Why do you have a non-exponential profile?

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 4 May 2006, 15:21

Why do you have a non-exponential profile?

Personally, i like a lot of different music styles (Post-Rock,
    Nu Metal,90s Emo,2000s Emocore,Power Metal) and i have my favorites in each one. Depending of my mood i choose a genre , and then i randomly choose an artist (ok not completly randomly :) ).

• 0Zero0 said...
    • User
    • 4 May 2006, 22:54

=)

Personally, I get tired of listening to the same music over and over, so I need a wide variety of songs and bands to listen to. I find new music on a weekly basis and constantly incorporate it into my music playlists.

I'm racing time for you. You know I need this now.
    'Cause I've been burning all my aspirations down.
    But I've been feeling closer day by day;
    You know I'll chase you down.
    I'll chase you down.
  • There are too many good bands out there and not enough hours in a day, especially with a site like last.fm to discover new stuff easily ;)

Want to listen to your playlists on last.fm? Have a look at TagBar
    • Dalby said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2006, 17:16
    combinationi of first two posts ;p

• Dalby said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2006, 17:18
    combinationi of first two posts ;p

• 4 reasons for a non-exponential profile

Firstly, 'cos there's no one or two artistes or bands that I really love so much that I'd listen to them at the expense of everything else.

Secondly, if I'm not listening to my own cds (I buy about 15-20 every month) then I find someone who likes a band that I like, and then listen to their loved tracks radio, thereby expanding my exposure to new stuff that I might like. And then if I hear something I like, I usually try to acquire it.

Thirdly, I'm into several genres of music, each one having many exponents. For example I like Miles Davis and most of the people who ever played with him - so that's probably about 100 different artistes I regularly listen to. Then there's prog rock, heavy metal, Norwegian jazz, British folk, baroque - each of them come with another 30-50 artistes that I like.

Finally, there's the gig anticipation. I go to 3-4 gigs a month. So, for example, John Martyn is currently enjoying a bit of a lead in my charts. That's mostly because I saw him recently in concert so spent a couple of days listening to his live cds to remind me what to expect immediately before the gig.

Love peace and truth incorporated for all who seek
    • C26000 said...
    • User
    • 15 Jul 2006, 04:35
    oaa!
    what a complete answer, thanks blackadders!

Edited by C26000 on 24 Dec 2006, 03:37
  • ...got to work early on Friday morning and everything was down except the internet, so.....used up the time :)

• ...got to work early on Friday morning and everything was down except the internet, so.....used up the time :)

• I listen to a lot of music on Pandora.com - which I feed to last.fm via http://code.yerblog.com/lastfm/

They tend to throw in a lot of extra artists in my stations, which is a good way to find more stuff I like. Also, my local music catalogue has over 500 artists in it, so that helps a bit. :)

I like pretty much any music that isn't country/modern pop/gangster rap.

• C26000 said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2006, 05:05
    i forgot a reason and it hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet :)

i'm a little obsessive about overplaying my favorite albums because i fear they will become less favorite if i do it , so i try to not listen to them so much after i have decided they are favorites, but i enjoy them so much when i do it. instead i try to find new favorites, but i'm not always successful in that search.

• I don't really go for any specific genres. I just listen to what bands/composers/performers I like. It's as simple as that. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

• I don't listen to CDs much on the pute, and I only rip compilations. My mp3 collection is a total grab-bag. The bulk of my profile is last.fm streaming and me going swinging around the net looking for stuff I haven't heard before. So no one or two artists ever really get a chance to add up. Which is just the way I like my music.

• Oh, and I forgot to mention my favourite player (MusicIP Mixer) which generates nice, mostly coherent playlists.

Want to listen to your playlists on last.fm? Have a look at TagBar
    • ed_d said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2006, 02:03
    I have a lot of music from different genres on my computer and I usually just play it all on random. With the music I really enjoy I have most of it on CD so I'll listen to that music more on my stereo or in the car. Ontop of this I get a lot of new music which then gets added to my playlists. I normally don't like playing the same song/band over and over either. I was a bit like C26000 where I thought that if I played something too much I'll get sick of it, but now I've realised that I normally get sick of it just after a certain time, not amount of listens, so I might as well enjoy it while I do instead of holding myself back! But then I will play it on my stereo, so it doesn't get added to my profile anyway.

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
    • C26000 said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2006, 02:41
    ed_d said:
    I was a bit like C26000 where I thought that if I played something too much I'll get sick of it, but now I've realised that I normally get sick of it just after a certain time, not amount of listens

mmm very interesting, I'll try your theory maybe I'll be able to enjoy more my favorite albums, But If I fail and I lose my favorites you will be the only one to blame

........ not really :)

thanks for the idea

• ed_d said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2006, 08:38
    Haha! Uh-oh! In all seriousnous I've found that if I start thinking I'm going to dislike an album and stop playing it, then that's when I actually start to not like it, where as when I keep playing an album and then get sick of it, I'll listen to something else, and then go back to it after a bit of a break. It might be different for yourself, but that's what I noticed after I kept doing it to music I used to like a lot.

If you're interested in Australian hip-hop join here -> Aussie Hip-Hop
    Like watching AFL? Then join here -> AFL
    Does commercial radio annoy the hell out of you? Join -> Commercial Radio Drives Me Insane
    Also check out my web site -> http://www.whoopwhoop.com.au
    • mat35 said...
    • User
    • 27 Oct 2006, 12:18
    I’m in to a lot of music. I can buy up to about 30 CDs in a month if I have the money, and attend a lot of gigs. I think digging further and further into the types/styles of music I love whistle keeping open-minded about other styles also helps out.

I was choking on a cornflake.
    You said have some toast instead.
    • NiTr0 said...
    • User
    • 17 Dec 2006, 11:22
    I have a non-exponential profile because I listen to a lot of bands. I listen to new (to me) bands almost on a weekly basis. The second reason is that I often buy records or cd's from bands that I really like (on average six or seven albums in a month), which I do not listen to on my computer anymore.

• Two main reasons for me:
    although my my weekly charts are often exponential, never consistently with the same artist(s) for any great length of time.
    Secondly, I don't have more than 3 albums by any one artist.

• I've got a collection of 3500 or so CDs, with a pretty wide variety of artists, so just listening to what I own leads to a very diverse chart.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
  • I listen to almost nothing more than metal, but their is such a great diversity in metal and so much new bands to discover, that my charts look like this:P

• 1. I listen to a wide variety of music.
    2. I download lots of music so I am usually listening to a lot of new stuff - as in new to me, not new as in newly released.

That's about it!

• C26000 said:
    i forgot a reason and it hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet :)

i'm a little obsessive about overplaying my favorite albums because i fear they will become less favorite if i do it , so i try to not listen to them so much after i have decided they are favorites, but i enjoy them so much when i do it. instead i try to find new favorites, but i'm not always successful in that search.

That's entirely me too :D I don't want to spoil something good by over listening to it. Plus, my mind is deranged..

• I'm constantly listening to something new...I can only listen to the same stuff over and over again before I get bored of it.

"I'm not vicious really. I consider myself to be kindhearted. I love my mum."
    ---Sid Vicious
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.