11.04 (Natty Narwhal)

• 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)

Is anyone else already using 11.04?
    I am on 11.04 for several weeks now - works perfectly!
    Still using gnome interface and not unity.
    Happy with banshee insted of rhythmbox as default player. :-)

• MuminPL said...
    • User
    • 14 Mar 2011, 17:58
    What release is it? Beta or something else? Is it stable?
    And does the release still use GNOME or did you decide not to switch to Unity?

Asking just out of curiosity. I'm a happy user of 10.04, the LTS release, so I'm not going to change any time soon :)

• its the next release coming out on april. The newest version is alpha3.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.04/

I tested Unity but at that time it was buggy. :D So i stayed on Gnome.
    The reason i updated is, that i am always interested in new features. :D

• I'm going to wait till release day, but counting down the days. Running Ubuntu on my work laptop so can't afford to take any changes, but that's not stopping me from checking it out in a VirtualBox instance ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Mar 2011, 00:20
    What are the differences from Maverick if you keep using the Gnome interface (other than the default software)?

• I think we will finally be getting that ~200 line kernel patch that apparently gives a really nice performance increase.

• Been using it for a while now. Gnome over Unity, still using Rhythmbox over Banshee. It's nice, but will probably revert back to LTS.

• I just got the beta yesterday. It looks beautiful, and aside a few major problems with compiz, has been performing very well. I'm loving the new unity interface, but it really could use more customization options. I demand more workspaces than four.

• Been in the alpha version for about 20 minutes... first impressions are good... Using Unity and no customizing... still on the live disk on an old Compaq nx6310... running smooth as glass and no glitches yet.. I'm waiting for the final install to hard drive on my main pc... I do too much music with my laptop to mess with it yet... ;)

Only thing I don't like is all the apps open in full screen... more later...

• I've been using the 11.04 beta1 for a few days now and must say that I'm not really warming up to unity. Maybe it's because there's still too many bugs. Still, I don't like the sidebar.The, whatever it's called menu in the top left, is convoluted and I miss my taskbar. I'm using gnome for now.
    It runs mostly well. Sometimes apport reports some background processes crashing, but I guess it's nothing major, it doesn't disturb my workflow.
    Running Matlab crashes a few more applications and strangely removes all titlebars from every single window making some unmoveable, unresizeable, unquitable, ... except from the taskbar of course. That does disturb my workflow. Apart from all that the clearly noticable changes are the new firefox, the new Kernel, the software center and the awesome new 3D acceleration for my graphics card.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2011, 20:24

Here are my Desktop and Netbook with Unity:

My Desktop!
    My Netbook!

On both:
    *Removed some of the icons I don't use.
    *Whitelisted some notifications/applets.
    *Added launchers for ssh quicklaunch, ETQW and some others.
    *Added submenues to libreoffice and file launcher.
    *Added Conky.
    *Added theme, transparency and changed size of launcher.

Shading is off on Desktop screenshot for some reason!

Nice blog post on top changes:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/things-to-tweak-fix-after-installing.html

• Well, I've been through all the issues since the first beta and they've all been solved. It was worth it. I absolutely love unity.

That is... with the exception of VLC player, but it seems that it's a cross-distro problem with the current version. It seems 1/3 of the time I launch it, it gobbles up every ounce of memory and brings it's cpu usage to 99%, making the system entirely unuseable. Ah well, back to Totem for me.

• Songbirds 1.9.3 on ubuntu 11.04

• MuminPL said...
    • User
    • 31 May 2011, 13:31
    I gave Natty a brief look today (long live bootable USB sticks!) and I must say it looks really nice. Still, it felt a bit awkward in use, probably because I'm just unfamiliar with Unity. There's no change planned in near future - Lucid is staying with me until the end of its support and then I will consider switching to Unity. I guess by that time most major issues with Unity will have been resolved.

Oh, and I loved one particular feature - finally a System Preferences centre has been added, which makes it easier to tune the settings :)

• Not Hate -- But Definitely Not Love.

I've been reading quite a bit of hate about Unity on the Inter-webs here lately. I don't hate it, but I have had a couple freezes --- BOOO!!!

But even worse than stability issues, my biggest pet peeve is the "If the application wants 75% or more of your display, it will auto maximize." Whoever made this decision should be tarred and feathered and then made to watch How I met Ur Mother for 3 days straight. Horrible decision!

I size and position my windows for a reason. When I re-open them, that's exactly where they should be. Other than that, I'm good I guess. Still better than Windows or OSX.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1709761.html

• Alright, I found a solution. 8-)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.