• New Folk Artists

Hey group - in my humble opinion, I believe we are in the midst of a folk revival that is bigger than the original folk music emergence, and that we just can't really see it because it's not "NEW".

Who among the new crowd do you consider your favorite performing or recording folk/acoustic artists of this decade?

Emerging and unknowns are fair for this list.

• Sufjan Stevens is pretty high on my list!

I've Been A Liar Ever Since I was an astronaut
  • Anyone hear of Casey Neill? I just bought his new cd on itunes called "Memory Against Forgetting". I highly recommend it, and yes Sufjan Stevens is a great choice also.

• The Fence Collective - Fife

If you ain't already checked out the fence collective up in fife, scotland : add King Creosote / Lone Pigeon / James Yorkston and Pip Dylan to your lists.......

In this elegant chaos, I stand to one side
  • A great newer, unknown band would be the Bedlam Boys. Old Irish/English/Scottish folk revival duo. They recently broke up, but if you can manage to get something of theirs, you won't regret it.

...and his plastic crucifix.
  • I'm quite fond of Ron Sexsmith. I don't know if he's considered folk or not, but if not, he's close.

Immerse your soul in love
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Apr 2007, 02:19
    Kate Rusby is quite outstanding. I do like Sufjan Stevens a lot too.

• The Greenman Festival

if you want to keep up to speed with what's happening with folk and it's diversions, check out 'Greenman Festival' tagged radio featuring all artists playable on last.fm listen to it here - http://www.last.fm/listen/usertags/bonusgrooves/greenman+festival granted there are come old folk troubadors playing too. But it is certainly a good reference point to what is happening in the new folk world today.

In this elegant chaos, I stand to one side
  • I think Iron and Wine deserve a mention. Norfolk and Western I'd say are a great folksy modern band, as well, and Songs: Ohia/ Magnolia Electric Co. are incredible on the bluesy side of things.

• g6120 said...
    • User
    • 24 Jun 2008, 20:10
    If I may I would like to say that I agree that the folk movement is still alive and well today and is being fueled by sites like YouTube. I am a musician who psosts to YouTube and I play in the solo acoustic format. I have nade many friends there and we collaborate back and forth on songs. So we have a whole bunch of us unknown musicinas who fly under the radar and shun the traditional path of having music be a commodity for consumer consumption. Of course it is very difficult for anyone doing it this way to get people to lsten to their music but we persevere at it.

Most people are so trained to view music as a product so that if it is not marketed to them through the established industry channels for commercial sale they remain completely unaware of us musicians out here doing it the independent way with limited resources.
    That's what was great about discovering this group because as Pete Seeger says music belongs to all of us.
    Pete Seeger actually enlightened me to this concept of the music industry training people to be listeners and by extension consumers of music product. A wise man indeed. He has devoted his life to bringing music back to the people. Hence the term "folk music" survives intact thanks to people like him.

Here are my songs if you want to check them out:
    Where Is Your Soul?

Cheers, Gil

Gil's Music on Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/music/Gil+Michael
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Aug 2008, 05:19
    Alela Diane, Josephine Foster, and Devendra Banhart are the first people I can think of. The supposed "freak folk" stuff is actually not very freakish and quite good indeed.

Oh! I forgot about Diane Cluck. Also, I don't know if you could really count Joanna Newsom, as her music kind of stands on its own.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jun 2009, 20:09
    I think there are really good new songwriters and folk artists like Ron Sexsmith and Jolie Holland but frankly, to me, most of the new artists people call folk are very bland and their music lacks solid ideas and structure, mainly the movement known as "New weird America". Specially the words! Very weak. But I still look around, hoping to find someone different...

• Willy Mason

unlimited rice pudding...
  • Folk

Joshua James, Cory Chisel, and Kalai are definitely the best up and coming folk artists in my opinion! There is also a very little known band named Tahlequah that is pretty good..

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2010, 00:42
  • A girl I went to school with, 'Cannavan'. She's absolutely amazing, but she's only playing in wee pubs and clubs across the province at the moment. She'll be big someday though, I bet!

• g6120 said...
    • User
    • 28 Jan 2011, 11:23
    Cheers, Gil

Gil's Music on Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/music/Gil+Michael
  • House concerts are the wave of listening to great new folk artists where I live, i.e. Florida. Also the festival circuit. I recently heard: Danny Schmidt, , Carrie Elkin, Amy Speace. But check out Rod MacDonald, tho' he's been around a long time. But my favorites of this decade and last are Richard Shindell and John Gorka.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.