologies onto who?

Is this group infringing on anyone by proclaiming they are more musically worthy (before you answer, I mean do they contact you and say this)? Or is it simply that they exist and you do not care for their existence?

If by the fact that you can not join this group because your AEP is not above a four is the reason why you feel the need to flame the group, then what does that say about you? Who are you enlightening? Who are you exposing? I don't understand the need for what you are attempting to do. Hell, I don't really know what you are trying to do...

Arguments for song length over or equal to plays is something I support. But in the current system, if I listen to classical music, this will either inflate or depreciate numbers accordingly (say 24 Preludes v symphonic works). So will the fact that I listen to pop and jazz of varying song lengths (from one minute to 45 minute tracks). The numbers are simply that, numbers. What I enjoy is the real thing you can garner by looking at my charts (especially the weekly ones). Not who I enjoy the most. And because I enjoy everything I listen to, my overall chart is still representative (even if it does not reflect one love over another).

If you wish to listen to more Dream Theater than I, that is fine.

In the end, honestly, what does it matter if I wanted to join this group?

Am I then an elitist? Brainwashed or misguided? That maybe I succumbed to the need to belong even though I already have my family and friends. Even though I have plenty of other social groups...?

In your eyes I probably already am because I am a member of BEREP even though I was asked to join. Why? I think they needed jazz in their ranks and I filled a niche. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt it was due to my extreme eclectic nature or my outgoingness and need to be a part of a something else (though I do really like their mission and want to contribute as I learn more).

The groups I join, I join because of people. And that's the reason I keep my eye on this group. Some of these people write extremely good journals and give exposure to a lot of great ideas and music. Conversely, I wouldn’t join Elitists against Elitism We Don't Like group because of the people and how the group is acting. It’s not that I think I am better than you. It’s that I don’t wish to associate myself with you or your group if this is the way the group and members act.

And honestly, a dummy account? If that really is a dummy account, why bother? The group has an open forum even...

Whatever... I'm suprised C26000 even bothers with responding to this thread and remarks. He has more than explained his intent with the gorup already.

• It's basic. We are laughing in our own little world at how screwed up this groups premise is. We are having fun at the expense of others. Nothing wrong with that, everyone else in the world does it why shouldn't we? Kthxbai ^_^.

• Ronohable said:
    Nothing wrong with that, everyone else in the world does it why shouldn't we?

Fantastic logic. Good luck in your future pursuits.

• wordsandsounds said:
    Ronohable said:
    Nothing wrong with that, everyone else in the world does it why shouldn't we?

Fantastic logic. Good luck in your future pursuits.

Someone who takes a joke too seriously is perfect for politics.

• ty for this award. *takes* I earned it!

• Sorry lads, I thought I was dealing with intelligent, albeit misguided people, but clearly I had overestimated you. You're the saddest gang of trolls I've had the misfortune of encountering online and, seeing as my nursery school days are long gone, I don't think I'll give you the satisfaction of irritating me any further :)

Goodbye, and here's hoping you'll find a better way of coping with your insecurities in the future :)

• Whether or not we are misguided individuals is purely a subjective point of view. You may see us as misguided because we find a humour in the existence of this group that you do not see, and we judge this group as misguided in turn simply because of the concept you are promoting.
    But please do not mistake our humour with a lack of intelligence, sadism or a lack of emotional maturity. It is an assessment and generalization I feel doesn't do us justice, and just belittles our sense of humour so you can feel better about yourselves being on some moral high ground (when in fact, there is no high ground!).

What you should do is look at us as individuals and THAN tell us how immature, unfunny and unintelligent we really are! After all, the insecure always like to point out the insecurities of others :P .

So please, go shove it :D .

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 23 Mar 2007, 15:25
    Greyhawk said:
    But please do not mistake our humour with a lack of intelligence, sadism or a lack of emotional maturity. It is an assessment and generalization I feel doesn't do us justice, and just belittles our sense of humour so you can feel better about yourselves being on some moral high ground (when in fact, there is no high ground!).

Please don't mistake a simple idea and a owner approval group with elitism, do you think that the Real Avatar group is elitist because they only allow people with real avatar? , elitism is always related with the fact or the idea of the being better than the others, and this group is not about that.

:O I'm tired of saying the same thing again and again, repling to hate mail, hate shoutboxes and now this thread!. Can you (WDHEP and EAEWDL members) help me to rewrite the description text to make it look less elitist in your (EAEWDL members) elitist obsessed eyes?, It will save me some time not having to reply the hate mail/shouts/posts that I recieve for this group :S

• This thread isn't a hate thread like we have been saying. Nothing wrong with being elitists we just don't approve. Don't change your group because you get shit for it just keep it the same way it is and enjoy it yourself. Caring about what others think so much is what made this snowball, if I was a part of this group I would seriously just laugh xD. It is so pompous to come into another forum posting about how they elitist they are and I think it is fucking hilarious I don't know about you guys.

Get.Over.It. Even though the internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS no need to flip out so much.

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 23 Mar 2007, 19:56
    I just wanted to save me some time :|, thanks for your help anyway.

• Jugheadthedon said:
    Cherry_Sparks said:
    I joined it because I'm proud of having a musical taste broad enough to like more than a handful of artists.

This is why we think your group is elitist, the whole attitude that anyone with an exponential profile only likes a handful of bands and that by having a non-exponential profile you are showing that you can enjoy a wide variety of music without bias. However this lack of bias is a fallacy. For example my top two artists both have very large discographies that cover a wide variety of musical styles so they are bound to cause my chart to have an exponential appearance. That is unless I purposely listen to less of them than I otherwise naturally would say in a shuffle situation. Also if someone was to have board taste in music that would certainly include some grindcore however given that most grindcore songs are less than one minute, by listening to grindcore bands as you would any other type of music your profile would begin to process a somewhat exponential appearance. So the maintenance of a non-exponential profile must therefore take some manner of purposeful listening, which is the heart of musical elitism, listening to or not listening to something for the sake of appearances.

From the group's overview page:

AEP Record = 4.83
    [user]NiTr0 with 26 678 tracks played

now, take a look at his profile page, and his tag could

Don't think you can claim that is diverse, can you?

EDIT: I have an AEP of 1.1, with my top artist having 1000 more listens than my number 2 artist, yet look at my tag cloud

[/url]

This space for sale
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Mar 2007, 08:35
    mbatterham said:
    Jugheadthedon said:
    Cherry_Sparks said:

From the group's overview page:

AEP Record = 4.83
    [user]NiTr0 with 26 678 tracks played

now, take a look at his profile page, and his tag could

EDIT: I have an AEP of 1.1, with my top artist having 1000 more listens than my number 2 artist, yet look at my tag cloud

[/url][/quote]

TAG CHARTS ARE THE ONLY TRUTH!

• Jugheadthedon said:

No, I wouldn't call that diverse at all.

Then again, that's not what the group is about. This group is for people that happen to enjoy listening to a large number of different artists--it's not about how many different genres they listen to.

I applaud you in your diverse tag cloud--that is quite impressive.

If you take the time to peruse the forums, I think you'll find that there is no group agenda. We're not here to put anybody down, to feel bigger than anybody else...we're just a group of people that share something in common.

mp

• This thread is stupid...it really is. Trolling at its finest, if I do say so myself.

• LOL SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.