Moral or Health?

• I do feel bad for the animals that go through hurt, but thats not my reason for being a veg.

I became a vegetarian at first because I just wanted to see how long I can go without eating meat.

Then I realized I lost like 10 lbs after I became vegetarian so I'm kind of doing it to keep my weight down.

I'm very self concious about my weight.
    Before I became a veg I weighed like 107.
    Now I weigh in the low 90s.
    (Please dont tell me I need to gain weight either, it's my body and I like being my size. . plus I'm only 5'1)

• By the way in March it will be 3 years for being a veg-

I hope I can stay a veg for the rest of my life, but I do go back to eating meat because I become too sick/weak for not getting all the minerals and protein and stuff, I will only eat shrimp and seafood.

• but if i do go back ***

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Dec 2008, 10:54
    It was a common sense :)

• brilhar said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2008, 08:26
    moral, i dont really care about my health.. i dont wanna live longer or something ;)

• Lakman said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2008, 22:58
    Moral.. I really didn't see any pictures in my head of animals being tortured when I was eating meat, but I wanted to do right, simple as that. And I am feeling better morally and mentally now when I don't eat meat anymore.

• i guess moral, followed closely by aesthetic reasons...(who never felt grossed out by meat??) I certainly never considered it a health issue at the time although it might become more so with age...

http://www.mixcloud.com/crabnebula/

malkovich malkovich malkovich!
  • moral

i eat alot of burritos. are they bad for you? i dont know. but i dont eat alot anyways. i still cook meat for my kids cause they wont eat fake meat. only once or twice a week tho. is that bad?

• now: Moral

but as a kid, i just don't liked the taste if meat, so i'm meatfree for over twenty years now.

No Drugs, No Drinks, No Meat!
  • Moral

I couldn't care less what veganism does to my body! Good job it's healthy then ay? I'm very much a moral vegan. I did this for the animals and the enviroment and health are secondary.

Because I'm diluted and perfectly flawed, I shall live by passion and not by law.
  • Political

A myriad of reasons actually.

I went vegetarian after the California cattle-abuse fiasco about a year ago. I'd had enough of that entire industry and didn't/don't like the fact that agribusiness receives state subsidies and controls the FDA to put the public's health at risk.

A few months later i met my g/f.. who's also vegetarian.. and a great cook!

In retrospect i should have become vegetarian earlier since i have strong environmental concerns.

The political/anti-capitalist stuff is a close number 2.

Health is a distant third even though I think it should be higher.

Animal rights (which is my g/f's primary reasoning) is last for me because i eat seafood every once in a while. I suppose my conception of rights is discriminate in that it only extends to vertebrates. :\

• You are not a vegetarian if you eat fish and that includes seafood!

Because I'm diluted and perfectly flawed, I shall live by passion and not by law.
  • God why do people still find this so hard to understand?

emzy1985 said:
    You are not a vegetarian if you eat fish and that includes seafood!

• fotwo said...
    • User
    • 4 Jan 2009, 01:17
    Patient "shesbenevolent".
    For me both reasons moral and health.

• shesbenevolent said:
    God why do people still find this so hard to understand?

emzy1985 said:

Since when was fish a vegetable? I'm not sure if you're mad at me for stating that fact or you're mad at people for thinking fish are vegetables or are somehow less able to suffer.

• moral, I don't really care about my health, the most important are animals, my brothers :) i know i don't hurt dem so i'm happy, very happy.
    By the way being vegan is really healthy, so my body and soul are in the good condition
    Peace & Love for everyone!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2009, 04:41
    mostly moral/environmental

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2009, 11:22
    I became a vegan out of moral and ecological concerns, but also wanted to do it as healthfully as possible to best support my fitness goals (i.e., not be a "junk-foodist" who happens to be vegan). Now, I'm starting to see all three of these as the same thing.

Jumped right into the books studying all the WHO's writings on vitamins, minerals, protein and amino acids, reading everything I could find on essential fatty acids... at first it was just to have a quick response to any sly question I might encounter, but now it's all become a passion.

• No I'm talking about people who don't understand a simple definition. I was agreeing with you!

emzy1985 said:
    shesbenevolent said:
    God why do people still find this so hard to understand?

emzy1985 said:

Since when was fish a vegetable? I'm not sure if you're mad at me for stating that fact or you're mad at people for thinking fish are vegetables or are somehow less able to suffer.

• Tsumoso said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2009, 15:00
    Moral.
    Health is a nice bonus... though I still eat a bit too much junk food because I am still living with my parents. When I will be on my own soon, I will probably eat much healthier.

• shesbenevolent - Good I'm glad we see eye to eye!

• It started as a moral thing for me.
    But then I had moved and my lifestyle has changed.
    So it's turned into a more health thing for me now.
    I'm also pretty self concious about my weight.
    Although I'm not as active as I used to be.... remaining a vegetarian has kept me at a good place.

A connection that can't be ignored but ought to be explored...
  • I became vegan because of all of the reasons, spiritual, moral, health, et cætera. It completely changed my lifestyle. I feel aware and alive, unlike like most western culture that feeds on death.

• moral. maybe i eat healthier stuff than before but it was rather a test of how much i might dispense without meat and since last year alcohol and drugs as well.

smack! smack! sugar smack! gimme a smack and i'll smack you back!
  • moral!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.