Reading Ulysses!

• Reading Ulysses!

Here you can post experiences and thoughts about reading Ulysses.
    What were your (least) favourite parts? How long did it take you to complete it? Do you tell friends and family about it? Notes on the author? Other anecdotes?
    Share them!

• I forced myself to begin reading Joyce by taking a course on him in college (at Drake University). The professor was quite good, and though our reading of Ulysses had to be somewhat rushed (because we'd also fit Dubliners and Portrait into the same semester), he did also expose us to a fair collection of secondary literature on the book. I'm currently working on Finnegans Wake; later I'd like to go back and give Ulysses a slower read.

• I started reading Ulysses because of a bet I made ^^ The book had always (kinda) been on my to-read-list, but when of my classmates said that if I could read through the whole bloody thing in half a year's time (from january till start of summer/end of school), I'd get 10 dvd's (of Ingmar Bergman). I failed.
    However, I do have fallen in love with the book and am still reading it. I'm about halfway now (past the 'Cyclops' chapter). There's some stuff in it that I think I should read again, because it's either incredibly well-written or simply touching, though I do think I'm gonna let Ulysses rest a bit after I've completed it (will I ever?) for the next couple of years ^^

• TimeDad said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2009, 18:38
    I read Ulysses because of it's reputation and i've always enjoyed Irish or Irish influenced literature. While studying it in an academic fashion would probably be interesting it's not something i'd want to do although i looked up notes and such on the internet. The honesty and natural feel to the whole book shocked me because i realised that despite reading many many modern classics i'd never read anything that represented being a living human being so well. The stream of conciousness style, especially as Bloom walks the streets, makes other forms of writing seem sterile and almost abstract. My favourite chapter has to be Cyclops, reminds me very much of my local boozer and the humour is amazing.
    Not being an 'academic' (dropped out of school early) i often feel shut out from discussions on the book with all the references it makes to other works i've probably never even heard of (to be honest i skipped the Aeolus chapter). But even without knowing all the references etc this book spoke to me a great deal more to me than most other things i've read ever.

• I think that, for about three-fourths of the book, you really don't need any of the academic research in order to appreciate and enjoy what's going on. It's somewhat akin to the way you can enjoy a piece of music without knowing a lot of music theory, the life story of the musician, the works he was influenced by, and so on. But on the other hand, there's no question that delving into all that stuff can add new dimensions to your relationship with the work.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.