Filling out the connections list

• Filling out the connections list

Here's a few more that you might or might not want to add: The Limeliters, The New Christy Minstrels, The Mitchell Trio, The Seekers, The New Seekers, New Seekers.

The last two clearly need to be merged -- I just haven't yet researched which is the correct "definitive" name.

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 6 Feb 2005, 02:31
    Hey - thanks. Those are all good additions. MusicBrainz has "The New Seekers" so we should probably go with that one. You want to mod it or you want me to? Some would argue that The Chad Mitchell Trio and The Mitchell Trio should be merged, but they really are different.

I don't see that you've joined - why don't you come on in - the water's fine. Let me know of other groups - I've only scratched the surface.

Music, like language, is universal.
    Edited by DoctorT on 6 Feb 2005, 02:32
  • I'll certainly keep working on remembering other relevant performers for the list. Others that spring to mind is Glenn Yarbrough (and all the variants, which I'll try to merge together tonight), Shel Silverstein, and the Irish Rovers.

I'd definitely say that the Mitchell Trio was a different, though closely related, group (featuring the relatively unkown John Denver, as I recall). As far as the New Seekers merge goes, it appears that I entered it three weeks ago and it's just waiting for somebody (including me?) to notice.

I had actually hesitated to join because the "top artists" list was so pure and focused, and I didn't want to sully it. (I love the folk era, but my recent listening [and my collection] haven't been focused there.) Now that the list has been diluted a bit, I might as well jump on in.

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 6 Feb 2005, 13:47

Re:

Quoth gclectic:
    I'll certainly keep working on remembering other relevant performers for the list. Others that spring to mind is Glenn Yarbrough (and all the variants, which I'll try to merge together tonight), Shel Silverstein, and the Irish Rovers.

I remembered Yarbrough and Silverstein last night, but I was too tired to enter them. There were lots of irish groups, the Rovers being one. Yes there are still a lot of mods to be done. John Denver was one of many who auditioned for his spot. I'll be adding more groups after a while - got other things to do right now.

Thanx for the compliment. The "pure and focused" top artist list was mine before theiceman's stats were merged as the second member.

Welcome to the group.

EDIT: BTW, I went and voted on your The New Seekers moderation.

Edited by DoctorT on 6 Feb 2005, 14:35
  • A few more artists worthy of consideration?

Hi there,

Just a few more artists I'd hope you'd consider.

Nick Drake, Richard Thompson, John Martyn, Simon and Garfunkel?

I'm not so sure about whether you'd consider James Taylor, I would. But some people might call him more country than folk. He's a good man, though.

guichebo

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 14 Apr 2005, 17:10

Re: A few more artists worthy of consideration?

Quoth guichebo:
    Hi there,

Just a few more artists I'd hope you'd consider.

I don't see why not. I can't think or or remember everyone who needs to belong here. And, yes James Taylor can join the crowd as well. You might consider him more country, but he had his roots in the folk music revival.

Let me know if you think of others.

Tom

• And another one....

Hiya,

I forgot to mention Michael Chapman last time.

Thanks,

guichebo

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2005, 14:12

Re: And another one....

Quoth guichebo:
    Hiya,

Thanks,

guichebo

Just a quick check in - I'll work on connections when I have a bit more time.

Agains, Thanx,
    Tom

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Apr 2005, 12:39

Re: And another one....

Quoth guichebo:
    Hiya,

Thanks,

guichebo

First , hi to everyone on this forum!

Ah yes, the very wonderful Michael Chapman. My dad took me to see him at the Lesser free trade hall in Manchester when I was 11! First concert ever.
    And ... I'm off to see him on June 26th at the Half Moon in Putney at the ripe old age of 44. See y'all there :)

One other connection is Wizz Jones (www.wizzjones.com). He is THE main man.

• Hi!Maybe you'd consider Van Morrison,Donovan?

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2005, 16:40

Re:

Quoth gypsywoman01:
    Hi!Maybe you'd consider Van Morrison,Donovan?

Great, thanx. I don't know how these two escaped me.

Tom

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2005, 16:43

Re: Re: And another one....

Quoth captainpovey:One other connection is Wizz Jones (www.wizzjones.com). He is THE main man.

I think I'm finally up to date adding people's suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

• and again.........

how about Roy Harper? his son Nick Harper also has some stuff - it retains definite Roy influences, but is more rocky in nature. Nick is not so well known, though.

guichebo

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2005, 01:06

Re: and again.........

Quoth guichebo:
    how about Roy Harper? his son Nick Harper

Hey, thanx - I wasn't familiar with either Roy Harper or his son, so I went over to Amazon.com and listed to some clips. Nice. Nick, being a 2nd generation performer, I think fits in with this group, so I will add both of them. One comment. Never having heard them before, from listening to them I would have said they were related even if I did not already know so. This is from the sound of their voices, not their styles (the same way father and sons, or brothers, sisters, and brothers/sisters, etc. often look similar.

Tom

• Hi ! Maybe You'd consider Neil Young?

Edited by gypsywoman01 on 17 May 2005, 15:17
    • Yllona said...
    • User
    • 20 Aug 2005, 06:32
    I'd like to offer the following artists for consideration:

- Nina Simone, esp her stuff from the '60s/'70s
    - Bill Withers, again from 60's/70s, nothing later
    - Roberta Flack, 60's/70s, not much from the 80's or later although she's recording
    - Gil-Scott Heron 60's/70s, and beyond
    - Phoebe Snow 60s/70s
    - Taj Mahal

Also, too for the new generation I would recommend Jason Luckett and Eagle-Eye Cherry (yes that's his given name), he's the son of jazz legend Don Cherry.

You can hear Jason's tracks here, he's closest to the troubadour sound:

Jason Luckett - Audio
    http://www.jasonluckett.com/discs.html

Eagle-Eye Cherry - Audio & Video
    http://www.eagle-eye-cherry.com/music.html

Thanks for listening,

/yllona

Edited by Yllona on 20 Aug 2005, 06:34
  • I've come up with a few more.

Davy Graham (often spelt Davey)
    Steve Benbow
    Dave Swarbrick
    Sandy Denny
    Anne Briggs
    The Watersons
    Shirley Collins
    Dolly Collins
    Mike Heron
    John Kirkpatrick
    Ashley Hutchings
    The Etchingham Steam Band

Edit: Jackson C. Frank
    Edit: Al Stewart

na kavacam nargala stotram
    kilakam na rahasyakam
    na suktam napi dhyanam
    ca na nyaso na ca varcanam

http://theoldkingdom.wordpress.com/
    Edited by AnIndexOfMetals on 20 Aug 2005, 15:41
    • DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 20 Aug 2005, 22:27

Re:

Quoth AnIndexOfMetals:
    I've come up with a few more.

Great - and thanx.

I amy get around to working on connections tonight or tomorrow (sometime this weekend, anyhow).

• Yllona said...
    • User
    • 24 Aug 2005, 01:22
    one more suggestion: Seals & Croft?

/yllona

• what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Oct 2006, 20:38
    I'd like to second, er third the motion for Anne Briggs, and recommend everyone on opiumeater's list, as well as Maddy Prior & Tim Hart.

I think that The Serendipity Singers should also be added. Sure, people mostly remember them for "Beans in my Ears," but they had many great folk songs done in a style similar to the New Christy Minstrels. Their song Some Days is really good.

Mike

• SaltFM said...
    • User
    • 17 Dec 2006, 22:26
    I was really surprised when I got here that you guys didn't have staples of the folk tradition like

Clarence Ashley (was a long time recording companion of Mr. Arthel "Doc" Watson)
    Dock Boggs (the banjo picking legend)
    John Hartford
    The Stanley Brothers
    Alison Krauss (solo and with Union Station)
    Ralph Stanley
    Norman Blake

There's plenty more, my memory's just a little sticky at the moment.

And since this is my first post too, Hi to everybody! I joined this group because the name and some of the feat. artists looked quite good, but by limiting yourselves to the "folk revival" era and the so-called "new folk revival" I think you might be missing out on alot of fabulous artists well steeped in tradition and lore (which is what defines music as 'folk' by the way) who well preceeded any revivals.

The revivals bring the scene to new audiences, but to simply focus on the revival is to see only those artists who by whatever device can capture large audiences, and as I said, often overlook those who are equally talented and know the stories, traditions and ways of the music they are playing.

• British Traditional

I think such artists as The Watersons and The Young Tradition should be better known as they were both big names of the British 60's, 70's Folk Scene. A form of the Watersons still exists as Waterson:Carthy comprising Norma Waterson, Martin Carthy (Norma's Husband) and Eliza Carthy (their Daughter), check out their solo and group albums if you can. Eliza, in particular, solo or as a member of the family band is a revelation.
    If these are already on the list my apologies.

SoggyPee
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Apr 2007, 04:29
    Christy Moore? A fine revolutionary folkie

Also Ralph McTell, Mary Hopkin

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.